Going on Vacation

Archives1

Staff member
Good Evening,

I'm traveling for the first time since my incontinence has been a real problem. I've been too nervous to travel in airports and potentially, inevitably, need to change diapers, etc. surrounded by the unfamiliar. I'm. So. Nervous. I see my urologist Monday before I leave on Tuesday. Any suggestions on how to make travel easier with full incontinence? I'm a trauma survivor and had a lousy experience with surgery years ago. That's why I just stick with products. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for this courtesy.

I wish I had something of value for you to try. I hope someone will be able to give you valuable help and advice.

Ridge,
I have traveled A LOT since becoming incontinent. It can be tough and I have even had a few bad encounters at the airport. The best advice I can give is this.
- Give yourself extra time - You want to prepare for security to be jerks. 95% of the time if you opt for the pat down and explain quietly to them that you are wearing protection for medical reasons they will simply pat you down and send you on your way.
- Be clean right before you go through security - If you change and are dry right before you head through security, there is less chance of scanners or people picking up on any liquids, foreign objects, etc.
- Ask someone for if there is a family restroom anywhere. These are normally single use and you are able to be alone and change privately. (If not, I normally find the emptiest part of the airport and change in those bathrooms. Least amount of people)
- Be prepared - Make sure you are carrying on you AT LEAST three changes. That way if there is an issue with the flight getting delayed or anything you have something ready.
- Wear the best products - when it comes to traveling, don't skip out for the cheap stuff. Get a heavy absorbent product and be ready to wear it. (this of course is for those that can't make it to a restroom at all. IF you can, wear whats comfortable)
I wrote an article about a bad experience as well.
Ultimately, be mentally prepared for there to be one. I am not saying be worried or sure something bad will happen, but just be ready for someone to embarrass you. That way if it happens you can handle it with calm dignity rather than breaking down or lashing out.
Feel free to contact me directly if you need more.
Safe travels.

Ridge, I had a radical robotic prostatectomy 9 months ago and afterward suffered frustrating incontinence for several months. Kegel exercises and a prescription of Imipramine were helpful. Good luck!

I try to go through security with dry protection; then, before the flight, I change into a heavyweight, night diaper plus a plastic pant, and I keep changing supplies in my carryon, so I can change at the first opportunity after landing.

I have never found an airplane restroom that was acceptable for washing and changing. They are small, cramped, unsanitary, and nearly impossible to use, especially if you have another handicap.

I think Archer's tips are very good. I have only flown a couple times since becoming incontinent, but the TSA screening was my bigggest concern. Last month was the first time I had been selected for a body scan and as expected I was asked to step aside for a pat down. I was definately nervous, but had gone through this scenario a couple times in my head. I was determined to be honest and confident. I mentioned to the agent before he started that I was incontinent and he would notice my protection. He said OK and went about the pat down. Clearly confirming the presence of a diaper and not just a pad or pull-up he asked if he could talk to me for a moment. He asked me if I had a change in my carry on. When I said I did he asked if he could confirm that and I would be all set. I told him my supplies were in my backpack so we went to the post screening table and I opened my backpack and he looked in confirming two fresh diapers and a pack of wipes. He thanked me and appologized for the intrusion.

I could tell this was clearly an experienced agent. I doubt many others would be that discreet, so again Archer's advice to prepare for some embarassment, but keeping your cool, is sound advice.

Another tip might be a doctor's note, confirming your condition and the need to wear protection.

Patrick said:
I try to go through security with dry protection; then, before the flight, I change into a heavyweight, night diaper plus a plastic pant, and I keep changing supplies in my carryon, so I can change at the first opportunity after landing.

I've done quite enough flying in my lifetime, thank you. In more recent (my much less rushed years), I've opted for travel by train (love it), until a few years ago, on my Harley, and then the good old standby, my four-wheeler. I love the freedom, privacy and the slower paced ways of these methods. The train experience can be highly social...the bike and car offer the solitude I'm not afraid to seek, either. I, for one, am NOT afraid to be alone with his own thoughts.

Quite frankly, I just don't like to involve strangers or the general public in my incontinence needs and management techniques. I'd prefer that none are the wiser. Conversely, I'm quite willing to offer support, information and the humor of my experiences while managing my own personal issues. You are the people who understand, who need to know, and who 'get it'. We can share here in this 'stigma free zone.'

Well, I got more into philosophy than I intended, but that's my take on travel or maybe even life in general. Bladder incontinence, some time ago, became my 'new' normal. Now, it's simply the 'norm'.