Friends

Hi Rita, that's interesting about the Landry's chain. It didn't realize it encompasses 450 restaurants! That's amazing! :O No tiny two-bit chain there! I think Tom Landry could have had some kind of an outside connection, maybe. I'm sure he made enough money as coach of the Cowboys to buy into something like that! :D
And yes that is a neat thing to walk across a bridge from one state to another! And since I know you like interesting places, here's one I'd like to see someday! There's a town in Vermont that straddles the border with Quebec, Canada. I think it's called Derby Line, VT which shares the border with Rock Island, Quebec. There is a large civic building that sits right on the border. In the library the main room is bisected by a line on one side of which is the U.S, and the other side is Canada. The check out desk n in the U.S, and the magazine rack is in Canada. In the same building is the opera house where the stage is in Canada and the audience sits in the United States. Now how cool is that? :cool:

That is pretty interesting. I wonder how Derby Line and Rock Island handle legal situations like taxes and even utilities? How do they share the proceeds the opera productions? Obviously they've worked out something. They could teach our legislators something about how to make things work for everyone. I watched a show on PBS a couple years ago about an old two story house for sale in Canada where the front door was in Canada and the back door in the U.S. Talk about complicated sales! Same thing as you said, half of the house was in one country and half in another. It looks like one or the other of the countries would agree to a quit claim deed and get a new survey. Talk about international deals! Wow!I wonder whaat year the borders were charted? I'll look that up.

billiveshere - From what I can find quickly it looks like the border was roughly gauged anywhere from 1808 to 1818. From my quick search I didn't see anything about the border actually being surveyed but just roughly the along the 49th parallel but my globe shows it 49th-50th and then much lower than that farther east. I wonder if countries in other parts of the world actually surveyed their borders?

Amazing what I discovered. Borders are generally determined by landscape features and political/economic environments - not surveys! Everything is pretty loose. One country puts up a fence and the other side says okay or they have to negotiate. It's not written in stone. Wow! Thinking how the earth changes by erosion and earthquake, flood etc. it looks like the border areas can become pretty fluid over time. Apparently nobody is concerned about it. Unless it's the people at Standing Rock.

We had eight inches of snow yesterday, wind and temperatures from 23 - 35. Glad I had my yard/garage sale Saturday! But I know that the melting snow will moved some of my landscape (pecan shells) down the berm onto the sidewalk, temporarily at least changing the "border" of my yard. Is that called soil creep? And trying to stay on course with the intent of this chat line - the cold weather really affects my bladder!

Hi Rita, the cold weather also affects my bladder but today it's going to be near 90 here in Florida! So no cold weather bladder here yet!
That stuff about borders is pretty interesting. Things were so much more casual back in those days and it's true borders have been determined by landscape features, political agreements, etc., especially in the colonial days of the U.S. and Canada. Just a couple of hundred miles to the east of Derby Line and Rock Island are the twin towns of Calais (pron. Callus) Maine and St. Stephen, New Brunswick. There is no need to paint a line through the middle of the library there as the St. Croix River separates the two. Not only that, but once you cross the bridge from Calais to St. Stephen you will find that you're already an hour closer to lunch, since New Brunswick is on Atlantic Time. :)