Has anyone had stem cells?

Archives1

Staff member
Hi peeps. I’m thinking of getting stem cells instead of knee replacements. The doctor surprised me today by saying if I also get them in my lumbar spine, my incontinence may improve.

Two years ago my dad had two partial foot amputations due to diabetic ulcers. One of them wouldn’t heal for over six months. Then he got some stem cell powder put on, and within a day there was skin. Within two weeks it was almost completely healed. And it was *nice* skin. I also know skiers who’ve had stem cells injected in their knees and they say they feel born again. My knee surgeon told me that I wouldn’t feel born again, but I would feel much better and could put off having 4.5 lbs. of metal inserted in my knees. So I’m seriously considering the pricey stem cell procedure, especially now that the bone marrow they’d extract from my hip (very painful procedure) could also help my back and bladder. Thoughts?

Ah, the things we do to live beyond our natural lifespan of 27 years…

All I can personally say is go with your gut/instinct. I think if you believe something is going to help you, that will probably be good enough/will work better for you in the long run. It sounds like if you can afford it, it would be personally better for you, and you would be happier with it. What do you think you'll end up doing, or what would make you happier? There is a direct link between the spine and incontinence so I think you are onto something.

I had some stuff I wanted to ask you by the way if you get a chance.

Well, @snow, it's nice that we can live a natural lifespan beyond 27 years, unlike the way it was in medieval England and other places way back when!! On one of the radio stations I listen to, they talk about knee treatments that are done locally here in Florida that don't require surgery or anything like that. I forgot what they call the treatment since I don't pay attention to the details of that commercial. But the thing they advertise is it's no surgery and you're not facing months of physical therapy. So if it's advertised on this station that's in The Villages, then it could be pretty widespread in other parts of the country. I don't know if this treatment involves stem cells or not. They don't mention stem cells and in fact they are rather non-specific as they want to get you in to find out more.
But if it were me contemplating knee surgery, I would definitely not wait for one more minute to find out more!!!! Quite frankly, if I could help it, I would do anything not to have surgery!!! And do find out in your quest for information if surgery has to be the only option!

Snow, I have been saying for some time now that stem cells could possibly help our bladders, but if it’s being used for something other than knees, I haven’t been able to find it. Seems like it would be an easy solution. I don’t suppose insurance would cover it, but it would be worth the cost if it could take my bladder pain away.

My pain guy said Medicare just approved stem cell knee injections. I may be forced into it as hyaluronics only make mine feel tighter and swollen after 7 injections in 3 years.

My parents would be paying most of the the $5,000 for the stem cells. The cells would be pulled out of the bone marrow in my hip, then all mixed with stem cells from my regular blood, then “fertilized” with a bit of amniotic stem cells, remixed into one substance, then injected in my knees, lumbar spine, and feet. It takes one hour and the hip hurts mildly for a few days afterward. There is no surgery, no scars, just the needle holes. Sounds painful, but I’m incredibly familiar with pain.

One knee replacement surgery will cost wayyyyyyyy more than $5,000 - my costs after insurance would be $15,000 minimum. But $5,000 in stem cells (which regular insurance doesn’t pay for, though now it seems Medicare does) would decrease pain substantially in both knees, my back, and my feet. Sounds like a better deal to me.

So I’m thinking I’ll at least try the stem cells before putting big chunks of metal in my body. I’m also about to start a new, very serious, workaholic job, and I don’t want to get some massive knee surgery at the beginning of this job where I’d like to work for a long time. So I kind of think I have to do the stem cells instead. Stem cells are not going to re-grow a new knee for me, but if I can at least buy a couple more years until I have to get the metal knee, sounds good.

@snow with your reasoning, I think that would work really good..honestly it makes more sense to do the stemcells, and I will say I believe stemcells will be the next big thing in the future honestly.

Hi Snow, I think that's a much better alternative than surgery!!! Although the stem cell process may sound painful it can't be any worse than the surgery bit and you won't have all that post-op recovery time and physical therapy.
And @Koigal, it will be exciting to see what happens with the stemcells and all of its possibilities for the future. The powers to be in the country need to push aside all of the politics and really need to get going on that!!

Hi

I have had adipose (from back fat cells)stem cell treatments - they spin them down with an additive to dissolve everything away and leave the stem cells. Then basically they are cryogenic stored after they were harvested and then if I request a dose they extract a small amount and then culture the cells for 2 weeks and then I either would show up to have a intrathecal dose (injected into my spine) or alternative they express ship a dose treatment to me up in Calgary Alberta Canada and I place it into my blood stream with an IV drip.

I have done 4-5 intrathecal injections and approximately 5-6 IV drips as I did it fairly aggressively at the beginning as I was diagnosed with relapse remitting MS Dec 23,2016. I harvested my stem cells late 2017 and continued loyally until spring 2019. Every 6 months was doing the intrathecal and IV in between those.

