Cymbalta

Archives1

Staff member
I had a visit today with my surgeon about my continence issue for 6 months now. He has changed my medication from Myrbetriq to Cymbalta. Has anyone used this drug and did it help.

Hello. This I find strange. Mybetriq is indicated for OAB. Cymbalta, I think, is for pain due to depression. Remember the commercial: "Depression hurts"?https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1661641/
But according to this article it has shown promise for stress urinary incontinence. It's probably that mind and body connection Snow speaks of. Interesting indeed.Seems to be an approved treatment in Europe but not sure about FDA approval in USA(?) But there are many medications used "off label" I took Cymbalta for a very short period but didn't see any improvement so I discontinued use. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. All the best to you.

Hi I just copied this from my other post on topic duloxetine aka cymbalta but yes I am on the generic duloxetine of cymbalta.

Just curious if anyone else is on this medication. Just a bit of background is I was diagnosed with relapse remitting multiple sclerosis at the end of 2016. As a result suffered from a major depressive disorder and eventually my psychiatrist and I landed on duloxetine which has helped me immensely.

I just never realized that this medication can result in some people with residual urine in their bladders and or may result in additional bladder problems and or irritants.

Guaranteed my major bladder problems are as a result of nerved damage due to a major ms attack to which my neurologist said that the nerve is slowly dying from the damage and that would be able to explain the increased symptoms even though my mri’s come back clean with no active lesions.

Just curious if anyone else on this forum has similar issues from being on this medication.

I noted that on another page there was discussion of adhd and possible connection to bladder problems. I do have adhd and am on vyvanse currently; however have taken concerta previously and I am not sure if there is a connection to my bladder problems. Granted I started taking meds after I was diagnosed with my RR MS as I just wanted to reduce the stress load I was under and by any chance if taking adhd meds would help I was game. Fortunately I am very lucky in that my body likes prescription medication as I am currently on 12 different prescriptions daily with minimal side effects at age 40. Yay for that, lol have to see the positive in certain things lol 😂

Cheers

Jason

Cymbalta saved my life once, in terms of depression and back pain. 120 mg was ideal for my back, but I was on 60mg for six years. It made somewhat catatonic. I had to dramatically reduce my dose to 20mg because yes, it made my incontinence much worse.

Myrbetriq is a relatively new medication. Cymbalta treats 1) depression and is what us known as a stimulating antidepressant because it can give you energy and focus, and 2) lumbar back pain. It wasn’t prescribed for this, but I found it helped my overall pain, including in my knees and neck.

I would highly question any physician who prescribes Cymbalta for incontinence. It has basically nothing in common chemically with a bladder medication.

@Jwh51 All of the ADHD meds increase urination. I’ve been on some form here and there for 30 years, since I was 16.

Like, snow, I would question why any doctor would prescribe duloxetine (Cymbalta) for any urinary issue. I have a condition known as DISH (Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis). It is a bony hardening of ligaments in areas where they attach to your spine. From personal experience, I have learned DISH is not something many doctors know about. I was fortunate to find a doctor who understood it and prescribed duloxetine at the lowest level of 30 mg. The doctor told me Duloxetine was originally created to deal with depression. Over time it was discovered that it also helps with pain, again as snow stated.

I have been taking it for about 5 years. It has never helped me with either my BPH condition I had and did nothing to reduce my OAB symptoms.

I once tried to stop using it without doctor supervision. Doing so caused me to be a wild man with terrible mood swings. It was terrible. From what people are saying here, Jlong53, I would ask for the doctor to explain what it will do for your incontinence.

@Boopsie61 Cymbalta is an antidepressant that can also be help for nerve pain. So, if your incontinence is neurogenic in nature, it's possible your surgeon is thinking that Cymbalta might be beneficial to you in this regard. Let us know how it goes.

@JoelCairo My incontinence is neurogenic and Cymbalta was never prescribed for it. I was told it makes incontinence worse because it’s like a stimulant.

@fleemoore There is actually an official diagnosis called Cymbalta Withdrawal Syndrome. It is absolute hell even to just decrease it. OMG, the worst migraines if my life!

@snow Cymbalta is absolutely NOT a stimulant. As an antidepressant, it might affect some patients in a similar way as stimulants, but Cymbalta is not remotely related to the stimulant class of medications. And, yes, abrupt discontinuation of Cymbalta can lead to withdrawal syndrome. You should always work with your medical provider to taper off it slowly to avoid withdrawal syndrome.

@snow My apologies. I read your comment wrong. In psychiatry, certain terms have very particular meanings. "Stimulant" refers to a particular class of medications, which we don't associate with antidepressants. Instead, we think of an antidepressant as "activating," which sounds like what you mean. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Antidepressants can affect patients in different ways. For example, common but paradoxical side effects associated with Cymbalta are insomnia and drowsiness. When starting a patient on an antidepressant, I always ask the patient to choose a time of day to take the medication, pay attention to whether the medication is activating or causes drowsiness, and then adjust the dosing schedule accordingly. In your case, I would recommend that you take Cymbalta in the morning due to its activating effects.

@snow, I was amazed to learn how getting off Cymbalta was such an emotional issue. Thanks for sharing the Cymbalta Withdrawal Syndrome info. I'll be interested to read about it.

@JoelCairo Yep. When I wake up, I role over to my pill case and take my Cymbalta and Wellbutrin. If I forget, I won’t take them after noon.

Fair enough snow. I am just scared of forgetting my cymbalta lol from whatever I have read of coming off of it as it made me that more scared and I brought it up with my psychiatrist and brought it up and his response was Who Said You Were Coming Off? Lol I was like honestly I have never thought of it that that way.

So it’s quite interesting at least for me.

Cheers

Jason