Do kegel exercises work?

Archives1

Staff member
I seem to be having some strange effects of doing the kegel exercises. My incontinence started 2 years after prostate bed radiation and was advised to do kegel excercises. I have tried to do them religiously for approx. a year and a half. After 6 or 8 months it didn't appear to have any effect. I stopped due to the fact it seemed to create pain, (can't really be more specific other than bladder or urethra), and possibly made the incontinence worse. I have recently started the kegel exercises again and seem to be having the same issues. Has anyone experienced similar problems with the kegel exercises?

Years ago, I did the Kegel exercises. Then I saw a PT for overactive bladder. She examined me, and told me not to do the Kegels due to my anatomy. She told me they were harming me. So I stopped doing them.

My current OAB PT told me for urge suppression so I can hold my urine in a little longer, to do 5 Kegel-type exercises and take 5 breaths, and then go to the bathroom, and that has helped.

Have you seen a physical therapist that specializes in bladder? They have some great tools to actually measure what’s going on when you contract and relax the muscles.i got some tremendous help from the excersises a couple years ago with oab. It still “flairs up” now and then and my bladder is still way less than ideal but it can definitely help.

My incontinence appears to be stress incontinence. I did see a pelvic floor therapist but that didn't seem to help either. In all fairness, I was only able to see her for approx 8 or 10 sessions due to leaving the area.

Maybe the muscles have been over exerted?
Reach out your urologist maybe see if he can recommend a different approach? I’m sure they have some other options that can help with the pain and any leakage from the surgery you can try.

Unfortunately one of the characteristics of radiation treatment is the long-term damage the radiation does to otherwise healthy tissue. In my opinion your incontinence could very well be related to long-term damage that has affected your "INTERNAL" urinary sphincter. This is the sphincter that, along with the bladder neck, work under involuntary control (like your heart muscle) to keep your bladder closed until you can release your urine. Your "EXTERNAL" sphincter is under voluntary control and is the one that stops the flow of urine when it's not appropriate to go (ie. you are stuck in a meeting).

Kegels only affect the external sphincter. If your problem is with the internal sphincter you can do Kegels till the cows come home and you will still likely have incontinence problems. That said, doing Kegels to improve the function of the external sphincter is still a good thing, as I do think you can maximize the capability of the external sphincter, and that will have an overall positive effect.

I too had prostate cancer radiation treatment (in 2011). After several years I developed calcium stones in my prostate & bladder neck that needed to be removed via laser surgery. This procedure left me with a condition called intrinsic sphincter deficiency, which is basically my internal sphincter will not close properly, and I not only have issues with stress incontinence, but also constantly drip urine (like a bad washer on the kitchen faucet). I do Kegels religiously, and they do help overall, but they are not going to help repair my internal sphincter.

Hope this helps!

If done properly, yes. Don't expect immediate results. It may take months to see any noticable results.