Gym.

Archives1

Staff member
I’ve been working out lately and need some advice. I don’t wear a diaper to the gym because I go first thing in the AM and don’t drink water first. I only occasionally take a sip from my water bottle then when I get home I drink a large thermos of water thruout the morning after putting on a diaper.

I’d like to drink some more water before and while working out but am really just not sure how to deal with it not only in the locker room but the obvious bulk and noise under gym shorts. Any tips?

A lot of people in this situation wear some briefs or compression shorts over the diaper to help with bulk and crinkle. Of course, anything that compresses the diaper can lead to press out. I am at the point that I don't care anymore anyway, I am doing what I have to do. I really don't think as many people notice as you imagine, and I am starting to not care anyway. if they judge me for that, I don't want to know them anyway.

I will often change from pants to shorts or vica versa in the locker room, if you do it fast, I don't think people will notice. I have a few friends who I know from the gym now, and they know it and don't care.

Good luck!

Good advice caseywor --- When my teen granddaughter is anxious over what other people will say about how she looks in some garment, I tell her --- Don't worry, other people are just like you, they're not paying attention to anybody but themselves. And that's right. She doesn't judge other people at all so I don't know why she thinks others will judge her. It's a puzzle.

I don't go to a gym. I get my exercise at home daily on a stationary cycle. It was awhile after surgery that I started cycling again. At that time I used a diaper plus a male pad insert. Cycling was tough on leakage for quite awhile. I always have a bottle of water during each session. Don't enjoy the workout without some water. I accepted leakage as part of the deal. Forward to today...I am back to using my Hanes underwear with a much smaller and thinner female insert. I still have some leakage but it is greatly reduced. For the last four months I've changed my routine from 5 days a week to daily. Most days I cycle for an hour although I allow shorter sessions occasionally, but at least 30 minutes. This has helped me loss post surgery weight gain and get me back in shape. Keep exercising!

I am curious about why so many men refer to disposable briefs as "diapers?" When you do that the connotations imply "infant." That wouldn't raise anyone's self-esteem. Words are powerful. Disposable, means "throwaway" and briefs or panties for adults takes away the negativity. We do what we have to do on this sensitive journey. Be well.

It is what it is. Some people use the term fitted brief which I guess sorta does what you suggest but at the end of the day, whatever you call it, the fact is I am wearing a diaper. I sort of think my mindset is best described in the old George Carlin bit about Shell Shock and how we took all the impact out of it and dehumanized the contrition by sanitizing the language and calling it PTSD.

brave1 --- Quite right. Words are powerful. The tongue is often a loose canon. I taught my children from early on to not use slang in referring to their body parts. That eliminates a lot of disparaging remarks.

I call them diapers because I’m a realist and they ARE diapers, and we do wet ourselves like infants.

Newbie2This: Men's pads don't come in absorbance grades, here. Women's do. And since they "stick" to underwear, if you use briefs, they are less noticeable and hardly or don't crinkle, and don't "show" if your gym shorts are loose. Cheaper than "diapers", too. You can try using 2, one overlapping at the bottom. I don't shower in the locker room for two reasons: got athlete's foot once, and i go home right away, and now the gym is way too expensive and is a 35 minute one-way trip. Oh, that's three. Have a cheapo rowing machine. Craigs List is loaded with cheap, used machines.
Caseywor: good one. It may be seem a hard one to adopt, but it works once you do it. Thanks.
Brave1: We had a fairly long discussion about names, several months ago, (or a year; time funs while you're having flies). I asked, because I think of "diapers" as those cloth ones we put on kids & grandkids - with diaper pins (I'm pretty good with a diaper pin). Everyone more or less convinced me it's the standard and easiest term. Pull-up sort of should mean briefs, to me, but there are those "tabbed" kind, too. They use sticky tabs instead of diaper pins, but that is being picky. Even the nurses used that word at my last hospitalization. I got over it, but then I don't use the word at a casuall conversation - or bringup the subject except at the support group - right here!

