Doctors Prescribing Diapers

Archives1

Staff member
Has anyone had their Dr. prescribe them diapers? I have asked a couple of my Dr.'s before and they were cool with prescribing them for me. Just wondering if anyone else has had Dr.'s prescribe them diapers as well.

I had my Dr. create a prescription for me in the event I received any questions from my HSA. One time the nurse at the clinic called me at home asking me for sizing so they could send the request to the insurance etc. I declined for 2 reasons:
1. My insurance wouldn't cover diapers
2. The diapers I would receive would have sucked

Thus I chose to buy my own and use HSA.

Hope that helps.

This maybe for another topic; But why doesn't insurance cover adult disposable diapers? This could save us patients a ton of money out of pocket.

I have a Medicare Advantage Plan. They told me Medicare does not pay for diapers. The plan offers you a quarterly allowance of $75 worth of mostly cheap junk. I do get good quality pads you press them (they are stick-on) on the inside of your diaper, or on incontinence underwear.

They have diapers, but they are garbage brand, and are the velcro, wrap around 'L' type. To me, they are useless, having gotten some from a Church that gets them donated, at least I didn't pay for them. I'll be putting them in the garbage.

My urologist has never prescribed them but would if I asked. To date, I’ve been too shy to travel the 20 miles to the clinic my insurance requires me to travel to go pick them up. I don’t think they’d deliver. I don’t want to go there once a month. I’d rather just buy my own.

The Insuarnce company - possibly Medicare - must have paid for them because i was in the hospital after a major operation, so it's covered under the "medicare hospital (part A?) and or the other Insurance Hospital provision. That seems to be a standard benefit: hospital-supplied in-patient use vs. outpatient use. I'm medicare age also but have insurance in retirement from one of my former employers.
Not sure this helps, but aybe it will give you an idea to try out.

Thank you, AlasSouth. I’m only 44, so no Medicare. I was granted Medicaid instantly after my accident, but they pay for so little, I choose to go through the healthcare marketplace instead, and buy myself a Gold plan. It’s sort of aces either way. Here in Utah (land of Utards), the primary healthcare system is Intermountain Health Care (IHC), which is one of the biggest hospital chains in the country. They call themselves a “non-profit” and so have to end up donating a lot of services, though not diapers. They’ve been good to me when it comes to surgeries, though.

I edited out personal information but here is my RX

0c0def3f487e05ca26f316a65b479a32.jpg

The initial diapers they were supplying me with were garbage and not working for me my Dr. had to write a letter of medical necessity to get a better diaper for me

spastkchild said:
I had my Dr. create a prescription for me in the event I received any questions from my HSA. One time the nurse at the clinic called me at home asking me for sizing so they could send the request to the insurance etc. I declined for 2 reasons:
1. My insurance wouldn't cover diapers
2. The diapers I would receive would have sucked

Thus I chose to buy my own and use HSA.

Hope that helps.
8c1b0a681dc916e06355a54d96f78f05.jpg

i think that medicare and insurance in general do not pay for incontinence protection because it is money out of their pockets and patients have demonstrated that they’d rather buy what is not offered. that to them shows a willingness for patients (us) to pay rather than what it really is. it is evidence that what is being offered is useless inferior quality products.

to me, it seems like the best thing is to offer a fair allowance for the brand and type a person chooses - that works best for that particular person, maybe with consideration on a case by case basis for need, per month or other reasonable time period and maybe with a prescription or letter from a doctor.

i just feel that when a specific company/brand/type of protection is the only choice it could have something to do with that company being given preferential treatment which seems unhealthy in an other way and doing that should be illegal.

Yes. My VA urologists prescribe diapers for me. They are tranquility brand so they rent great. I buy my own anyway, but I use theirs when I am low on money and supply.

Draconic said:
Yes. My VA urologists prescribe diapers for me. They are tranquility brand so they rent great. I buy my own anyway, but I use theirs when I am low on money and supply.

The VA supplies everything related to my incontinence. If you want better quality products see a "patient advocate" at the VA hospital. It's very easy to get exactly what I wanted due to extensive urology, neurology and pain management records.

@CES97
CES97 said:
Draconic said:

The VA supplies everything related to my incontinence. If you want better quality products see a "patient advocate" at the VA hospital. It's very easy to get exactly what I wanted due to extensive urology, neurology and pain management records.

I have tried many ways and many times, but the VA facilities here in TN all suck. The advocate is basically worthless at least for this instance. I have tried talking to both of the ones that are at the nashville VA facility and have gotten nowhere. The pharmacy wont approve any nonformulary request the urology doctors or my PCP puts in. They claim I havent tried EVERYTHING they offer for this issue, buts I have attempted to explain to them if the tranquility diapers and pull ups I have used from them aren't working, then the pads, belted garments, and lower generic brand ones are definitely not going to work. They just ignore me and act like they know better. Problem is they have over 245 products on their formulary list. I would spend the next 20 years going thru all of them, and I don't have that kind of patience. All three of the VA facilities here in TN are listed in the top 10 worst VA in the country. The one in Nashville and the one in murfreesboro are listed in the top 5 worst. It part of the reason we are trying to move in a couple of months.

President Roosevelt (FDR) said one of his goals while in office was to reform the VA. When he was in his last term, I think it was, he said his biggest regret was that it wasn't possible - it was so entrenched. Some changes seem to have been made, in the last decade, but it is like everything else. Congress, and the people who put them in office, just don't have it as a priority. Not profitable enough for their buddies. I went to Charity Navigator to find the Vet organization with a good rating and have stuck with supporting that. (D.A.V.). Not sure how to pick/find the best "advocacy" (political) one.
The VFW in my longest city of residence was active. Here, not so much. I'm not a vet, "just" American Legion because i didn't serve in the war zone. I feel it is a betrayal of our vets and all they fought for. All we can do is try to convince our congress.
The concept of an allowance, used to spend as we want, just makes so much sense i can see why the VA (and the private Insurance companies) don't so it. Anything would help.

@AlasSouth @Draconic there must be a way to derail the insurance companies. they are the ones who stand in the way the most. and the politicians would be more agreeable once insurance was out of the picture. may take centuries though.

My info/experience with the VA was decades ago - the 1970s - and was for a dependent. The Doctors that accompanied out ships and the single one at the base I was stationed at were USPHS. One of the shipboard Docs was the only one who had to deal with an very serious emergency.
I was in a support group for survivors of Prostate Cancer in the middle 2000s. Essentially, pads and briefs and devices never came up, except one member at a retreat who just didn't care if he had an "accident". We even had 2 Docs at one retreat and the question, if it came up, was private. The discussions around the campfire did not include the topic. Nor did it come up at the monthly meetings. I hope that has changed, but this forum makes me think it hasn't.
Still, it wouldn't hurt to find out. Some hospitals sponser a support group for survivors and those going through chemotherapy. Would that be a source of information? Seattle's Virginia-Mason hospital was good, but I could only attend 1 meeting, as I don't live there, and couldn't while on Chemo.