For Admin

Pam53

Dear nafc admin - First of all, I have to tell you that I mostly agree with your policies. Being in admin is probably alot like the person in charge of payroll and always gets yelled at because somebody didn't get their paycheck or they got it wrong. Technology is a wonderful thing until it doesn't work, or unpopular. YES! I got the email about the change on September 12th. Didn't work the 12th,13th or 14th. Tried sending something to someone to clarify. Almost completely chucked it. - Yes we got alot of guy stuff which I read just for the information. I liked the ongoing random flow of things. Read it, don't read it. Pass on by. Keep going. - Is everything in a sub category now that we don't see our nafc buddys unless we go looking under a particular subject matter? Thanks. Pam53

I am normally navigating easily on the net and on forums. But I struggled with this change - and I was unable to log in the first days. So, I fully agree with Pam.

I think the change was undercommunicated on the old forum before the change - and when there were connection issues after the change, it felt even worse.

I hope the activity are growing back to normal - and I think the new forum can be ok 👍

I agree - I think many people from the old forum need an updated message stating that the new forum is available.

I was wondering why I was to receiving emails.

I looked at the help and have a few suggestions
1) An easier way to see a list of the subforums with the options in the popup box
2) A way to review my options for the subforums

What I discovered - correct me if I am wrong.
To see a list of subforums (or what every they are called).

Foreach subforum
Click on the forum title to go to the form
On the right side look for the grey watch button and press it
On the pop-up, select your desired options then press the orange Watch button (this is where we sign up for emails on subtopics)

The grey Watch button on the right side at top of forum
NAFC_2_watch1.jpg

The Watch Forum Pop-Up box to select to receive emails
NAFC_2_watch2.jpg

I am normally navigating easily on the net and on forums. But I struggled with this change - and I was unable to log in the first days. So, I fully agree with Pam.

I think the change was undercommunicated on the old forum before the change - and when there were connection issues after the change, it felt even worse.

I hope the activity are growing back to normal - and I think the new forum can be ok 👍
Allen_59 - You know I truly understand why the nafc wants to have the sub categories. Anyone searching for specific information is not going to want to wade through a million messages that have nothing to do with what they are looking for until they find it. - I liked looking at what everyone wrote. Generally you could tell just by the title what it was. But,I have learned alot from the guys posting guy stuff - Thinking about my husbands benefit if/when needed. I am not going to go looking for it most likely until then. - I pretty much plan to stick to the general bladder health board. - What I will miss the most from the old forum is seeing the familiar names and the people they are attached to. Everyone's certain way of "talking" and personality. The connection which is so important for coping. I fear we will lose the "friendship" being separated into various categories.

Allen_59 - You know I truly understand why the nafc wants to have the sub categories. Anyone searching for specific information is not going to want to wade through a million messages that have nothing to do with what they are looking for until they find it. - I liked looking at what everyone wrote. Generally you could tell just by the title what it was. But,I have learned alot from the guys posting guy stuff - Thinking about my husbands benefit if/when needed. I am not going to go looking for it most likely until then. - I pretty much plan to stick to the general bladder health board. - What I will miss the most from the old forum is seeing the familiar names and the people they are attached to. Everyone's certain way of "talking" and personality. The connection which is so important for coping. I fear we will lose the "friendship" being separated into various categories.
I fully agree, I think we see it already. And activity have been low so far. Likewise, I have learned a lot from the female discussion, the OAB stuff - and many issues that maybe are mostly female, but maybe it is just that males does not admit the problems in the same degree? And fighting stigma, supporting each other - regardless of type of incontinence - I fear that can disappear. But I will try to make the best out of the new format as well. Glad you are here now :)

This forum is so hard to navigate. I don’t understand why after I’ve read every message on here, certain topics are still showing up in bold text, as if I haven’t yet read them. It’s way too hard to have to hunt around to find new topics posted. I’m definitely not receiving an email about every new topic created like I used to, even though under settings I have elected to receive all notifications. This new forum just doesn’t make much sense. I’d much rather return to the old one and I think most agree. I don’t think it’s a matter of “just needing to get used to the new forum.” I don’t think anyone is going to get used to this new forum nor get very much out of it any more.

This forum is so hard to navigate. I don’t understand why after I’ve read every message on here, certain topics are still showing up in bold text, as if I haven’t yet read them. It’s way too hard to have to hunt around to find new topics posted. I’m definitely not receiving an email about every new topic created like I used to, even though under settings I have elected to receive all notifications. This new forum just doesn’t make much sense. I’d much rather return to the old one and I think most agree. I don’t think it’s a matter of “just needing to get used to the new forum.” I don’t think anyone is going to get used to this new forum nor get very much out of it any more.
That has frustrated me as well. It is difficult to see if you are up to date….

