Dermatitis due urinary incontinence.

Inco24seven

Hi i get a urine rash due to me being in a diaper ( Tena slip 24 /7 . I use over the counter creams etc. Drapolene and Bepanthen from the pharmacist. The thing is the rash is cleared up within about four days but only to come back in about three or four moths. The rash is painful really angry bright red and uncomfortable . I shower daily and change my Tena slip and booster pad at least four times daily. Overnight along with my Diaper I wear a pair of plastic pants . These are washed daily and rotated unless I wake up dry , which is about never :) could you please tell me how to keep this rash away for more than a few months . When I have this rash things are very sore in my diaper area. Even walking with this rash is extremely painful. So I am more than keen to get this sorted for good.
I find trips to the doctors concerning my incontinence problems very daunting and a discussion about my diaper rash would be too much to face. If you have any info or tips on this mundane but highly embarrassing subject please please let me know. Thanks to you all.
Ps why can't life be straightforward , just not wetting myself would be a start.

Last edited:
I had the same issue at the beginning of this year. One thing I found that works for me that might sound crazy but it works for me is to use Dawn dish soap in the bath. Just plain old Dawn. I don't really wash with it but rather make a bubble bath. Soak for 20+ minutes and then rince and get out. Dry and put on a pull-up for a hour or so. (I always sit on my office chair that has a washable bed pad on it anyways if and when I do leak I just strip and change so I don't make a mess)

One of the other things that I do when it get bad down their is go get alkaline water. A lot of the buring painfull issue starts with bad urine PH levels. When the PH level is to low it will be like a chemical burn to you skin. Also if you have hard water, get a filter and start using it.

Another thing I found that works is Boogie diaper rash spray from the baby section of stores. (It will break BetterDry leak guards if you us too much). It is a little $$ but it is a tiny spray bottle and you only need a light spray.

The last thing that might sound crazy is to look at your soap, what is in it, wash any rags, sponges, ect you use.

Really though the Dawn dish soap soaking has help me a lot. Don't do it every day or you will dry your skin out though.

Hi thanks for your advice on my dermatitis problem . Living in a hard water area might get a water filter and see if that will help . Also I could change my soap I use in the shower I will go for Tea tree oil soap. My problem is not so much healing the diaper rash But not getting it in the first place. That is my aim with this problem . A final question if I may , I wear plastic pants over my Tena slip at night to cut down on the possibility of any leaks.. Naturally I also have a waterproof bed pad on the bed do think that this could be making my rash worse. For what it's worth I am in a diaper 24/7 maybe I'm expecting too much.. PS a fellow incontinent , one who knows all about my wetting history suggested I have some time away from my Tena Slip just to get some air around my diaper area and dry out. But is this feasible considering I am totally bladder incontinent and could have a wetting accident at anytime. ? Any tips on this procedure would be gratefully received . Ps don't say " just hang on " if only I could. :confused:

Last edited:
Throughout my time being incontinent during the day, I have had my bouts with rashes. It is hard being 24/7 and having to figure out what to do.

The plastic pants and stuff will not be a big factor. If you diaper is no absorbing enough, you not getting enough water or your sick then your pee can cause a lot of issues.

Change more often. Use a wash rag or wipes between changes and see it that helps.

A couple things to consider:

1. change more often to reduce contact time with wet diapers
  2. pH balanced, mild, cleanser when cleaning and use a barrier cream
  3. drink more water to reduce concentration of urine
  4. let your skin air out once or twice a day - in other words don't wear a diaper/pad for 30-60 mins to let your skin breath.
Not sure what the plastic pants is providing, are you wearing cloth diapers/pads? If not, seems that it would trap heat and moisture.

A couple things to consider:

1. change more often to reduce contact time with wet diapers
  2. pH balanced, mild, cleanser when cleaning and use a barrier cream
  3. drink more water to reduce concentration of urine
  4. let your skin air out once or twice a day - in other words don't wear a diaper/pad for 30-60 mins to let your skin breath.
Not sure what the plastic pants is providing, are you wearing cloth diapers/pads? If not, seems that it would trap heat and moisture.
Thanks for reply very kind of you. I wear a disposable diaper ( Tena Maxi slip ) with a booster pad 24/7 I use plastic pants overnight when my incontinence is at it's heaviest, just to keep any leaks to a minimum .

Throughout my time being incontinent during the day, I have had my bouts with rashes. It is hard being 24/7 and having to figure out what to do.

The plastic pants and stuff will not be a big factor. If you diaper is no absorbing enough, you not getting enough water or your sick then your pee can cause a lot of issues.

