Dreaming im on the toilet and bed wetting

Archives1

Staff member
Hi all,
Firsly i just wanted to say what a welcoming forum. Ive been reading some of the posts and its really lovely the responses. So credit to you all.
I feel embarrassed to write this as its such a small issue up to some i have read.
Over the last few years ive dreamt i have been on the toilet and then i wake up wet. Im now 43 and its happened twice in one month. I dream im on the toilet. It just happens. Could it be perimenopause? Thanks in advance

@JKD Good morning,
JKD I know what you mean, for years I have had what I call "pee dreams". Don't have very often but when I do the situation is usually during a dream I have an urge to urinate and I go looking for a restroom sometimes I find a group of toilets as in a school dorm, outside as in a park no matter where the toilet is located there is always something wrong with the toilet-- stuffed with tissue that wouldn't flush or other people in my presence so I am too embarrassed to use the toilet. Each time since toilet cannot be used I wake up with a full bladder and need to rush to the bathroom to avoid my bladder emptying. I figure if there is ever a situation where I can use the toilet and start to urinate in my dream it's over and bladder will empty. I think the brain is somehow giving me a signal that the bladder is ready to empty so- tells me Wake Up! I don't always fully wake up in time to rush to the toilet-- reason have to wear pads while wake and sleep. So I can truly relate. We are made so wonderful by our creator, that our brain/organs when functioning correctly work together, signaling each other regarding certain actions. Just mentioning under "Normal" circumstances: pancreas is where insulin is made and held, and when blood sugars levels drop, pancreas releases a hormone(signaling) the liver to release stored sugar. Also true with the bladder which again under "normal" circumstances holds urine and will get a signal from the brain during sleep to hold the urine until you are awake. Now if all systems are working as intended that is. I would recommend wearing some protection at night since this is occurring. I am diabetic and have urinary and (slight)fecal incontinence. I understand about being embarrassed, but this forum is so helpful offering advice and support. Keep reading and reaching out.

Newdaynow, thank you for your kind reply. It sounds very much like the body is warning us. I actually can't remember clearly where I am in my dream just that I'm on the toilet, usually I wake up and I'm already wet but this time my bottoms were wet but not soaked and it hadn't reached the bed so I must have woke in time. The time before not so lucky as I was in my sons bed and on his electric blanket. Not ideal. It just scares me why it's happening, is something pushing on my bladder. They say night time wetting isn't good and abnormal so it's making me feel rather uneasy. Thanks again for your kind and informative reply. Hugs x

JKD,
I never had a term for them, “Pee Dreams” works. Good one Newday.
I think everybody experiences dreaming about peeing when they actually have to go while sleeping.
Sometimes it doesn’t wake me up and I wet. Other times I’ve actually awakened while starting to pee while other times, just having the strong urge to go.
The fact that I have been wearing a diaper to bed for nearly 25 years just makes it easier to let it go and get some sleep.
At that point I’m already strapped in as I say.

Be safe JKD. I would suggest a visit to the doc and let the clinical professionals help determine if it’s anything to be concerned about and treat. In the meanwhile wear something to protect you and the bedding.
There’s plenty of product options for different levels of incontinence.
Best,
J

Thanks JoeAK also for a lovely reply. I think its a fab name for it..."pee dreams". Its got to stick now.
I also love the terminology "strapped in". Great idea, at least there is a weight off your mind.
The really weird thing is that sometimes I can drink so, so much, and really late into the evening and I don't have an accident. Then other times I barely drink (I am a little monkey for not drinking much at all) and I wet the bed. No pattern at all.
I saw the doctor and they suggested a bladder scan so I will follow that up. It's just strange as if it's a weak bladder wouldn't it happen when I drink a lot 🤔.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer me x

It’s well-established scientifically that the dream is a reflection of what you’re doing in real life, meaning, the pee comes first, then the dream comes later. It’s like if you hear somebody rings your doorbell in real life and then you hear it in your dream. The dream doesn’t cause you to pee yourself.

If you are suddenly experiencing leaking, I highly recommend seeing a urologist ASAP because it can be a sign of cancer or many less serious things but it should still be checked out. It is not normal nor is it a common symptom of perimenopause.

Hi Snow, Thank you for your reply. Yes that makes sense re the dream being a after effect of the peeing.
I am waiting on a bladder scan. I didnt realise it can be a sign of cancer, bladder cancer??
Thanks again x