External catheters

Archives1

Staff member
Does anyone know if external catheters are any good? I'm sick of always being wet and thought this might be an option for a little relief.

I've used them. Once after my vasectomy and one in a hospital bed. Very tricky and a real pain. Not for active people. Unless you want to use a commercial grade contact cement or maybe liquid nails to hold it on. Maybe super glue or gorilla glue....

Brendan said:
Does anyone know if external catheters are any good? I'm sick of always being wet and thought this might be an option for a little relief.

Hi Brendan, I am active and use one every day and night. They are the solution for me as like you, I got fed up being wet all the time down there. I can't feel it is on me and I use a Coloplast active day bag for day wear and hook up to a 3 litre night bag at night. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I really like this method of protection.

I've tried them, even when you have the right size and they are applied properly, which is tricky at best, they can still come off. When that happens you will have a huge leak. When that happened I felt I had to wear a diaper with the catheter, but if you're wearing a diaper why have the catheter? The leg bag can be a pain too as it tends to want to slip down your leg and then there is some sloshing. I know some people can make them work but for me a diaper is so much easier.

laalaauk said:
Brendan said:

Hi Brendan, I am active and use one every day and night. They are the solution for me as like you, I got fed up being wet all the time down there. I can't feel it is on me and I use a Coloplast active day bag for day wear and hook up to a 3 litre night bag at night. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I really like this method of protection.

I tried a condom catheter for about 2 weeks and it was awful. Mine was at night only but as an active sleeper it was a disaster. I'm sure results vary with the individual but I can't recommend.

Hi Brendan,
Yes, I’ve used them. Was even a rep for one of the companies for a short while.
If the right size is selected and you use a skin prep wipe on your skin and let that dry first it should work okay. If you are retracted or have what some people call buried penis, give Bioderm Liberty pouch a try. It works great. (You don’t need to use a skin prep wipe with those). Conveen makes great bags that don’t slosh around and have good straps.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Every urologist that I’ve ever consulted has recommended that I use an external diaper instead of wearing a diaper. However, as others have pointed out, they are tricky to apply; and if a leak occurs, it is likely to involve a high volume of urine. In fact, the worst experience I’ve ever had with my incontinence occurred at a Christmas party at my boss’s house. I bumped into the corner of a table, and the collection bag connected to the external catheter that I was wearing burst, creating a puddle on an antique Persian rug. I think diapers are a much better alternative than an external catheter. But that’s just my opinion. Supposedly, many men prefer external catheters.

Yeah, that’s never a good scene for sure. Sorry that happened. You are right about absorbents, they do have an up side to them.

Myself, I prefer wearing something absorbent, but that's just personal choice. With wearing a bag and external catheter there is always that risk of a major accident. Inconinmiss sorry to read about your accident and hope everything worked out. That wouldn't be easy to deal with by any means. But I do know a lot of men like external catheters. Like that old saying, to each his own!