Cpap and oab?

Archives1

Staff member
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I get cpap next week. Ive read a lot about it helping with not only getting up at night to pee but also with daytime urgency and leakage. Any experiance?

I have OAB and sleep apnea. Unfortunately, I have found no difference in my pee frequency (daytime or nighttime) with using the CPAP, although my wife says it has helped eliminate my snoring. I hope you have a better experience with the CPAP than I did.

For my dad, his CPAP greatly improved his sleep and daytime quality of life, but had no effect on his OAB. I have heard others here say it helps. My brain neurologist says it helps.

I have been using CPAP since about 2000, but did not have bladder urgency/frequency until about 2010. That means that in my case I have two answers to choose from: either there was no connection, or the CPAP caused the OAB problems. 😕

Everyone has their own experiences. Time will tell.

I would like to encourage you to be patient with getting used to CPAP. Many people give up quickly. (The statistic I see most often is 50% quit.) I have had to change my machines, masks, and tubing many times over the years. In the beginning I was okay with a nasal mask, but these days I use a full-face mask.

I have had to solve my own problems as they developed. For example, my mouth would no longer stay closed while sleeping with the nasal mask, so I switched to the full-face type. But that caused dry mouth, which caused dental decay and ultimately loss of teeth and getting dentures. Even with the full-face mask air still leaked between my rear teeth and cheeks. To solve that I created a thick, felt pad that I attached to the mask strap where it passed over my cheeks. It closed the gap and stopped the leak. (I haven't seen that tip on a video yet?)

From my experience:

* Beware of the Philips Respironics recall. Recently Philips announced their machines were expelling carcinogenic gas and particles from the sound dampening foam. Millions of people are now stuck having to buy their own new machine from other makers. (I am one of those people!)
* Get an automatic machine with heated humidifier and heated tube. Without the heated tube condensation will form inside the tube (especially if you sleep in a cold room like I do). The buzzword for that is "rain-out". Before the advent of heated tubing the only solution was trying to cover the tube with some kind of insulation, but that never worked completely for me.
* Stay away from ozone cleaning machines. I have seen proof that ozone will break down the foam and seals inside the machine.
* Learn how to tweak the pressure and other features yourself. This is easy if your supplier gives you the "provider's guide", but they don't seem to do that anymore. Get on YouTube and lookup videos about CPAP equipment. There are lots of good tips and advice available, plus there are lots of videos on how to gain access to the pressure and special features for your machine.
* You have 30 days to exchange a mask that doesn't work for you. Finding the mask that will work for you can take a a while. Do what you can to adjust all the straps, but don't give up. Take it back within 30 days. Don't live with it if it just won't work.
* There is no law that says you have to buy new equipment more than what you consider necessary. They will bug you to death to accept new equipment you don't really need. They make it sound like the mask will fall apart every 30 days and the tube will wear out. I learned to keep a few spares of every component on hand. That allows me to clean one set while using the other set.
* You don't need special cleaning wipes and cleaners and machines. A big plastic tub filled with diluted white vinegar works for me. I make a new batch every 2 months or so. I also use regular alcohol on my masks from day-to-day. Soap and water works too. Nothing fancy.

I hope this goes well for you, and may God bless you!:D

I use a cpap but don’t have oab. I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder so my situation is different. I hate my cpap machine and honestly don’t use it like I should. The one I used in the hospital was much better than the one I have at home.

Thanks @MezaJarJarBinks for the tips above. I’ll try some of them.

I use as CPAP and have a neurogenic bladder. I'm so glad I have diapers or else I would wake up in the morning or anytime I sleep with having to have soaked the bed, couch, etc.