fed up with plastic disposables bedpads

Archives1

Staff member
Hi all y’all!

I’m writing because I recently upgraded from a queen to a king size bed. Most king sheetsets are sized for California kings rather than regular kings. So the fitted sheet is baggy. My tried and true methodology of layering bedpads (described in this old post of mine)

is kind of backfiring on me now because the loose CalKing fitted sheet means my disposable pads are wadding up and leaving unprotected bed space. Also, I’m sick of how they make me have night sweats… though that could also just be my imbalanced hormones.

I do have some green reusable pads from Target (some are 3’x4’ and some are 4’x4’) but I don’t think they capture urine as efficiently and thoroughly as disposable bedpads. The main benefit to reusable bedpads is that they don’t make me sweat quite as much, and they’re certainly better for the environment. Capturing overflow from diapers is the top priority. It only happens 1-2 times/month when I’ve had Botox injected; otherwise it happens 2-4x/month. Another thing I like about disposable bedpads is that I can just rip them off in the middle of the night after a bedwetting.

Does anyone have a way to 1) keep baggy CalKing sheets tight on a king bed - I have corner clips but they’re hard to wrangle by myself with my janky old knees, and 2) recommend a specific reusable bedpad that is truly as absorbent as a plastic disposable bedpad? Sounds like one that covers the entire bed and attaches with elastics might be better?

Thanks friends!

Hey @snow, it will depend on whether the mattress thickness, e.g., a pillow top or foam. Either way, thicker mattresses hold the fitted sheet better-ish.

I've stopped using protective bed pads (reusable) for something that is just under the fitted sheet, 1) it's more comfortable for me, 2) doesn't shift around as much, and 3) when your protection leaks, only the sheet needs to be washed. This may also extend the usability of disposable bed pads?

Here's what I use: https://preventawear.com/product/amazing-oversized-waterproof-incontinence-underpad/. I'm sure there are other providers, as this product is similar-ish to hospital mattress covers.

Lastly, I found there are oversized, washable bed pads that work. However, they are more cumbersome to launder.

@snow, Just had an idea, it should be possible to buy PUL from fabric stores, it may work just as well as the preventawear product.

@theMochi Thank you so much for your reply. Do I understand you correctly that you put your black bedpad under your fitted sheet? That is where I have always put my disposable ones. Is it hot? Does it make noises?

My mattress has a slight pillow top and I’ve added a down mattress bedpad that’s 2” thick. So yes, I suppose my fitted sheet *is* fitting better with those two extra heights added.

With my disposable bedpad arrangement, I’ve never once leaked through to my mattress.

I wet the bed every night. I put a long reusable pad on top of the sheets and a couple of towels on top of that. And I wear my pull-ups with boosters. I rarely go through to the sheets which are hard for me to change on my CalKing waterbed (sorry, Snow. I’m one of those).

@LeeC Good for you for having a CalKing ;) I don’t have room! And I’m soooooooo jealous that you have a waterbed!!!!!!! I have a water pillow, and it’s so wonderful for my neck and shoulders, I can only imagine how epically relaxing an entire waterbed would be for my ratchety skeleton. I know I’d sleep great on a waterbed because my aunt used to have one for when I slept over at her house, and it was great: relaxing, like being on a cruise ship. I’ve hardly ever slept great in my life, but on water, I do, and it’s effortless.

Thank you for sharing your personal solution with me.

@snow - Yes under the sheet, shiny side up. I was skeptical that it would be too hot, and it wasn't to my surprise even on hot summer nights.

Note it will shift around a bit over time, I toss around a lot. YMMV.

@snow Neither are absorbent, they are more of a barrier to the bed in case your protection doesn't catch it all. The idea that it is faster to reset afterwards, e.g., easier to wash sheets than bed pads or a mattress cover.

@LeeC I imagine the flexing of a waterbed can make it challenging though the mattress is safe from absorbing urine; waterproof in and out.

@wetdad Ohhhhh, those do look great, thank you for the tip; I think I’ll try those!!!! The ones in the Amazon link I posted definitely don’t stay in place, but don’t move around as much as a disposable bedpad. I think yours look better :)

I got them recently and I like the rubber backing as it helps with keeping them in place as I toss and turn at night. Best of luck!

Hi Snow, only ones over here that I have heard are good are Brolly sheets. Google Brolly sheets to see if they might help you. Only other ones I know are Kanga pads. Xxx

@wetdad Question on these pads retaining heat. How are they during warm weather?

I have found the thickness (or construction?) of washable absorbent pads to retain a lot of heat, and is feels hmmm, tarpish when laying on top of it. Granted, I have a foam mattress which can feeling hot. Thus, why I went with what I did (recommended). Plus one - it packs easily for travel.

As someone that lives in the desert, I have not found them to retain too much heat. They have been comfortable so far. I had a bad leak out of the top of my diaper the other night and they protected the mattress well. Overall, in the last few weeks of using them, I have been happier than with any disposable pad I have used.