Change more often. Use a wash rag or wipes between changes and see it that helps.
Good evening thanks for the reply. I always try to change a wet diaper before it gets too full. I will start to change my booster even more . Obviously I'm in a wet slip longer at night so the potential for urine to be incontact with my skin is always there. I always wake up soaked in the morning 😬 and shower before putting on a clean diaper. All the best from me in the Uk

Last edited:
I recommend the following, which has also been recommended by my two dermatologists and my urologists:

-Change your diaper every time it’s wet; do not sit around in wet diapers or pads. Wash with water ONLY. My doctor is very strict about avoiding all soap products. It sounds gross but it keeps your skin from becoming irritated. Pat as you clean; do not scrub. Be very gentle. Use only very soft cloths; no sponges or scrub brushes.

-Shave everything bald, including your thighs and all of your bits. This will dramatically decrease the quantity of bacteria and sweat in the region.

-Bathe at least once daily. Showers are more clean than baths. Do not use soap on your genitalia in the shower or bath, either. No sponges, only very gentle and soft washcloths.

-Wear Calmoseptine barrier cream daily. It’s expensive but you hardly need any. A pea-sized amount will last for days and will cover your entire leg creases. You can’t even get that stuff off your skin if you want to! It is very thick and very soothing. Beware, however, that it can leave a grease stain on light-colored clothing because it contains oil. Sometimes it will wash out in the laundry but not always. You will find that Calmoseptine is very soothing for rashes both immediately and for a long time thereafter. Sometimes it is often stolen from stores by young parents for their babies, so if you don’t see it available on the shelf at the pharmacy, ask the pharmacist if they know where it is because they might keep it behind the counter to avoid it being stolen. Or, you can buy it on Amazon.

-As soon as you get a rash, go to Urgent Care or your urologist and tell them you need a yeast infection prescription cream like Ketacanazole. Keep some around the house for when you get an outbreak. When you apply it, it always goes on your skin first, followed by the barrier cream. You will likely also need a high dose of 7 days’ worth of a yeast infection oral medication called Diflucan/Flucanazole 150-200mg to get rid of the rash. Some doctors will try to just give you one day’s worth of the oral pill, but that doesn’t work with diaper rashes. Ideally, you can just build up a good rapport with your urologist or PCP/GP because they are used to diaper rashes and ideally, you should just be able to give them a phone call to get them to call in these prescriptions for you without even seeing you in their office because they will trust that you know what you’re dealing with yourself, so you might have to see them once or twice for a diaper rash initially, but afterwards, this can be kind of an ongoing medication that you just have refills available at the pharmacy for.

- If you can’t get to a doctor to get a prescription-strength yeast infection cream, you can try buying an over-the-counter one sold near female hygiene products at any grocery store or pharmacy. Buy one of the larger sizes and keep it around the house. No matter what you do, if you wear diapers, you will occasionally have a diaper rash, unfortunately.

-When you have a diaper rash or will be out walking around in the sweaty heat for an extended period of time, wear loose clothing items made of cotton that will breathe well to avoid a rash or irritation from forming -like shorts, not pants. If you’re female, shorter skirts work well. My dermatologist recently introduced me to a product called Body Glide that can be worn on the inner thighs and leg creases, under the barrier cream. It comes as a lotion or a cream on a stick, like deodorant. It’s available in both a female and a male formulation, from Amazon. I really like the deodorant stick-like product.

-Avoid wearing diapers that are too tight because they can cause the rash. This is really tough because you need the diaper to be tight enough to keep fluid in, but not so tight it strips your flesh. You may need to try different diaper products to find one that is sized best for you in the right places.

-Somebody here once recommended I try a very expensive product made by 3M called Cavilon. It comes in a spray that you spray on and let dry for a bit, or it comes in a cream. I tried the cream. It didn’t help solve nor prevent my diaper rashes at all. It wasn’t soothing. Calmoseptine is what my dermatologist told me to use. But apparently Cavilon does work for at least three other people I talked about it with in the past. You can order it from Amazon.

I recommend the following, which has also been recommended by my two dermatologists and my urologists:

-Change your diaper every time it’s wet; do not sit around in wet diapers or pads. Wash with water ONLY. My doctor is very strict about avoiding all soap products. It sounds gross but it keeps your skin from becoming irritated. Pat as you clean; do not scrub. Be very gentle. Use only very soft cloths; no sponges or scrub brushes.

-Shave everything bald, including your thighs and all of your bits. This will dramatically decrease the quantity of bacteria and sweat in the region.

-Bathe at least once daily. Showers are more clean than baths. Do not use soap on your genitalia in the shower or bath, either. No sponges, only very gentle and soft washcloths.

-Wear Calmoseptine barrier cream daily. It’s expensive but you hardly need any. A pea-sized amount will last for days and will cover your entire leg creases. You can’t even get that stuff off your skin if you want to! It is very thick and very soothing. Beware, however, that it can leave a grease stain on light-colored clothing because it contains oil. Sometimes it will wash out in the laundry but not always. You will find that Calmoseptine is very soothing for rashes both immediately and for a long time thereafter. Sometimes it is often stolen from stores by young parents for their babies, so if you don’t see it available on the shelf at the pharmacy, ask the pharmacist if they know where it is because they might keep it behind the counter to avoid it being stolen. Or, you can buy it on Amazon.

