Friends

I'm always up for a chat. can never have too many friends, right?

and: I am often complaining I don't have many people to talk to

I think deep down I probably do, but most are too busy with life to respond

Been to Kentucky a few times... Lots of fun things to do there - Ziplining, whitewater rafting, cave exploring, river boat cruises, horse racing, etc.

Hi @Dalexwitte, I've been around Lexington on the Interstate. Seems like a nice area and looks prosperous. I was impressed by all the white fences that are such a big part of the horse culture there, so it seems like a pleasant setting. I have a cousin who used to live in Lexington for awhile but I never saw him there. I think he and his wife moved somewhere farther south, the last I heard.

dalexwitte --- In the early 1980's I ate at a great restaurant named Midnight something or other in Owensboro while attending an Amway weekend rally. Also ate at a restaurant hanging out over the Ohio River there. A fantastic weekend experience.

@ritanofsinger, A restaurant hanging out over the Ohio River? Now that sounds like it would be worth a trip in itself! :D I guess if you wanted fish, they would just cast a line into the river and haul out your dinner! Was this also in Owensboro?

billiveshere -- yes it was. And when my late husband and I drove from Kansas to Kingston, NY in 1959 we ate at another restaurant hanging over a river in Vermillion, Ohio. That was a gourmet experience where I had my first scallops. And in Corpus Christi, TX on one of the trips with my sisters and mother we ate at (perhaps the original, uh-oh, now I can't recall the name of the [later franchised] seafood restaurant) but it was built on pillars over a bay area on the Gulf. We went over a wooden walkway to the restaurant. I think it was on Oceanside Drive.

Isn't bizarre that most of my greatest memories are connected with food!? In the early 1980's Bill and I drove from Summit County, Colorado to near Muskogee, Oklahoma where we picked up my parents and then drove to Memphis, Tennessee for an Amway rally. We ate a magnificent, never to be forgotten, dinner at the restaurant near the top of the original Holiday Inn called Windows on the River. We had a Colorado group of 12. The centerpiece of our table had huge grapes with maybe dry ice? that streamed cloudy mist from the dish. What a great time we had. The host gave us five waiters who never let our water glasses get empty. My husband left a $100 tip.

Maybe I'll write a book! LOL

Hi Rita, a few minutes ago I responded to one of you posts in which I said maybe you should write a book. And here you are, saying here in this very post made a day ago that "maybe I'll write a book! LOL" :O
I think the handwriting is on the wall now!
But that rooftop restaurant in Memphis with the steaming clouds coming from the grapes sounds like an experience to be cherished and never forgotten!
And that restaurant in Corpus Christi? It'll come to you in the middle of the night and we can read about it the next day!! :D

Hi, Rita, I've heard of Landry's and I think it was a chain down in Texas. I wonder if that Landry family is related to Tom Landry who was the coach of the Dallas Cowboys many years ago?

In 1983 (I was 9yrs old) while staying in Cincinnati by the "WKRP Fountain", I went to 5 Reds games at Riverfront Stadium in 4 days. It was the first time I felt 106 degree temperatures and I walked with my sister and my mother over the bridge to Kentucky. That was my Kentucky experience lol.

We got back to the hotel and met Andre Dawson in the elevator, cool guy. Then next day we met Mike Vaile in the lobby, also a cool guy.

billiveshere -- I have no idea if they were related. But there was a Landry's here in Albuquerque where I had lunch a couple times. The one I was at in Corpus Christi was the original. The food was great and the atmosphere very coastal!

Landry's Seafood House in Corpus Christi, TX is apparently unrelated to the Landry's hospitality chain. the Landry's in Alb. was in the chain. The LSH in CC, TX is still operating. I couldn't find any information linking Tom Landry to either business. It appears that he Landry's chain was begun in 1980 and now has 450 restaurants, gaming salons and other entertainment facilities. And the restaurant in Corpus Christi is on Shoreline not Oceanside! Getting the facts right - hopefully. Anyway, my traveling days are behind me, I'm perfectly content to stay at home.