Each person can call them what they like. I think “diaper” is easy to type.

By the way, fun fact, peeps: I type all of these long posts on my phone!

For working out I use an absorbent pad and hope for the best, I also will go to the restroom to try to force out anything in the system. I have worn a diaper to the gym before but they get hot and eventually irritate the leg areas for me. I’ve found some really good male pads that I use for the gym.

I recently got into BJJ and I'm using a pull-up. They work for the amount of time I need them for, however they don't seem to handle a full flood. Luckily though it hasn't happen during class, sorry car seat! I try to keep in mind what I drink, so its all water, some tea, and once in awhile a soda but that goes through me. As for what to call them is up to you, but they are what they are and like one great wizard once said "Fear of a name only increases the fear of thing itself".

That's a good one @RobV, the fear of a name only increases the fear of the thing itself! I agree wholeheartedly! I agree "diapers" is easier to type and knowing how consistently bad my typing is, I'm all for making things easer! Imagine if we had to type something like "maximum absorbency undergarments," like they do at NASA all the time! So I will stick with diapers as a general term or if I want to be more specific and say pull-ups, my preferred garment.

Regarding "diaper" vs "disposable brief"... I've used the term Disposable Brief a few times, with mixed results. I've actually gone into a medical supply store, asked where their disposable briefs were, and got a blank stare from the clerk. When I then said "Adult Diapers", She smiled and said "Follow me, Sir!"

When I went in for my last colonoscopy, I told the prep nurse that I was wearing a disposable brief because I have bladder issues. She said "Oh, a diaper... Ok, that's more common than you think!" A few months ago, I had a CT Urogram, for my bladder issues. They required that I drank 32 ounces of water 30 minutes before my scan. I knew that with my urge incontinence, I would probably not make it, so I wore a diaper to the scan. Sure enough, midway through the scan, I couldn't hold it anymore, and wet myself quite a bit. When the scan was over, I asked the nurse if the scan images would be affected because I had wet my "protection". She assured me it wasn't a problem. Then she said "If you brought an extra diaper, there's a restroom just down the hall, where you can change."

I think the stigma around using the word "Diaper" for adult disposable products is disappearing.
For proof of this, check out these sites which all sell adult diapers:

Northshore Care
LL Medico
Carewell
Avacare Medical
Wellness briefs
Allegro Medical

All of these sites use the word "Diapers" as much or MORE than the word "Briefs".

Now Google the phrase "changing adult disposable briefs", see what pops up more. I rest my case.

When do I use the term "Disposable Brief"?? If I'm talking about Depends RealFit Briefs, I'll call that a brief, or pull-up. It goes on like under pants. If it tapes on, I call it a diaper.

So you want a new slogan?? "Diapers! They're not just for babies anymore!"

I basically use two terms when referring to my "protection". If I'm talking to someone on an incon forum, my Wife, or a medical professional I use the term "diaper" whether I'm wearing a tape-up or pull-up unless there's a reason to be specific. But if I'm talking to a casual friend that knows I wear protection or anyone else I'll use the generic term "Depends". Sure, everyone knows it's a diaper but at least it conjures up the image of a pull-up brief. Plus when talking to lay people do they really need to know the details of exactly what kind of protection I'm wearing and do they even care, probably not. All that said if someone ever did want to know about my diapers I would be more than happy to discuss it with them in whatever detail they would want.

Hey @MikeD9876, I like that "Diapers! They're not just for babies anymore!" But as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't bat an eye to use the term diapers and pull-ups interchangeably. After all, all of us here on the forum knows what we are talking about! :)

I'm pretty active day to day not always in a gym but working out and just moving around with classes (I'm a graduate student). I've found for me if I'm in a situation where I might be able to change quickly. A pull on with a booster pad works. Otherwise I wear a tape on diaper. I wear compression shorts over them that aren't too tight but don't slide and it muffles the sound. A lot of how to best manage likely depends on how your own incontinence behaves. There isn't a true one size fits all approach