Hello all,
Thank you for your feedback - it is much appreciated as we work out some kinks. We have sent out an email to all members of the old forum, and hope that activity will pick up soon, but it will take time. Likely, it will be a mixture of old members as well as new ones as this forum is a bit easier to find than the previous one.

As for the format, we had hoped the subgroups would make it easier to find things, but perhaps there are too many to start. We will work on cutting the groups down to more general topics instead of being so specific: General Forum Discussion, General Bladder Health, General Bowel Health, Caregivers, Prostate Cancer, Mens Discussions, and Women's Discussions.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Hello all,
Thank you for your feedback - it is much appreciated as we work out some kinks. We have sent out an email to all members of the old forum, and hope that activity will pick up soon, but it will take time. Likely, it will be a mixture of old members as well as new ones as this forum is a bit easier to find than the previous one.

As for the format, we had hoped the subgroups would make it easier to find things, but perhaps there are too many to start. We will work on cutting the groups down to more general topics instead of being so specific: General Forum Discussion, General Bladder Health, General Bowel Health, Caregivers, Prostate Cancer, Mens Discussions, and Women's Discussions.

What are everyone's thoughts?

I agree that there are too many subforums. I also want to point out that the old forum incorporation of Mens and Womens groups was not utilized. Most "new" people will not know where to start. You have seen my post in this thread about having to "WATCH" each desired subforum. As well as my request for information on what each item means on my user profile specifically if "All Visitors" is different from "Members Only" (i.e. can non members see profiles and posts).

The Men's And Women's group in the last forum was a stop gap to try to address the request to have the respective subrooms. The functionality did not allow people to automatically join (we had to have them fill out a form, then manually add them at specific times - very clunky), nor was there a way to easily show people that they had that option. Our hope is that now that they are very easy to hop on, they will be more utilized, but we will see.

We can always adjust as we move forward and consolidate or remove subthreads that are not being used.

You can adjust your privacy settings by clicking on your profile link above. Here is a breakdown:
-"All Visitors" - anyone visiting the forums, even if they have not logged in or are not a member.
-"Members Only" - only those who have registered on the forum with their own account.

We encourage everyone to update their privacy information and preferences to what they prefer. Keep in mind that anyone will be able to see your username and avatar - even non-users.

Please let me know if you still have questions.

Finally, another tip that may help. When you go to the forum, you can click on "What's New" in the menu bar to see either "new posts", which will display all the newest threads, or "Latest activity", which shows the most recent individual posts.

Thank you all for sticking with our small team as we all adjust to these changes.

There is! You can set your preferences to automatically watch any threads you create or interact with (see screenshot below). You can also choose to click the button just above the open thread to click "watch" if it's something that you want to manually set, or if its something you haven't interacted with yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 6.14.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 6.14.25 PM.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 0
The "Help" tab needs information on
1) How to watch forums to below link, select a forum, click the "grey Watch" box, then select options in the pop-up and press the orange Watch button to save. Repeat for each desired subforum

2) How to get to my watched forums - https://forum.nafc.org/watched/forums (found in an email notification of a watch forum)

Basically get a someone outside the forum who is not on the forum to create an account and walk through the steps to see their feedback.

The Help tab has a privacy policy that is a corporate privacy policy. The help is missing Profile Privacy policy with the information you have sent me.

The members want a private forum - We only want members to see our information - This should be the default for all items. I should not have had to change it for "View your details on your profile page". If I am not signed in, make me sign in before allowing me to continue.

The new forum software is exactly the same as is used in many other forums that I'm on, so it's a little unfair to say that it's too confusing for people to learn. I interact with hundreds of people on at least a dozen forums who've figured out this exact software, and I doubt most of them are any smarter than the people we have here.

If you want to see everything that's been posted, similar to the old forums, you can always click the "What's new" link at the top to get a list of recent posts. It helpfully flags what hasn't changed since your last visit, which I find particularly useful - I don't have time to check the forum constantly, and not having to click through a bunch of topics to see which ones have new posts is really pretty nice. Besides that, though, the "What's new" page isn't all that different from the old forum - it gives you a flat list of topics, along with the number of posts in each one and the time of the last message.

Considering that the stats say we've got 51 people on the forums right now (5 registered members and 46 guests), I'd say that NAFC has scored a big win with the new forums. I already find it far more useful than the old forums, and the number of visitors on suggest that many others do as well.

There is! You can set your preferences to automatically watch any threads you create or interact with (see screenshot below). You can also choose to click the button just above the open thread to click "watch" if it's something that you want to manually set, or if it’s something you haven't interacted with yet.
I didn’t used to have to click “watch” on anything to continue to see it. I know I and others are frequently going to forget to do that step

I didn’t used to have to click “watch” on anything to continue to see it. I know I and others are frequently going to forget to do that step
Technically you don't have to "watch" anything. You're able to see all new posts when logging in by clicking "Wha'ts New".