Cup half full, life is good.

Archives1

Staff member
Curious how many besides myself see the cup as "half full"? Acceptance and adjusting while moving on with life isn't always doom and gloom. Once I had exhausted all medical options I knew the rest was up to me. I simply got on with life, how many others with medical issues/conditions have done the same?

I haven't had this condition long enough to make a qualified opinion. I have always pretty much lived my entire life as an optimist, work hard, adventure into the unknown and make the best of my decisions. Had a lot of fun, some disappointments, so adapt and move on. Worked out for the most part. Good for you that you just aren't sitting back and waiting for the inevitable. I am glad you are getting on with it!!

Yep, my cup is half full [usually with urine:):)], but I get to decide what my attitude and outlook will be each day and I choose to appreciate my loved ones and all the things I still have and can do despite urinary issues.

CES97 said:
Curious how many besides myself see the cup as "half full"? Acceptance and adjusting while moving on with life isn't always doom and gloom. Once I had exhausted all medical options I knew the rest was up to me. I simply got on with life, how many others with medical issues/conditions have done the same?

Yes; been trying to keep a glass half full rather than half empty kind of mindset. It's been working well for me in some respects- things are going in a positive direction - regardless of medical problems and making goals to plan for the future.

Good post 😀 also enjoyed @Scififan recent post - as I could relate to it growing up.

Kindly,
Honeecombs

I see things these days as having another chance every morning I wake up. I don't know how many chances or days left that I will wake up. So as a friend has always said to me just one day at a time. I wake up and I see what I can do with that day. Sometimes I do more and others less. Just do the best you can. I am pretty lucky so far. I was born in a place with a very good most everything. I have a house, car, clothes and plenty of food and clean water. Many others even in this country do not. And places around the world have even less. If I have a bad day I try to remember that there are people that have an even worse day by multiple times than I did. That day is over and cannot be changed. If I wake up the next day I have another chance. One of these days I will run out of chances but for now I am trying the best I can with today.

Happy Easter to you all and I hope that this day is a good one for you and you have many more good days ahead.

As I believe I've said in previous posts, I'm pretty pragmatic about life. If something works, I'll use it and move on with my life as well as I can. If it isn't working,, try something else. I refuse to just quit everything I enjoy doing.

I've never experienced the "5 stages of grief". It's more like, "Ok, this is what happened. What can I do about it to live my normal life with as little impact as possible".

So, I guess I'm pretty positive and see my life as fuller and not empty.

The submarines I was on (all US Navy subs actually) always say 1/4 Full, 1/2 Full, 3/4 Full, Full. There is no room for pessimism on a sub. :)

I am learning it is important to see things are half full. Stress and anxiety is not good for your health. I have pelvic pain and am told that stress can cause muscle tension in the pelvic area which can cause pain. Therefore you have to both stop stress as well as physical stretch the muscle to relieve muscle tension Stress can cause many problems and therefore it is good to see things half full or quarter full.

I’m more half-full than I’ve ever been before, at least. It’s taken a lot of effort on my part. I think I was born a pessimist, or as I like to say, a realist, so I struggle to be optimistic. Another way of saying this is that I was born with too much anxiety to have very much hope - about anything.

@rmconversion “If I have a bad day I try to remember that there are people that have an even worse day by multiple times than I did” is definitely a helpful thing to keep in mind.

@snow Not super good at this yet. I still have my bad days and complain way more than I would like to looking back. Good thing I do not spend a lot of time on that as I posted it is done and gone and I cannot change it. Today was a pretty good day for me in that I did do some much needed yard work. In fact the last few days have not been bad for doing something with my time. It hasn't been good on the leak control front as I was outside doing work. I will take it as a check mark in the good day column though. I hope you are having a good day as well.

@snow. The smile you give helps others with stress and anxiety. I am learning to laugh more with others and at myself It makes me feel better and helps others

@mconversion I have it great living in the US and have never experienced hunger like many other people. l realize how lucky I am and it gives me a positive feeling
Wishing everyone happiness

I always see the cup "half full". I like to have the power to change those things which I can change, to simply accept without hesitation those ones which I can't and the wisdom to recognize which one is what!

According my UIC I've accepted my condition and be somehow happy that my fate with getting older didn't hit worse yet. Compared to my beloved wife who hat already one hip replacement and has to deal with back pain, often pain in the neck and headache if she doesn't frequently make exercises, yoga, gym - yes, she's OK, successfully doing a lot to keep active, mobile, free of pain and positive!
For me it's much easier - I have no kind pain (as long as I don't try too long too hard to hold an urge), no trouble at all with my skin, I have full mobility - only thing is that I have to wear a different kind of one-way underwear which I have to change 3 times in 24 hours, otherwise I can live my life nearly the same way that before without limitations.

@snow Hi snow. Cleaning up my email and thought I should save this topic - half full/life is good. Sometimes it seems like everything is a fight or a project. I can be very stubborn and impatient. The stubborn part served me well growing up, but maybe at long last I should actually grow up and let the difficulties not occupy so much space in my brain. My husband is much better about it than I am. I told melanie re the whole menopause thing - He is a below the knee amputee (4 years out due to a blood clot) He has 6 stents in his heart and his blood pressure is all over the board. He has said to me, "Pammy, sometimes you have to go shopping for your optimism" If I keep that in mind, 75% full - Pam

Half full half empty, it’s still 50% of capacity. I try to work on filling not draining. And even if things seem to hit bottom, there is only one way to go, up.

~Mel

@Pammy53 I’m right there with you, my version of a full cup is at 75% ;) You wrote, “Sometimes it seems like everything is a fight or a project.” I also completely relate to that, and I certainly relate to “I should let . . . the difficulties not occupy so much space in my brain.” In some ways, thanks to therapy, I’ve been able to make tremendous progress battling my perfectionism. In other ways, it still rules my existence. I have that tendency by both nature (born with OCD) and nurture (raised by perfectionistic parents who demanded the same from me), so it’s hard to truly let go. Perfectionism helped me accomplish many things in life, but when my body started throwing me major curve balls at too young of an age, my perfectionism could no longer come first. I’ll probably always struggle to reconcile my intellectual drive down to my physical reality.

@CES97 @wyr13 @spicewerx @rmconversion @Hbic60 @melanie @snow
- I am glad to see that you guys are doing what you can and just try to get on with it. Mel- very true. When you are on the bottom the only other way to go is up. When my husband's blood clot in his calf moved on to gangrene, the surgeon though very good walked in, looked at it and said "Ya know that's got to come off don't you?" My husband said "Yes" Then, "I'll do it tomorrow " and he left. - He really only had a few bad days mentally/emotionally in the beginning. The phantom pain is the hard part and will never go away - though it can back off some, it can just as quickly hit with full force. For a guy who always went 90mph, he does what he can and doesn't dwell alot on what he can't. We are both currently in wheelchairs, he having skin issues with his stump and I am improving from my second broken hip (yes both of them in 3 years. WHO does that?!). We tag team alot and I am trying hard to be glad for what I accomplished today and not bemoan, and focus on those things that I didn't. (old habits die hard sometimes) I am also trying hard to adopt my husband's attitude - "Take your little victories and run with them") - Thank you all for your support and wisdom - Pam

Cup is always full here I am usually the most content person I know. Other peoples issues and problems cause me a lot more stress than my own.