Condom catheters

Archives1

Staff member
Im now 6 weeks past prostectomy still leaking constantly and find the moisture in the pads "the pads are not heavy or loaded" wicking up against me making me uncomfortable or having to change reletivly light mostly unused pads every hour. I found condom catheters during the day make me feel more comfortable and dry.
Im wondering is there reasons to stick with uncomfortable pads?

I felt the same way. I was using 20-25 pads a day because I didn't like feeling wet, even though the pad was not saturated. At 4 months after doing Kegels and physical therapy I magically dropped to 5-6 pads a day. A lot better control throughout the day. Still tend to leak when doing physical activity, but hopefully that will improve over time.

I am at 5 months post surgery and using 3-4 pads. I never used the condoms, I made the mistake of buying a penile clamp which was a waste of $40. Too painful to wear.

Dad..., Now that you are one of us...I've posted several notes regarding my own solution to leakage, which you may have missed. The short version is that, after five+ years of development and testing with volunteers, an engineer partner and I have designed a soft flexible external aid to deal with leakage. It is patent-pending, but has been improved since. We are now conducting field trials for the last time, thinking we've finally reached our goal in management. If interested in helping us with this final test, I will send additional info that will answer many of your questions. (see my profile for a picture.) I would expect that your leakage will be minimized, as mine has, allowing you a very "normal" day. Pls send an email to: amhelp@comcast.net which will allow me to forward info. We look forward to hearing from you and would very much appreciate your feedback. Fynlee

I used external catheters for about a month when I returned to work. Conveen Aloe Vera gel was best for me. Only negative to me was a little uncomfortable and harder to train the bladder. Also getting off wasn’t fun. I also used a Lundberg clamp. Really didn’t have much problem with it. Little uncomfortable but worked pretty good. Luckily down to 1-2 pads now.

I found the condom catheter a real life saver. Firstly I felt very secure with it when going out, especially for a full day. Secondly I liked the freedom of being able to wear boxers and getting the air around the private parts. However, being closely shaved is necessary and for me adhesive remover aerosol was necessary if I didn't want to tear my skin. Although I can generally manage with just one or two light pads for the day and am totally dry at night I still use the condom catheter on occasions. I never peed into the leg bag out of convenience and always tried to hold on if I urgently needed the loo. The only downside to the conveen might be the temptation to be lazy and not train the bladder

I posted a detailed description of my experience using condom catheters, clamps and pads two weeks ago, entitled "Briefs/Pads vs Catheter vs Clamp … What works?". You might find this helpful along with other responses to your post.

My experience with external (condom) catheters is that they are very useful for longer periods when incontinence management is difficult or impossible such as long drives, air travel, large events, etc. However, I have found that wearing a catheter does allow you to forget about incontinence and necesssary use of pelvic floor muscles to help manage it. The discomfort that comes with wearing briefs/pads is a constant reminder to work your floor muscles, expecially when moving, to learn how to control incontinence. So even though I like using external catheters and clamps, I still primarily use briefs and pads throuhout the day.

Right,
I like that choices are available with each having pros and cons, all your comments definitely gave me clarity on when to wear what.

I didn't like feeling wet all the time with a pad and found guards which you can line your underpants with leaked on chairs at work. I went on to external catheters and never looked back. Yes, they fall off when I am very wet but most of the time they provide me with the freedom I need and I don't feel I am wearing protection. As others have said, it is best to still use the toilet when you can but having this type of protection is reassuring and can be used in times when there are no toilets outdoors. Find a good quality leg bag is also important. I use Coloplast Active bags and these can be worn under shorts and un-noticable.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a urethra clamp for a lady’s tiny parts, and definitely no equivalent of a condom catheter. You guys are lucky to have those two extra options available to you!

@laalaauk Thanks, I’m aware of Purewick. It costs a fortune ($thousands), there’s a chance you can pull the container full of pee off the side table if you roll over in your sleep, and it doesn’t work for sidesleepers. My knees, neck, and back necessitate side sleeping. But that you very much for making sure I know about it. It only works with backsleepers.

I am now about 13 weeks post RP. My biggest fear going back to work was how I was going to deal with the leakage. I just finished my second week back and happy to say that has not been that much of a problem, depending on my activity. Being the manager department does aid in my ability to stay at my desk quite a bit. Most days in two pads, a couple was only one, or at least made it home on one. Still getting through the nights on one regular depends. Only one day did I wet my underwear somewhat, being out in the field doing a job walk. That's the day I found out only wear the Hanes. Learning experience. I only thought I had problems and I am counting my blessings and hope you all will get this under control sooner than later. I also do not keep my problem a secret at work either, everyone knows my issues and are very supportive and understanding.
@Daddyrod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087DPD3LD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
and
I wish all of you nothing but the best. The people on this site are wonderful. Thank you.

@wyr13 That's great,
I'm glad to hear your progress....I'm at 6 weeks past my RP and using between 4 and 5 pads, I hope I'm at 2 pads when I'm 13 in, Maybe the effort will pay off after all... What was your exercise program?
Congratulations.

@Daddyrod For about 3 weeks, after catheter came out and before going back to work I followed this lady's recommendation.
I think she's great and I got that link from this site on the Introduction thread.
That being said, I think I am just fortunate because I suck at sticking to a routine.
Going to start Physical Therapy 3/8 to help me stick to it.
Maybe that in itself will help some not to fret over it so much.
My best to you, hope that link helps.

Yes Coloplast were helpful to me on that issue. They sent a number of samples of different circumferences and two different lengths. They also send a measuring wheel for circumference. All very important for total security