Diaper Rash

Archives1

Staff member
I thought I’d start this topic to help those who suffer from this problem. I spent some time in a nursing home due to a medical problem. I wear diapers 24/7 and the nurses and CNA’s were very good about keeping me changed. When they got busy I had to sit in a wet diaper for a long time resulting in diaper rash. It’s very uncomfortable, itchy, and hurts. They were good about treating it but it usually tacks a couple days to clear up. Now, I get diaper rash easily now that I’m home. I never got it before I went to the nursing home. My question to you all, do any of you have this problem? How do you take care of it? Craig88 offered me some great advice, but I’d like to hear from the masses on this topic. I’d like to now and I’m sure there are others out there needing help too. Thank all of you for the help and understanding you provide. Again, much appreciated!

Keep it as dry às possible. Wash with soap and water often, then apply diaper rash cream. I use Target brand. Works better for me than others.

If you are able, I usually jump in the shower when changing my diapers at home. Takes maybe 5 min and really helps get everything clean. Better than wipes or whatnot. My dermatologist told me when I asked about managing rash that soap and water are best for cleaning up and as noted above, not delaying diaper changes are key to preventing and solving that.

The first thing to find out is what is causing the irritation. On the one hand fungi and on the other hand bacteria, but also mechanical irritation come into consideration. Each one needs a different treatment. In most cases it is a yeast infection, which can be treated with an appropriate ointment.

In case of a bacterial infection, a dermatologist should be consulted. In the case of mechanical irritation, it may help to switch to another incontinence aid.

In addition, it helps of course to let the air as often and as long as possible to the skin and to ensure that the incontinence aid to change regularly.

From baby powder I would rather advise against, because this can contribute in the worst case to the mechanical irritation and the thing given case only makes worse.

@MAM But Mam,once the powder gets wet even from a small leak wouldn't that negate any of benefits of the powder? Sounds like you would constantly changing.

@Chris318: I got diaper rash and a (separate) fungal infection almost at once when my catheter was removed post RP surgery. I was prescribed anti-fungal cream, only to have the rash come back repeatedly when I finished each course of cream. For the last 5+ years I've used the anti-fungal cream daily as a preventive, and have had no further trouble.

@MAM: be cautious about using powder. Talc has a strong link with cervical cancer, and a possible link with protate cancer. Use in the perineal area should be avoided.

Like many who are incontinent I suffer from nappy rash from time to time. It is very uncomfortable especially in hot weather. Regular washing with plenty of water but not to much soap and then allow the skin to air when I casn by just sitting on a pad during the evening. My wife has seen it all so it's not a problem. After airing the skin some sudocreme and try and change as often as I can and it clears up.
Actually the rash cause by sweat in hot weather is worse

Calmoseptine Ointment, showering twice a day and cleaning yourself with each change will minimize diaper rash, but don't confuse heat rashes with diaper rashes.

I use AMMENS Body Powder Original when I can find it. I have to order more from Amazon.

It works great.

The other thing I found is the boogie diaper rash spray in the baby, toddler section of stores works well too.