Got the wrong product, but glad I did.

Archives1

Staff member
Lately, due to having to sit so much for work, I was having a water retention problem, and my ankles were swelling. I wasn’t peeing much during the day (all the peeing was done while I was asleep. I looked up natural diuretics to help with this issue during my work hours since I don’t like taking pharmaceuticals if I can help it.
I read that juniper berry tea is a natural diuretic so I decided to try it. I ordered some from amazon, but when my package was delivered, it didn’t have juniper berry tea, but Cornsilk tea. I told my mom about the fact that I had gotten the wrong product and what product I did get.
I was going to demand the right product be sent to me. In the meantime, my mom researched the kind of tea that I did get, and found that it has been used as a treatment for bed wetting. I decided to keep it and try it, and I’m glad I did.
I have been using it for about 2 weeks, and after trial and error with the steeping time, I have been having dry nights ever since.
In a diffuser water bottle, I start it steeping before work, and I give it at least a couple of hours to steep before I drink it.

@ashdd81 Awesome. Sometimes mistakes are not really mistakes. I've never heard of Cornsilk tea as a treatment for bedwetting. I wonder what other natural treatments there are out there.

Is it expensive? I prefer tea to coffee drinking usually black teas. I might have to give this one a try if anything for a different tea to try.

Good find and thanks for sharing.

JT

It’s about $7 + tax for the one that I get. It’s a box of 24 tea bags. I figured it was worth a shot to try it.

ashdd81 said:
It’s about $7 + tax for the one that I get. It’s a box of 24 tea bags. I figured it was worth a shot to try it.

Ahh cool so not loose tea. When you said diffuser I was thinking it was loose leaf tea. Cool that it is in bags. Kinda pricy for 24 bags, but if it is working it is priced just right.

Thanks.

Yeah, sorry. It’s bags not loose. As for the price, I used to spend $100/bottle on DDAVP medicine that never worked so I figured $7 was worth it. I’ll see if I can find a less expensive brand and let you know.

That was how much it cost 25 years ago. It is a nose spray. It worked about 2 weeks at a time, and then quit working the next two weeks. My mom ended up having to get a new bottle every two weeks. $200/month was too expensive for a single mother raising 2 teenaged girls so we eventually had to stop getting it.

DDAVP was very expensive when it first came out. 100.00 bucks for a month was about right. Ashdd81, you might try wearing compression socks to keep your feet from swelling. Lower grade compression are over the counter, higher grade are prescription only, but can be expensive. I've been wearing compression socks for over 30 years. Insurance may help with the cost. You might want to take a water pill to help eliminate excess water in your system. I do and it helped me pee less at night. I still bed wet, but much less. The water pill works well, just make sure you have access to a bathroom.

Thanks. I’ll try the compression socks. I work from home, and my bathroom is right next to my office. So if I tried the water pill, bathroom access wouldn’t be an issue. I don’t yet have insurance yet. I’ve been at this job a little over a year, and at the last open enrollment period I couldn’t afford to get insurance because I was trying to catch up on bills. I’m looking at getting some insurance on the next open enrollment period since I finally have everything caught up.

@artiejr What “water pill” do you take? I think you meant to say “diuretic.”

Compression stockings are amazing, though ugly, tight, and stiff. Sometimes they’re better than edema.

Hi @ashdd81, sounds like you and your mom did some teamwork, with her researching that cornsilk tea. And it's always great when you end up with what you think may be the wrong product but it turns out to be even better than you could have ever imagined!
Now that cornsilk tea is a real find!!:D:D

The compression socks I use are called circaid juxtalite. These are by prescription only and you need to be measured by your doctor. These ARE NOT one size fits all. They are easy on and easy off. Talk to your pharmacist or doctor for advice A bit pricey, but well worth it. I get mine from Halo. Medicare covers the cost if you have an open wound, which I do. If not, you can call Halo for prices and info. They have great customer service

I often wear thigh high compression stockings to reduce my ankle and lower leg swelling. A very good brand is Jobst. The 8-15 are good for very light swelling but I've found the 15-20 work best for me. A great low-priced source for these is eBay. They sell retail between $20-$35 (and up depending on the pressure) but you can often get them for $10 or less on eBay. Just make sure to measure your legs very carefully, you can find a measurement guide on the Jobst website.

If you get compression socks, get the ones that cover the entire foot and come up to just below the knees. If you get the ones that don't cover the toes, it could be painful. I had some that didn't cover the toes, and it hurt. I switched to the ones covering the whole foot, it was much better. No pain.

The better ones will run about 25.00 a pair.( non-presciption.) The other ones with better compression will need a prescription from a doctor and could cost 50.00 or more, but are well worth it.

Women: I find much more relief from the thigh-high compression “stockings.” The way they roll down and don’t stay in place is really obnoxious, though. I think I may just give in to wearing compression hose, the ones like nylons. Too bad I need them the most in the dead of summer.

Here in SLC we usually have six days above 100’F. This year we’ve already had 13 - a record for one year - and we have two more ahead this weekend. Air quality is red because we get buried in wildfire smoke from CO, CA, and NV. SLC is in a valley where pollution piles up and gets stuck.

So I am not in the mood for wearing compression stockings right now, but I’ve had to because I had knee surgery a few weeks ago.

FYI, compression socks are only to be worn during waking hours only. They need to be removed when sleeping hours. Washed as needed,but at least once a week.