Costs of incontienence

Archives1

Staff member
I’m trying to find a way to cut down on the cost of disposables. There doesn’t seem to be any way though. Cloth won’t work because I live in an apartment and the only washers we have are coin operated in the basement. I have a hard time getting up and down the stairs so that’s an issue. Right now I am wearing MegaMax cause it seems that’s the only thing that works. I doubt cheaper diapers that are covered by my Medicaid will work. I dunno I’m just stressing over finances

That’s what I’m running into. I mean betterdry leaks on me and they are a premium diaper. I don’t think the cheaper stuff is gonna cut it. I’ve cut as many costs as I can. I cut cable, eating out etc. 2 cases of MegaMax costs me almost $100. On a disability budget that’s a lot. And I normally need 3 cases but I had some sent to my parents for my time at Xmas. And I paid for those 100% out of pocket. Incontienence is killing me!

My tips.

Use the Honey chrome plug-in.

I have saved quite a bit from that.

Find places that give you discounts for ordering more than one case.

Set up auto-ordering if you can.

I get discounts from Northshore already. I don’t think I can get MegaMax any cheaper. They are the only diaper that works for me.

ej - there has to be a way for you to get some help on this expense. One of your doctors or physical therapist should be able to access information on how you can get financial help. It's just outrageous that this is happening to you.

I can relate - I've found that I risk leaks with any product with a capacity under 5l or so (see that Megamax has a capacity of 6.5l) and have had the BetterDry leak on me. Plus, I find the BetterDry cause me rashes more than others due to the fit. The issue is I'm also in a wheelchair when I'm out and about and so really can't afford leaks or it would be a massive headache. High capacity products and rubber pants over the top have stopped any leaks thus far. However cost is a big deal - fortunately not $2.75 per product though.

The compromise I've come to is just saving the big high capacity ones for when I'm out and about and using lesser capacity products around the house and figuring I'll leak now and again. Although lesser capacity products aren't cheap though. I looked into using cheaper products and boosters but when I worked it all out there really wasn't much in it when you added the cost of cheaper nappies and boosters. Around a year ago I got some 'ID Expert' products as I thought they'd be a good, cheaper alternative for around the house and the quality was so awful - the tapes wouldn't stay done up making them useless - I had to throw them all out.

I think it really highlights how poor the quality of so many incontinence products are. The wetness indicator of the highest capacity Tena products would be set off when I had after dribble so no wonder they can't handle full voids well. When I think about how much I'd spend before Long Covid came along the difference is staggering - one pack of Tena Ultima nappies, some pullups for work and overnight and a couple of packs of really high capacity nappies for IBS would easily last me a month. Now I require plastic backed nappies 24/7 and overnight as I tend to have a full void the second I wake up. There really needs to be a mid-point between really pricey products and the standard ones.