Has any one had the ERCP test for their liver?

Archives1

Staff member
So, as I posted before I got an appointment with a liver doctor/hepatologist on the first of June. I am trying to get questions around to ask and one of the big ones is about the ERCP (short for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography)test.
This would rule out or show if I had any blockage of ducts that push digestive enzymes to help break down food. I am taking stuff my mom got me to try to help my pain but all I do is toss and turn at night now.

(Like I laid down at 1 am and by 5 am I was still awake so got up and had breakfast before spending an hour in the bathroom cleaning myself up from a bad bowel accident.)

More and more I have to dash out of bed to have a bowel movement and More than a few times this month I have messed while in bed and even while asleep.

I just don't know what to do with all this.

I do have my charts that I keep and will be showing them to my GI doctor on the 8th as well and the liver doctor so.

I hope I get more answers soon.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I have primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) for many years, which causes scarring and blockage of the bile ducts.

Because of this, I've had many ERCPs over the years. I was diagnosed with an ERCP in 2001, and when I started having routine blockages in 2012 I started getting them fairly often. I've probably had eight to ten by now, though I haven't kept count. My most recent was just over a year ago - my liver numbers spiked and I started having increased pain, itching, and fatigue. My last two have actually been ERCP/cholangioscopy, where they use a Spyglass cholangioscope to directly visualize the ducts. These are much more successful at clearing blockages now that my ducts are in very poor condition.

At any rate, it's an easy test for you, since there's no significant prep, and you'll be asleep for the test. I sometimes remember them putting the bite block better by teeth so they don't damage anything with the score, then it's lights out until I wake up in recovery. I had a lot of nausea after my first few, until they started using a scopolamine patch to get with the post anesthesia nausea. Other than that, it's generally smooth sailing.

Other complications can include punctured ducts and pancreatitis from the contrast dye they use. A hepatologist is likely to have plenty of experience doing ERCPs, so those are probably not that likely. I've never had pancreatitis, though my ex-wife did after an ERCP and ended up hospitalized for four days. I had a duct punctured once, which led to a three-day hospital stay. Again, though, those are in my experience not all that common.

Hi @ltapilot, is the anesthetic used for that propofol? I've had that for colonoscopies and it puts you out just like that and when you wake up you just feel like you've just had a nap. No ill effects whatsoever!!! But don't drive or sign any important documents for 24 hours though. And take the rest of the day off!!!

Yes, propofol is what they usually use on me. It's not supposed to cause nausea or a hangover, but I end up with both of those. Still better than some of the other anesthetics I've had!