Cystoscopy

Guys, I’m curious: do urologists make you spread eagle on your back for your exams like cystoscopy, urodynamics, catheters, et al.? Women are ALWAYS put in that position at the urologist. It’s so demoralizing.

I hope you do get well in the process Sonoraider. It's too bad we haven't gotten to the place where stem cells can can be used. My PA said it is too expensive, that insurance won't cover it. But sometime in the future it will be a common thing for a lot of our problems.

snow said:
Guys, I’m curious: do urologists make you spread eagle on your back for your exams like cystoscopy, urodynamics, catheters, et al.? Women are ALWAYS put in that position at the urologist. It’s so demoralizing.

Snow, remember, to get to our bladder they go through our penis. They have different paths for guys and girls.

Snow

Sometimes it’s just bent over an exam table. Somes times It is on your back with knees up. I just feel sorry for the poor women that have to deal with my fat, flabby, white ass and my shriveled up penis. And 95% of the professionals I see are women.

@ritanofsinger Everyone I know who pays out of their pocket for stem cells say they feel born again afterward. I know skiers who say stem cells helped their knees more than knee replacements. If only I could afford them.....

If guys have to bend over at the urologist, that’s just as bad as having to spread eagle. I hoped for you guys you got to just lay flat on your back.

For some reason I don’t feel weird laying spread eagle for an OB-GYN, just a uro. Maybe that’s because I’ve seen an OB-GYN for 28 years and a urologist only five years.

Also, urology appointments take wayyyyyy longer than OB-GYN appointments, even when you’re at the OB-GYN for cancer removal procedures. Gynecologists are also much better about explaining what they’re doing to you exactly as it’s happening so you know what to expect.

I wish I could find a good female urologist locally, but I live in the land where women are told by their Mormon church to stay home and raise children - and they obey. Women in the workplace are frowned upon. Furthermore, we have the largest gender wage gap in the nation, and that’s been the case for 100 years. Women earn 38% less here than men, in every profession. So why would any female doctor choose to work here? It’s sad.

@snow, and that culture probably carries over to the medical profession. Men are treated a bit odd as well; we are expected to just suck it up, live with it. Ask no questions. Each gender has its own peculiarities.

I never see a ribbon for prostate cancer, but it's the #2 killer of men. Go figger.

@Doug Yeah, that’s weird about the lack of public support for prostate cancer. I think it’s because most men are too macho to talk about it publicly because in our culture, it’s frowned upon (but not by me!) when men show emotion to anyone but their significant other. I wish this were not the case. I prefer emotional expression, honesty, and support.

I do increasingly see prostate cancer and old-age incontinence in men discussed in movies. Recently it’s been the primary topic in “The Kominsky Method” series on Netflix, which I can’t recommend enough. It stars Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin.

I’ll tell you what: if you start a prostate cancer awareness campaign, I’ll wear the ribbon and put up posters and pamphlets, and attend demonstrations!

I think breast cancer gets a lot of awareness because let’s face it, everyone loves boobs, men and women! And they’re very publicly visible, unlike the prostate. If you’ve never seen breast cancer scars, I encourage you to do an image search on google. They’re absolutely horrible, way worse than prostate removal scars. And similar to a man whose prostate is gone, no woman is going to feel sexy after breast removal.

So maybe that’s some explanation why there’s more breast cancer awareness than prostate cancer awareness.

Snow -- That's what Steve Jobs' widow could do with her money and she doesn't know what to do with. She could sponsor a lot of people with stem cell treatments. How great that would be for so many.

Snow-- The gynecologist I currently see once a year is also a urologist, she's fairly young and is a wonderful communicator; takes her time to answer questions and explains everything clearly. My last two experiences with gynecologists, a woman and a man, were not pleasant.

@ritanofsinger I’m jealous! I had much better providers in L.A. than in weak, wishy-washy Salt Lake City.

d0777f3190689445e1201184c5d68832.jpg