Doctors Prescribing Diapers

I was diagnosed ten years ago but didn't switch to briefs until catheter reality struck one too many times a year later.
9c59ad75812bc5b90aa751f88fd44a5c.png

My mom is a senior citizen and Medicare does pay for them. She is thru a program called Passports. Each month I call and order her supplies for the month. They deliver them the next day thru UPS. They are not the best quality, but neither are the diapers at the stores.

Not necessarily rather public health nurse had to get my local gp(general practitioner) to write a letter to say I'm being treated by him for incontinence issues and that I need incontinence wear to function and to maintain my dignity.

So now I get a delivery every 2 month's of large shaped pads which are like diapers without the tapes and net pants to hold them in place and tape on diapers for night.
It works out as 3 pads and 1 diaper and net pants a day.

@AlasSouth I've done an exhaustive search and come up with the same answer: Medicare does NOT pay for diapers, pads, incontinence supplies period. That is pathetic, but that is our messed-up health system.

Try to get Medicare or your insurance to pay to fix a bad rhinoplasty that has put me on the brink of ossifying, ready to penetrate through the skin, which puts me at risk of losing my nose. After fighting for 2 years, I get ONE referral to a big university Chief of Plastic Surgery I suggested might be one of the only ones who would accept Medicare Advantage assignment for surgery. My Medicare Advantage insurance company was so incompetent, they did not even check with the doctor to verify that he would accept assignment. When my primary's office tried to set up the ONE appointment (that is all that was approved at that point; not the surgery), his staff was nasty to my doctor's office, and said they would not accept assignment for the visit. And barked back that unless I came in with prepaid $300 for a consultation, he wouldn't even see me.

Staciej said:
My mom is a senior citizen and Medicare does pay for them. She is thru a program called Passports. Each month I call and order her supplies for the month. They deliver them the next day thru UPS. They are not the best quality, but neither are the diapers at the stores.

Stacie, sorry, but Passport is either a TRAVEL benefit (as per United Healthcare), or, as per the Ohio Medicaid site, it is a waiver program allowing seniors that require a nursing facility level of care to remain living at home, and receive care in those location. You MUST be eligible for Medicaid, not just Medicare:

"The Ohio Medicaid PASSPORT waiver program allows seniors that require a nursing facility level of care to remain living at home, or the home of a family member, and receive care in those locations. Seniors are able to live a higher quality of life, as this program provides them with care services and other benefits to promote independence. In addition, the state of Ohio saves money by leveraging the caregiving provided by friends, spouses, and family members. Unfortunately, the state caps the amount of money spent on a senior in the program each month. The cost of care provided at home cannot exceed 60% of the cost for that same care, if it were provided in a nursing home.

The types of care paid for under PASSPORT includes personal care, both at home and in adult day care settings, and independent living support, such as home delivered meals, laundry, housekeeping, etc. Also covered is medical equipment, disposable supplies, and transportation assistance for doctors’ visits and medical appointments.

Under PASSPORT, family members can be hired to provide personal care.
The PASSPORT Program now permits consumer direction of services. This allows the beneficiary to have a degree of control over who provides him or her with care services. Friends and certain family members, excluding one’s spouse or legal guardian, can provide non-skilled care services, such as personal care. Most relevant, the adult children of elders are able to provide care. However, Medicaid only pays a standard rate between $10 and $14 per hour for their caregiving.

PASSPORT is an acronym for Pre-Admission Screening System Providing Options & Resources Today. This program is under the administration of the Ohio Department of Aging and is managed locally by the Area Agencies on Aging.

***Persons who are dually eligible for Medicaid and Medicare, and live in a county where the Integrated Care Delivery System (ICDS), also referred to as MyCare Ohio, is available, are not eligible for the PASSPORT waiver. Rather, one can receive all of the same services via MyCare Ohio, a mandatory managed care program.

I have a prescription for mine but Medicaid only pays .88 cents per diaper so I pay the rest. They only cover trash so I bite the bullet and pay out of pocket for the majority. This month I can’t afford it so I’m relying on my backup stock to get me through. Fingers crossed I have enough

I have gotten a couple of my different doctors to write me a prescription for my adult diapers in order to try to get insurance to help pay for them. Has not worked yet.

The uk is a nightmare as already been said if you are lucky the continence service at the hospital nhs will maybe give you 4a day and they are so poor and very cheap I use to get them but now days buy my own like now I've been placed in hospital and now iam back to useing there nasty cheap ones

@joanne777 I agree that hospitals - here in the U.S., also - provide horribly inadequate diapers. When I’m hospitalized my mom brings me my own kind from home.

20 years ago I got a presciption for them because I had good insurance at the time (best I have ever had). Like others have mentioned the brands was not the best but this was the first time I was able to get them delivered which was really great. I havent had any insurance that pays or helps pay for them since then.

mhart82: bummer. I didn't really expect Insurance to come around, although that might vary with the policy. I wasn't sure about Medicare/Medicaid, but am hoping that with that Rx, and receipts, it could be deductible for those of us in position to itemize medical in our Income Tax. I repeat: get advice from a tax attorney and/or the IRS. I'll bet that many of us aren't in position to use the Medical Deduction, but some should be, judging by the posts.
This year may be an exception for me and I'm throwing the receipts in the IRS Income Tax file, just in case. Circle the item on the grocery store receipt, but remember marks can destroy the printing on those, so avoid getting it on the item in question.
If a medical deduction eligible bill or receipt comes over the transom, I scan it into the computer to be printed, later, if I need it on better paper.
If you are over 65 and belong to AARP, maybe they have advice.
There's some volunteers that do taxes for Seniors, here, but this is pretty much beyond their knowledge-base.

My Doctor did write me a prescription for diapers and the supplier gave me a choice of Attens Poly diapers or the Wings brand all of these other diapers that they offer proved highly inadequate for my needs and my Doctor had to write a letter of Medical necessity and now I receive Abena Abriform L4 under Wisconsin Medicaid

0c0def3f487e05ca26f316a65b479a32.jpg
8c1b0a681dc916e06355a54d96f78f05.jpg

Many thanks, DPCARE. I sort of fled the Midwest, but maybe there is a reason to prefer Wisconsin over Michigan!

@DPCARE SO AWESOME!!!!!! The medical supplier for my insurance also only has inadequate diapers. It didn’t occur to me to ask for other kinds, or pads or gloves, for medical necessity. Now I have a new item on my to-do list.

Snow & DPCARE: My biggest problem for "search" on internet and internet sites - and verbally on help lines - is getting the right "term" to get useful results. Then remembering to check alternative wordings and possible extras. It can seem like the Insurance companies are deliberately obtuse - disengenuos, needless nick-picky, and you have to "drill" you way down to get an answer they didn't want to give you. They'll give you an answer, carefully not telling you there is an answer, or another answer, that does work.
Maybe I'm paranoid. That's two "noids", not just one. (You can boo.)
You've given us some very good clues! I'm going to try that "letter of Medicaid Necessity", not forgetting Medicare and the Insurance company and the IRS. Whatever works!
Thanks!