Continence Nurses

Archives1

Staff member
I don't want to seem like a pervert here, but if you have an incontinence problem and go to a Continence Nurse; Will they show you how to put on your diaper (brief)and also the best way to keep yourself clean after wettings and possible soilings? Just asking! Don't want to get in trouble here.

No, not at all. They provide tutorial videos and samples of different disposable products to see what fits/feels most comfortable and offers the correct level of protection. If you need more help they use a partial mannequin to demonstrate.

Sorry, Dino. I've seen that syndrome before - us Americans can be oblivious.
And we (USA) do have continence nurses - they just don't call them that. Urology nurses. Big hospitals have Urology sections just for Continence, nurses that do little else.
Is their training & experience all that different from a British continence nurse? I'd guess it's: not too much.
No big deal. Even "regular" hospital nurses and ICU nurses deal with it, probably frequently. They change you, deal with consequences to you and the bed. When you get discharged, they might hand you a tube of barrier cream, too, or tell you to get one. It'll be on your discharge instructions. (It was on mine).
So nurses have a chance to learn by OTC, besides their training and character. Except for certain specialties, nurses have little they haven't seen before, or been asked about.
Glad to see from CES97 that there are resources. Are they available "commercially" or at the Library? Try on-line. Ask your Doc.

There are so many specialties, today, but a cancer nurse in a ward filled with prostate cancer patients probably gets more than her/his share. I don't imagine a Urology Doctor or cancer Doctor is going to keep on a nurse who can't handle patients with or needing diapers and skin care and cleanliness.
You know those emails or letters you get: "Please Rate Your Visit to Our Facility on June 35th?" Uh huh.
Good luck

I’ve never heard of such a thing. And I’ve been dealing with this for almost 7 years. Maybe we don’t have them here. You can’t even get diapers in any of the hospitals here. I’ve had to bring my own

You are correct about hospitals not providing pads or diapers.

On the subject of absorbent materials, what is the best or most favored brand name? I just started using ‘Because’ but they seem to be too expensive.

justej said:
I’ve never heard of such a thing. And I’ve been dealing with this for almost 7 years. Maybe we don’t have them here. You can’t even get diapers in any of the hospitals here. I’ve had to bring my own
Must be a British thing we have an NHS Continence service and some brilliant continence nurses.

@Stevewet Nothing like that in the US unless you have access to a handful of hospitals around the continent - I don’t.

We have continence nurses in Australia. They’ve given me some good advice on products, bladder retraining, lifestyle modifications, etc. Very practical.

The US has them too. They are referred to as wound care nurses. They see you on an outpatient basis and handle ostomy care along with wounds. When I worked on a surgical floor, I did most of the ostomy teaching while the patients were inpatient. Follow up was with Home Health Nurses and clinics with specialized trained nurses. Also, locally we have support groups that are very helpful. It really just depends on where you are. As a nurse, I learned more coping skills from patients than I did in books.

@justej Hello
in France if you need a diaper at the hospital, he will provide it to you
there is the pants or the complete change
for my bedwetting it is the caregiver who takes care of me because following my operation I could not move

@philippe Hospitals here have the absolute worst, cheapest, ill-fitting diapers and they tend to not believe you when you tell them that they need them. I’ve had three surgeries where they refused to let me wear my own, even though I brought it in its original, sealed bag and it was germ-free. It’s so unbelievable. They prefer to just put disposable bed pads under you, which is unbelievably humiliating and a big, gross mess. Diapers are such a better solution.

I have a wonderful urology nurse PA, she messages me if I ask her something, and whenever I need a Foley placed she is ready to do this. She stated this to my insurance once, his issues are lifelong. I dont know how I would cope without her. As my bladder issues are not curable, and just need help with management.

@snow we also have a very bad diaper but give them to you when you ask them because if you have to do some re-education it seems logical
When I went to have my herniated disc operated on, I did not wet the bed and it was afterwards that it was declared
this is how I have known diapers until this day and which saddens me because all that I have done for the medical does not work