Drips when trying to hold pee

Archives1

Staff member
Hi,

I experience urge incontinence and trying to do bladder training to increase the duration between voiding. However, I often fail to completely to hold an urge without a small leak/drip.

I am wanting to find out if you have any tips or techniques to successfully prevent it from leaking drips.

Thank you

Hi,

Try searching male or female pelvic floor exercises and do them several times a day, see if they help?

I am experiencing the same but with stress incontinence (especially when on a long walk) rather than urge. I do kegels every day and am still having those drips. Cautionary note - a friend who had a prostatectomy years ago, still uses a light pad because of this issue never going away. I hear people say on this forum that they've become completely continent. I wonder if they would chime in on this and say if that means they never have drippage.

I have a different problem. I leak small to medium amounts all the time. The nerves between my spine and bladder are damaged. My urologist asks me to do pelvic exercises, timed voiding, and catheters but I still leak. I can’t feel my bladder so I have no idea if my bladder has anything in it. I just go all the time. Everything I have tried hasn’t worked. The bladder and nerves in our bodies is amazing to me. What happens to one person is different for someone else. Conversely, what works for me may not work for you. Trial and error works best to find what works for you. Be patient and keep trying, you’ll find what helps you. Good luck on your journey. Keep your head up and keep trying.

@donegatf One light pad per day would be considered continent by most urologists, as I understand it. I use one or two regular pads per day, so one light pad would be a big improvement for me. I had prostatectomy almost one year ago.

@Positive I have stress leaking. I have leaks if I run water or if I walk sometimes or just because. My doctor has me on 2 medications. Myrbetriq helps me with control. It tightens things up and will give me a little retention. Most of the time when I go to void I end up going back a second time to finish. But it helps a lot with being able to hold or reduce the leeks. The other is Alfuzosin that I take at night to reduce the number of times I wake up at night to void. I still have some little leaks. I wear separate pouch underwear that has a pouch for my penis and another for my testicles. I use toilet paper to wrap the end of my penis in that penis pouch and that soaks up any small little leaks I have and keeps it away from anything else to prevent any rash. This way I have no need for special pads when I am out as TP is available if I need to change it. Many times I do not need to change it though. I have done this for years and I have increased the amount of TP at times.

My doctors last treatment he had me do was a Stim test. This is where electrodes were placed low in my spine and electronic stimulation was used to try to improve this. There seems to be some money behind this this pushing this treatment. The device is called Interstim X by Medtronic. There are a number of threads on this and other like devices. The test had the unit taped to me and the electrodes in my spine. The permanent unit would have surgically placed under my skin. Surgery is a big dela for me and I felt like I was being pushed into this. I decided to wait after having the test done. In the past there were a few times I would void and only know it when I felt the urine on my legs. If that does happen again or things get worse I will most likely have the surgery and see if I can get some improvement again. What I have read is that this treatment has good results for improving this but not so much for elimination of all symptoms. And as I said there seems to be money behind this trying to get people to have this. I am to a point now that I could have the surgery but I am getting by so I most likely won't. Cost is not a problem this late in the year with insurance.

@Positive I had a RP one year ago, and was continent a few months later (if you define "continent" as one light pad per day) but still struggle with OAB (urgency and frequency).

I was leaking/dripping when I had really strong urges (especially the closer I got to a toilet, my bladder started pushing extra hard with leakage). The past month I noticed that the frequency of this has reduced although at this point it's a pretty subjective assessment. Time will tell. It could be the PT and bladder training has helped - my guess is this my bladder is now not as forceful as it once was.

At the same time I'm still not confident that I can go without a light pad for the day.

I have overactive bladder and leek all the time. Getting up from a chair at times and just walking it spasams on me and i leek . I have tried al the methods that''s out there and none and none work . My Doctor has said i probably need this new device called Axonics similar to and interstem but a lot better than the interstem because it doesn't need to be removed if you would ever need a MRA. I am set to get it the end of september and beginning of October. One week is trial then the next week it is put in permnatly. I had to have special tests done on bladder to see if i was a Candidate for the device. I am and I am on my last wits and need to do something. I have talked to someone that had it done and said she fell like a new person.She doesn't worry about having an accident. I am a female 73 yrs.old and have been fighting this problem for 35 snd
some years. I am sick of pullups and pads in and rubber pants over it for protection. If i just have to wear a pad after this in my underwear,I would be thrilled. I always wear long tops ever where I go to hide the back of me so you can't see the puffy and fuller buttocks. I hope theres relief and I will let you all know if this works. Thanks

Thank you all who responded.

What is it about getting up standing that seems to activate the bladder to signal? Is it the gravity? The urge seems more urgent when changing from sitting down to standing up position.

I do seem to think that if we could strengthen the pelvic muscle or sphincter muscle then we would be able to hold tighter. The issue for me so far when trying to hold is that I momentarily relax (could be split second) and it allows the urine to come out and drip.