Diabetic and leaking

Archives1

Staff member
I’ve been type 1 for 17 years. I have always kept my blood sugar in a good range.. occasionally high and occasionally low. I’ve noticed the last couple years that I have OAB and will have a urgency to urinate. My underwear is always wet. I wake up at least two times a night to use the bathroom.. at what point do I throw the towel in and start using protection. I’m only 28 🤦🏼‍♀️

There’s really no need to throw in the towel. During the day you can probably get away with a pad in your underwear. That may be enough at night too, if you are still waking up.

There are numerous options that are pretty small that might make you comfortable. I know it might feel like giving up but managing your symptoms and staying comfortable is an important part of self care. Best of luck in finding something that works.

Do you take insulin? Would you consider that "throwing in the towel"? I recommend that you start using the lightest protection that makes you comfortable as a way to manage your OAB symptoms. (That damp underwear is a breeding ground for pathogens.) You may also want to try tracking OAB episodes and comparing them to the "ups" and "downs" of your blood glucose. Do you have a patch that does continuous monitoring, or do you only use the fingerstick? There is one diabetes medication (sorry, I cannot remember the name) that actually stimulates the excretion of excess glucose in the urine. Also, if you haven't been checked for a urinary tract infection lately, have a "clean catch" urine sample analyzed. Frequency and urgency of urination are two classic symptoms of a UTI, even if there is no pain. There are people of all ages in this group: you are not alone just because you are only 28. Good luck and good health.

Hi May,
Diana is right. I’m Diabetic and take insulin also. Definitely get checked for a uti and prostate issues, even if there is no pain. There are several inexpensive and comfortable products to help with the damp underwear. Try some of the guards for men. Depend, store brand, or just get a bag of the adult pull-ups. Basically just underwear you can toss. Blood sugar levels, especially if to low or too high can cause lots of issues in our bodies. Stop by an urgent care place and get a uti test done. Sometimes they come back negative with the in office tester, but the lab can find out what’s really going on. Hope all goes well. Let us know.