Confused about the way the body works

Archives1

Staff member
Can someone explain something that seems a little wrong to me and maybe means - well, I don't know what it means.

I have heard that when someone loses an extremity, the feeling of that part remains. So if you lost a leg, you would still feel as if you were experiencing the sensations of having the leg.

I have been experiencing the partial loss of the ability to use my anal sphincter. Lately this has been getting to be more extreme. I feel as if the control is almost completely gone. I try to tighten the muscle and feel as if I just don't know what to do. Then I begin to tighten surrounding muscles, unintentionally, instead. It is so crazy. How can this be?

It sounds as if your brain is trying to send a message to the muscle, but the neural pathway is not working correctly, and the message gets, so to speak, rerouted. I have observed a similar phenomenon in the case of someone with partial neuropathy who broke a toe that had no sensation. A different toe, which was capable of feeling pain, hurt a lot, but x-rays showed that the toe that had the pain was not the toe that had been fractured. Have you discussed this with your primary care physician, or with a neurologist?

That is so fascinating and scary. I haven't spoken to my doctor about this yet though he does know about my Incontinence. The condition I am talking about seems to change from time to time. When I'm sitting I seem to have a slightly better response. That is, I seem to be able to control a muscle in the area though I still can't gain control enough to hold. But often I find, especially when standing, that I just don't know what to do. How could I have forgotten how to hold it in? And I feel like trying anything would just have me twitching. I wonder if I Could somehow have triggered a disease that is more generalized than just applying to my ability to hold body waste.

I,am also urine incontinent but just lately been having some trouble with anal sphincter and lose some bowel.

Have you tried Kegel exercises to reinforce the neural pathways to the area? I added an app to my phone to help me remember to do this every day. May be worth a try.

Diana said:
It sounds as if your brain is trying to send a message to the muscle, but the neural pathway is not working correctly, and the message gets, so to speak, rerouted. I have observed a similar phenomenon in the case of someone with partial neuropathy who broke a toe that had no sensation. A different toe, which was capable of feeling pain, hurt a lot, but x-rays showed that the toe that had the pain was not the toe that had been fractured. Have you discussed this with your primary care physician, or with a neurologist?
also, thinking about it now, i’ve had misplaced pain in my mouth with problematic teeth.

About the loss of muscle control I mentioned above what troubles me now is having the feeling of being unable to control. I try to tighten that muscle and I can't. If I try real hard there might be a little twitch, but mostly other muscles move instead. And I have the awful feeling of being open and I can't tighten my sphincter and it feels so uncomfortable. I'm always aware of it. Does anyone know, will it always be this uncomfortable and frustrating???? I may just start screaming. Seriously. It's like there's about to be a movement but I know nothing is there even if it feels like there is. What can I do to stop this feeling???????

A new development is that about a week ago I felt as if original control was back - only very slightly - hardly at all, but something was there. Now I seem to have lost control again and when I try the muscles at my sides below my hips are what tighten and nothing else. There also seems to be less urinary control as well.