Hair

Archives1

Staff member
I'm quite hairy where I wear protection. This makes it difficult to apply cream and keep clean. I also wonder if the hair traps the bugs that cause UTI? I was wondering what the rest of you do about this? Should I just go hair free? Cheers Phil

That would be my recommendation especially as the hair also traps the urine odour.Because all that hair traps the urine it makes for an arduous clean up compared to going hair free which is how I have gone ever since the accident that caused my incontinence. Good luck.

I was continually getting UTIs a nurse at my urologist suggested trying shaving. I started around 20 years ago and UTIs have dropped significantly, the odor has been a huge part that changed as well.

I keep shaved, to maintain cleanliness and reduce odors. Plus, I've noticed a significant decrease in rashes and skin issues ever since.

I keep the hair. I trim it down fairly short (#1 or #2 trimmer) but I believe the hair plays a significant role in reducing friction.

@physlink, yeah I learned the hard way. I go home at lunch to change and had sap all over me. After that I shaved all the way. 😂

@Squander hi there, I think that sap is super absorbent polymer, the stuff that is usually in the core of the padding, cheers Phil

@squander there are two parts to the absorbent materials in a diaper. They are pulp and sap. The sap are tiny beads that swell and grow in size as thy absorb the liquids. A high quality diaper has a lot of sap.

@Spaz I think that the tena slips I use have quite a bit of sap in the middle. I have found small bits of white stuff stuck to me. Now I know what they are and why I get them, cheers Phil

I think its just better not to have it there. I know my nurses seem to be very pro on it, and they know I'm trying everything not to get UTIs

Every time I read this thread I get the manscaped commercials stuck in my head.. I try to keep it thin. The thing that I use is the OneBlade by Philips. The new ones come with a guard for well ya know.

Following all the advice here, I am now hair free down below and it has made the whole clean up routine much easier. It could be a bit embarrassing as I have a urologist appointment soon, but I guess they will have seen the hair free look before. Anyway, thanks for everyone's help, Phil

Hi Phil, I have been hair free for 10 plus years so having doctors, nurses etc. See me hair free is something that I have now gotten well used to. I do not think that the docs. not their nurse etc will care. I suspect you will get used to such visits in no time. Good luck my friend.
BTW, where in England are you from? Prior to emigrating to the USA in 1991 I came from N London.