I was hoping the stem cells would help reverse the damage caused from my major MS attack prior to being diagnosed. However I cannot say they really did much of anything unfortunately. As my urinary issues have progressed since my diagnosis in 2016 however there have been no new lesions seen on my annual MRI’s since the Dec 2016 lesions. However at that point my mri looked like a Christmas tree as lesions were throughout my brain all areas and down my spinal cord lol. The docs didn’t think I could talk, I really couldn’t walk and was bed ridden for the 6 weeks prior to going to the ER. In the end I am very thankful I have been able to regain like 90% of what I lost then however honestly I do not think the stem cells did really anything of benefit as my urinary nerves are basically slowly dying out is what my neurologist has said because they are no new lesions but rather obviously enough damage was done prior to them diagnosing me. Which is not that hard to believe in that my feet were numb for 5-6 years before I told anyone they were. I just thought they would fix themselves lol 😂. Wow that was dumb lol.

And I changed everything in my life once diagnosed, started a relatively new ms drug, had my hormones checked my testosterone was completely none existent. Am on hormone pellets now, anti depressants as I went through a major depression event lasting over 2 years - currently on cymbalta 120mg, started adhd meds to relieve stress, started urinary meds now on merbetriq, diagnosed with asthma on 2 inhalers for that, started taking an enormous amount of supplements along with organ meat pills (I take roughly 53 pills a day) and changed my diet no gluten, dairy free, switched from coffee to tea, was dry for 10 months and then reintroduced alocohol as I needed one vice in life. I changed so much however I couldn’t say my stem cell treatments did what I thought they would, however I didn’t do the stem cells from my hips which I still debate doing however, I wouldn’t expect them to work miracles either as I expected so much more from my treatments then what I believe they did. Just my honest thoughts.

Hope this provides some insight for you on stem cells however I would caution your expectations as mine was quite the let down as I had dreams of them getting rid of scar tissue in my brain however that has not happened. ;)

Sincerely

Jason

jwh51 - Wow what a journey you've been on. I can sure understand why you were depressed.I'm so sorry you've been dealt this package of illness and amazed that you keep going and having a cheerful attitude. All the things that you endure just staying alive and functioning must consume most of your day. I had a friend years ago who had MS. She was the sweetest person and had a joyous struggle throughout her life. Her diagnosis came in her late 30s and she had tried to do things to feel better before she saw a doctor.And some of those things were the exact opposite of what she should have done according to the doctor. I understand your not saying anything about your numb feet. We're crazy aren't we?

Ritanofsinger Forsure most of us are crazy in our own right.

Basically we are our own worst enemies. Sad really however it takes a huge amount of personal work to look at oneself and understand how we are indirectly making our problems worse.

For myself back in the day I was a workaholic trying to get away from my immediate family (mom, dad, brother) as my brother was adopted and had major issues and still does. Compounded a workaholic with an extreme high pain tolerance it’s not a good combo. However if I wasn’t bed ridden, puking my guts out due to my ms lesions I honestly would never have respected the disease and never would have changed my life if it was just my numb feet. Sad but true.

I just look back at everything and I wouldn’t change a thing. The one advantage of ms for me is doctors will give me really anything I want/need to control any symptoms. And compounded to that my body responds very very well to pharmaceuticals unlike most people. I just am looking for the positives in everything as negatives and negative scanning is toxic for me and I just want to make the most of the time I have left especially when I am fully mobile and my kids want to still interact / play with me. I am 40 years old. My wife is turning 44. Our eldest Erica she has just started grade four and Elliot our youngest just is starting grade 1.

Make the most of it while I can is my motto and unfortunately it’s taken this journey to figure that out. Working and money aren’t everything it’s the relationships one can gain and enjoy oneself.

Sorry I dove into a different bunny hole on this post everyone. :)

Cheers

Jason

Thank you, Jason, for your input on stem cell treatments. I need to do a lot more research before I put it to the test.

@Jwh51 Thank you for your help and for sharing your story. If I get the stem cells, I will go in with high hopes but low expectations. I do think they work better in big joints like knees. Hopefully so!

Hey Snow,
I’m a little late to the conversation, but I’ve had the stem cells and Human Growth Hormones in my spine after that botched surgery in 2008. The GREAT news is I went in via wheelchair and walked out 8 months later, no crutches or canes!
The side effects can be kind of wild. I now have what they call induced Neuroplasticity, meaning nerves that shouldn’t be connected now are, and some just get left out. You essentially grow a secondary neural network which is impossible to map as its continually growing now. I went in for a Genicular Nerve Ablation so I could work my knee socket back to round (currently egg shaped)before replacement, and it made the pain 10x as bad, couldn’t put weight on it for weeks.
Last MRI on my Lumbar/ Sacral spine last January the radiologists were stunned when they found I walked in. They spent an hour looking for my missing wheelchair, only to finally tell me it had apparently been borrowed. When I told them I walked in, I spent the next 8 hours letting a team of top neuros & radiologist try to figure it out! They even put “The Brain Cap” on me. Looks like a bicycle helmet with a thousand wires sticking out of it! The still can’t map me, and I won’t allow them any more poking and prodding, I was in bed for 3 days after the last “test”, and I’m now a glowing human nightlight for my wife! Kidding!
I’d go for it! It didn’t help my bladder, but I hike & mountain bike every day, much thanks to this Big Boy:
f51b19b0142e9286e05b583cf5a2ff5a.png
f51b19b0142e9286e05b583cf5a2ff5a.png