Cystoscopy

Just a lil uncomfortable. Relax during it or you will feel it more - its basically a catheterization then they fill up your bladder with fluid to see how much you can hold prior to leaking. Its also a scope as well to see if there is any other causes and or issues.

Overall, it wasn't that bad for me. As long as you relax your muscles you will be okay. You might feel that you will leak, and leaking is possible, but the nurse i had said to not be embarassed by it - happens to alot of people.

I agree with Honeeecombs. Not that bad at all. They have you sit in an awkward position, but not a big deal. I have had many things that are much worse. They do this test to eliminate causes for your problems. Good luck and don't sweat it.

I had it for the 7th time about 6 weeks ago. None were bad, just a little creepy, but this guy was really good. Other than watching the screen i didnt even jnow it.

My only experience with it was when they did it after prostatectomy before catheter was removed. Since I was already cathetered, it was basically an X-ray where they injected some dye through the catheter.

I was so ready to get the catheter out that I didn’t much care what they did. But it didn’t hurt or anything.

Have had many in the last 5 years due to bladder cancer. They had to go in with the scope every 3 months for first year then every 6 months. Procedure only lasts a couple of minutes but feels like you’re peeing razor blades for the next day or so afterwards. No fun. Had scope last week, but couldn’t get to my bladder due to scar tissue. After prostatectomy had a hard time peeing and doc now having to go in next week for roto rooter work to correct. Hopefully you don’t have any issues.

Sonorarider - that doesn't sound like fun at all. What is the roto rooter expected to flush out? I had a bladder tie-up over a period of 20 years and I could feel when the stitches or whatever the doctor used started to tear out. Our internal parts are very fragile and scar tissue gets to be a big issue after a while.

My daughter had a ruptured ulcer last week and had emergency surgery. They flushed 2 liters of pus out with 7 liters of water. It was a life changing event for her. She vows now to never smoke another cigarette among other things like diet and exercise changes, she's nearing 61. I expect the scar tissue she will have inside and out will prohibit some activities like heavy lifting. She's been an active gardener. She said she wishes she had taken better care of herself and listened to her doctors and -----her mother!

I am due to have another one on Wednesday. Honestly it doesn't hurt. Can feel a scratching sometimes but they use plenty of lube. It can get messy down there so it is worth taking a spare pair of pants with you and a fresh pad or whatever protection you might be using so you can go home protected. (Saves the car seat getting stained).

Have scar tissue in urethra. With multiple scopes and several months of self catheters I suspect that led to scar tissue build up. Procedure cuts away at scar tissue and opens up urethra. Good to hear that others had no issues with the scope. I guess everyone has different experiences with different doctors.

I had a urologist stretch my urethra over several visits. It hurt like hell then
A nurse told me that it didn’t do any good because it was a muscle issue. Lost faith in that doctor on to another.

Sonororider, sounds like your post cysto pain is due to stricturing and scar tissue that makes scope entry more difficult, traumatic.

Hi @ritanofsinger, Your daughter still has plenty of time to take good care of herself and the effort will be truly worth it! The best step is stopping smoking! That's the number one thing she can do to get herself back on track. And of course exercise. She may join a gym or go independently like I do. I've always been a believer in just plain ol' walking. It is great exercise :D and is a low-impact aerobics. If I miss a day of walking then I'm not really fit to live with!:( Best to walk briskly and with fall coming on that will be easy to do! Start off low, say walk a mile a day and then maybe next week, one and a half miles a day and so on. The point is to walk more each day than you did the day before.
As for diet, it's time to watch fat and cholesterol intake as well as sodium. I think those can aggravate ulcers. So eat healthy! For details on your daughter's particular needs do contact a dietitian.
I hope she is recovering uneventfully and will feel much better soon!

It was one of the most painful procedures of my life, and I’ve had 19 surgeries in five years. I’m female.

Soory it was for you. They put a melting type of KY with local anesthetic in your urethra and it tends to flow over its entirety. Perhaps you had a negligent provider

I’ve had one cystoscopy, and it was really very easy. I had been worried about it a lot, and the worst thing for me was transferring to the table. I have MS and use a wheelchair. Once that was over, the test was pretty simple. And, for me, didn’t hurt at all. Now don’t ask about the urodynamics test I had later. It actually didn’t hurt either, but was just embarrassing.

@Doug It doesn’t work the same way in women. We have to lay there spread-eagles like we’re having a baby. It’s horrid. To make it worse, I now have scar tissue they have to get past. I would like to try a different provider, one of these days.

Hi Snow, It sounds like you may be looking at a cystoscopy somewhere down the road. Maybe you can go ahead and line up a different provider now so when you actually do need the procedure you won't need to scramble to find someone and hope for the best! Right now is the time to plan ahead and maybe talk to the provider so they know what your needs are and to have your questions answered. If that last one was painful, it would be good to find out about anesthesia, etc., with the new provider. I really think that a competent and caring provider would do whatever is needed to make the experience as pain-free as possible.

Five years worth of multiple scopes to look in my bladder and doing self catheters I believe took their toll on my urethra (and maybe my prostate)Something as invasive as those can’t be good for the long haul. Had to do it though. Just part of the “get well” process.

I don't like it, but it's not the worst thing in the world. My urologist told me that some men have it monthly for urethral strictures, which is the reason I've had it. Thankfully, it never got that bad with me However, it did cause my urinary incontinence. (I haven't forgiven it for that'yet.) The good .thing about a cystoscopy is that when it's over, it's over