-As soon as you get a rash, go to Urgent Care or your urologist and tell them you need a yeast infection prescription cream like Ketacanazole. Keep some around the house for when you get an outbreak. When you apply it, it always goes on your skin first, followed by the barrier cream. You will likely also need a high dose of 7 days’ worth of a yeast infection oral medication called Diflucan/Flucanazole 150-200mg to get rid of the rash. Some doctors will try to just give you one day’s worth of the oral pill, but that doesn’t work with diaper rashes. Ideally, you can just build up a good rapport with your urologist or PCP/GP because they are used to diaper rashes and ideally, you should just be able to give them a phone call to get them to call in these prescriptions for you without even seeing you in their office because they will trust that you know what you’re dealing with yourself, so you might have to see them once or twice for a diaper rash initially, but afterwards, this can be kind of an ongoing medication that you just have refills available at the pharmacy for.

- If you can’t get to a doctor to get a prescription-strength yeast infection cream, you can try buying an over-the-counter one sold near female hygiene products at any grocery store or pharmacy. Buy one of the larger sizes and keep it around the house. No matter what you do, if you wear diapers, you will occasionally have a diaper rash, unfortunately.

-When you have a diaper rash or will be out walking around in the sweaty heat for an extended period of time, wear loose clothing items made of cotton that will breathe well to avoid a rash or irritation from forming -like shorts, not pants. If you’re female, shorter skirts work well. My dermatologist recently introduced me to a product called Body Glide that can be worn on the inner thighs and leg creases, under the barrier cream. It comes as a lotion or a cream on a stick, like deodorant. It’s available in both a female and a male formulation, from Amazon. I really like the deodorant stick-like product.

-Avoid wearing diapers that are too tight because they can cause the rash. This is really tough because you need the diaper to be tight enough to keep fluid in, but not so tight it strips your flesh. You may need to try different diaper products to find one that is sized best for you in the right places.

-Somebody here once recommended I try a very expensive product made by 3M called Cavilon. It comes in a spray that you spray on and let dry for a bit, or it comes in a cream. I tried the cream. It didn’t help solve nor prevent my diaper rashes at all. It wasn’t soothing. Calmoseptine is what my dermatologist told me to use. But apparently Cavilon does work for at least three other people I talked about it with in the past. You can order it from Amazon.
Hi well thank you for your very detailed reply to my question about my diaper rashes. I always use a barrier cream on my diaper area when changing a wet diaper which is probably around five times a day I use Cetraben ointment . i must admit to never heard about shaving my private parts, not sure if I like the idea . I am always up and out of bed prompt in the mornings don't like sitting around in a wet diaper for too long. After spending six or seven hours in my overnight diaper my skin is very clammy . After changing out off my very wet diaper it's a good shower and put on a clean dry Tena Slip .So hopefully you can see that I'm not sitting around for too long in soiled diapers. I also use a non scented soap but I was doing that many years ago , long before I became incontinent
Sometime earlier this year I had to visit my local NHS A&E department late at night and I was waiting about five or six hours to see a nurse and a doctor about an incontinence related problem . This was deemed acceptable !! So really not sure what I should be doing , I change my wet diaper regularly , shower daily using non scented soap I use a prescription barrier cream and STILL get diaper rash from time to time. On a really bad day I find that I'm walking like the Cowboy John Wayne because my diaper area is sore. 😬

Last edited:
Inco24seven

My Nurse suggested that I don't use barrier cream that often. The reason is that, more often than not, I end up trapping bacteria against my skin with the barrier cream, thus prolonging the rash more by using the cream.

Best to wash, rinse, and air dry for a bit. Even just dry off and then sit on the toilet for 10-15 minutes before dressing.

Just my thoughts and what my Nurse has me doing that seems to be working for me.

Interesting. I think the bottom line is that we’ll all be walking like John Wayne from time to time, unfortunately. It’s very challenging to wear tight female panties or diapers when a diaper rash is present. Very antagonizing. At least none of us is alone in this matter.

Sometimes I think that life is having a laugh at me , I really do . Not only do I need to wear diapers 24/7 to contain my wetting incidents my diaper region quite often itches and stings like crazy because of this urine rash .Just to top it all a few months ago I'd gone into a disabled toilet with a RADAR key to change my diaper , taking good care to check the door was locked. I had my jogging bottoms down to my ankles just about take the diaper off and a woman opens the supposed " locked " door. Obviously seeing me looking extremely embarrassed she quickly apologies and shuts the door. I still feel very humiliated about the entire incident . So that is why I get so down . With this you know that life isn't fair.
Ps a RADAR key enables the holder to use a disabled toilet, they are normally kept clean. I normally use disabled toilets to change a soiled diaper and dispose of it in the bin supplied. Don't think i will risk that again. I will keep the wet on pad until I can get changed in my own home., hopefully having no more accidents before getting home.