Diabetes high sugars

Archives1

Staff member
Pre surgery with the pills to help shrink the prostate and the 30 day shot to hault the growth of the cancer, my sugars became very hard to control. Now coming up to 9 weeks post surgery my sugars are out of control. I'm using twice as much insulin and still hard to keep sugars low. My doctor said its due to stress from surgery, but I have read that sugars will be high just for a few days. Not months. Is any one with diabetes experience this sugar problem?

Gkudish, I have Type 2 diabetes that I manage with Metformin and no insulin. When I was in the hospital for pre-surgery exams and an MRI, my blood sugar spiked over 200. Generally, it stays below 120 with my daily medication. In the hospital, following surgery it was consistently over 200 when they checked and I had insulin injected 2-3 times. After I returned home after discharge it remained high for another 3-4 days but stayed below 200. After getting back into my normal daily routine (except for the catheter and then incontinence issues, of course), it leveled off. Except for the occasional spike when I eat too many carbs or don’t get a good night’s sleep, my blood sugar has gotten back to “my normal” levels, below 120. It seems like my experience was more like your doctor’s explanation and probably the effect of stress. It seems like you’ve got something else going on, possibly an interaction with your new meds. Do you have an endocrinologist? Have you ever tried a continuous glucose monitoring device (CGM) like a Freestyle Libre? It might help identify patterns in high and low blood glucose levels across the course of a day. I hope you can get your issue figured out, because you know how constantly elevated blood sugar can do organ damage over time. Find a endocrinologist or clinic that specializes in diabetes, if you don’t already have one

Thanks for your input. I have a DEXCOM 6 CGM for over a year and it records every 5 min. I do think something else is going on. I will be seeing my endocrinologist this week. First time since surgery.

Dear Gkudisch: My sugars increased about 40 points from the 120-130's to 170-180's for the first 5 months OP. Now they are back to 130's. I am on Metformin. I am trying to really watch my diet but it hard. Best of luck. Keep on Keepin On! Rayl in Arizona...out.

Did the doctors give a reason for your high sugars. I had to double my insulin when sugars go as high as 280+, I just keep pumping insulin.

It sounds like you are on top of things for moving forward. Hope you and your urologist get it figured out and solve the diabetes piece of your recovery. Best of luck.

Just started my 5th month post surgery and sugars are back in control. Going in for my 2nd round of epidural in my neck, so back to battle high sugsrs.