Dreaming I’m urinating and waking to find I am

Hi Snow, have you tried melatonin? It's over-the-counter and I don't think it's all that expensive. "They" say it's not habit-forming. Sometimes the gentler medications actually work the best. After all, sometimes less is more! And if your doctor won't prescribe something stronger, then try the melatonin. And I think Vicks makes something (called Z-Quil or something like that?) Also non-prescription. Hope you find something that helps!

I second you on the melatonin it really does help. It is the natural hormone your body realeased when you are tired so it just tells your body you need to sleep

Another natural sleep inducer is tryptophan and the best source for that is a turkey dinner!:D But a Thanksgiving dinner each night before bed is highly impractical for sure! I was surprised when I found out about tryptophan which answers the question of why a lot of people tend to doze off after enjoying a good helping of turkey.

I’ve tried every medication for sleep. I’ve had multiple sleep studies. I spent (wasted) six months working with a sleep center psychologist to try to fix thought patterns with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Barely helped. I’ve had insomnia since I was four years old. I took Melatonin 0.5mg up to 20mg for two years, experimented with taking it at different times of the night, and felt zero effect. The “sleep“ ingredient in all the OTC medications that say “PM” is dyphenhydramine (a.k.a. Benadryl), an antihistamine. It makes me hyper. I have ADHD and severe anxiety so mood medications have the opposite effect on me. I take a stimulant and I calm down. The only sleep medication that works for me is Ambien. I was soooooo relieved when it was invented. I’ve taken it for 18 years. I’ve tried antidepressants, sleepy time tea, magnesium, et al. A big dose of an anti-anxiety medication will do the trick, but Ambien is golden. My sleep studies show I don’t get into deep wave sleep. I stay in stage one. So I’m constantly lucid dreaming. I remember multiple dreams (usually nightmares) when I awake, and sometimes I can’t move but I’m awake. Sometimes they’re fun and I’m grateful for their adventures, but I wake up feeling like I didn’t sleep. I’d rather just sleep and remember nothing and have a couple of dreams I remember per month. My brain neurologist thinks I have narcolepsy. There is a medication for that called Xyrem, a.k.a. GHB “the date rape drug.” Only one company in the U.S. is allowed to manufacture and distribute it. Super strict dispensing. My next sleep study is going to test for it. I have most of the symptoms, but not all. I’d like to add that I follow all the protocols for good sleep (i.e. dark room, heavy comforters, no screens for an hour before bedtime, no clock in bedroom, thick rubber earplugs, cold bedroom, strict bedtime routine, no food or drink for three hours before bedtime, no caffeine after noon). Insomnia has been a lifetime battle for me. Then I snowboarded off a cliff and severed the nerves that tell my brain to decrease renal function when I’m horizontal. Neurogenic Bladder is 24/7. So now my sleep sucks even worse with all the OAB when I’m horizontal. I know my life expectancy sucks because I’ve had so little sleep throughout life. I feel frustrated but I accept that’s just how life is for me.

Hi Snow, I'm sorry to hear about your insomnia. I do get it occasionally so I can only imagine how it would be to have it so often. I hope your next sleep study is helpful and that the Xyrem will be a good solution as you really do deserve a good night's sleep (or actually many good night's sleep) for a change. One thing that I won't do is to see the news before bedtime, and that applies to TV, newspapers or Internet, especially with all of this horrendous pandemic news. That in itself to me is a sleep-wrecker! Instead, some light reading about cheerful, restful subjects or putting your mind in a place that you find most relaxing. And of course there is always the boring book method. That gets me to nod off but I do have to get to bed quickly before something stimulates me again. When you have your next sleep study please speak up about anything on your mind and insist on an answer or even a referral to a place that is doing research on your particular sleep issues. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Hi Snow, maybe a nice scintillating book on quantum physics or an analysis of middle German literature from the post Reformation period! I know they would put me under just like that! They are probably just waiting for you at your favorite used book store or thrift shop! Good luck and happy (yawn!) reading!

I've had this a few minutes ago and I'm feeling really low...I share a bed with my cousin who's a bit younger than me and I can't imagine how she's gonna react when she finds out her cousin who's seven years senior to her has wet the bed...😖bold text

@Achimer Yikes! I’m sorry you experienced that; how did it go in the morning? You’re braver than me to share a bed with someone else; I would have just insisted on sleeping on the floor - it’s better for the back, anyway.

For your future - remember, this is what diapers and bedpads are for.

The mind usually interprets urinating in one's dreams, have had it happen many times, woke up relaxed but with a soaked diaper.