Fecal Incontinence: Rectal, Butt, Anal Plugs

Archives1

Staff member
Unless I’ve overlooked it on the site, I can’t find much information or member response to the Coloplast Peristeen rectal incontinence anal plug. Is anyone familiar with them, had experience using them, or know anything about them? I’m desperate to find out something, have had too many FI accidents lately, so embarrassing, & just trying to go for short walk in my neighborhood. I appreciate any information anyone can provide me. There are also some other plugs: Navina Anal Inserts, PVA-Anal-Tampon, & Renew Anal Inserts. I have FI and have an implanted stim device in my left hip. It does help but doesn’t cure it 100%. As long as I watch my diet, take my fiber, take loperamide twice a day, I will have very hard bowels & it moves slowly once it reaches my rectum, making it give me time to get to a restroom. I know my stim device plays an equal role in this too. It’s just that I want to be able to do more things in life, especially lose some weight & I’d like to enjoy going for short walks, etc…. From what I’ve read about the above products, they would give me the extra time needed to do more things in my life. I don’t think they are approved for use in the US, but if anyone has information on them or how I could go about getting them, I would appreciate your input & help. Willing to do whatever I have to in order to get them!

Lee

Greetings @Lee;

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with FI. I resonate with you in regards to finding a proper management solution.

I don't know much about FI; as I've only experienced it in small instances with an acute fissure that I suffered from which was bad during my college years (now I suffer just from IBS and and sometimes painful bowel movements) - what I would recommend is asking your gastrointerologist to see about other approved options in the United States to handle your FI.

I suffer from sporadic daytime leaking and nocturnal enuresis due to OAB Syndrome (diagnosed) which causes severe pain on some days and urgency. However, for FI I suppose what we share is how we both emotionally cope with having issues with continence in general.

My step father who suffers from Chrones disease recommended that during the bad times I was experiencing acute bowel leakage was using a sanitary napkin as a pad of sorts - I suppose that could be related to the Anal Tampon (again I'm unfamiliar).

In any event; that could help keep things for your body from spasming as it would act more as a protective barrier rather than a brief or disposable underwear which would just act as a catch all.

Again, I'm sorry you are going through this Lee - we have another Lee who floats around here from time to time; and I hope someone who suffers from Bowel Issues can give you there thoughts as well.

Welcome to the NAFC -

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

Thanks Honeeecombs, the plugs I’m referring to are to be inserted into the rectum, about 1”, usually have something slim attached to them that hangs outside the rectum so you can easily pull it out when it comes time to have a BM. I’ll try & attach a photo of one of them, if I can figure it out.

3d283c4acf811710438ee363119855c3.png

Lee said:
Thanks Honeeecombs, the plugs I’m referring to are to be inserted into the rectum, about 1”, usually have something slim attached to them that hangs outside the rectum so you can easily pull it out when it comes time to have a BM. I’ll try & attach a photo of one of them, if I can figure it out.

Okay; so from what I gather it doesn't really work as a Tampon in a way; but more in the sense of how a catheter works where the pad is in lieu of the "balloon" to protect stool and BM from pushing past the sphincter/anus.

That's a nifty device; and never thought they would make a product similar to that. That may help alot of people who are suffering and do not want to deal with needing protective underwear for FI.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

Hi Lee,

During my nursing training, I was told that plugs inside rub when you walk and gets sore. I was told about the renew product and that was more comfortable. I haven't tried either so can't really offer advise but try and find your local colorectal nurse and they may be able to guide you better.

laalaauk, thank you so much for your response. I haven’t seen many reviews for the plugs for a while now, but a few years back I was surfing the internet, can’t remember the name of the site, but I seen several positive reviews on the Coloplast peristeen rectal plug. All of the reviews were posted by non Americans because the plug hadn’t been approved for use in the US. I remember that there were also several Americans posting complaints about not being able to purchase them in the US & stating they had been able to try the plugs when they traveled outside the US & when foreigners had helped them by mailing them the plugs. I was hoping some non Americans would chime in on this site so I could learn more about the use of plugs.

My adult son overheard me talking to my wife about butt plugs the other night, didn’t know he was listening but didn’t really matter to me, but he quickly comes into the room, laughs & ask my wife if dad is wanting a sex toy! Our kids are always listening & hear everything, except when it comes to chores!

Lee