College with incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Hello, I head back to college soon I was wondering if anybody has dealt with urinary incontinence while in college and does anyone have any tips or advice

I started have issues when I was a junior in college. I lived by myself that year, which made things easier. I would wear to class and no one ever found out. I would even change on campus, but usually found single bathrooms. I shared an apartment my senior year but I had my own bedroom and bathroom. My roommate or our friends never said anything. I would buy the diapers from a medical supply store in town. They were very friendly and I had a standing order for Attends. Overall, college was a great experience and needing diapers didn't dampen it.

If you are in the dorms, it may be tougher to keep under wraps. If you have a good roommate then no one else should know. It is just important to keep the room smelling fresh and to take your wet diapers out often. Did you have these issues last semester too or did this start during break?

I started having nighttime issues last year this summer I started having some slight daytime issues but am worried I will have an accident in class. I have an apartment with my own room and share a bathroom

Any advice on how to manage would be appreciated I'm new to dealing with this my first two years of school I didn't have any major bladder issues during the day

If you are a dorm student tell the colleges department for student disabilities. It may be called something else, but every school has one. Often they will accommodate you into your own room or at minimum your own private bathroom. I teach at a university and college students care about getting to class and are far too stressed out to care about someone needing diapers. If you need advocacy help, there are plenty of incontinence groups that can speak to the university on your behalf.

I have a couple thoughts on this, however I have to acknowledge that i did not live through this experience myself.

I remember reading through a similar thread a while back, it may have been on a different forum. Incontinencesupport.org i think or something like that. Well anyways there was a young man who was currently attending college, if i remember right he reported having bother bowel and bladder incontinence his entire life. He describing going into college with confidence in the fact that he had to wear diapers. He stated that he had accidents in front of other people, referenced changing his diaper and even played football with his diaper showing. What he stated was that no one seemed to care. They were accepting and just went along with it.

My own experience of college was drastically different then high school as well. I didn't have these issues then. But in High school i was bullied. Junior high and high school were miserable for me. I have mild cerebral palsy and was a little socially delayed, so in other words i had a target on my back.
College was a completely different world. The first thing i noticed was open and accepting people were about everything. Everyone was focused on people treating each other respectfully and kindly, and people who would engage in bullying behavior tended to be ostracized by the group as a whole. No one seemed to be targeting anyone. I did go to a smaller school, where there was only one dorm of about 100 people. I was on friendly terms with all of them.

I can't guarantee that you will have the same experience, but i am guessing that you find that people are more accepting and supportive then you would think.

I assume most people would be accepting. I would still prefer they not find out I am still trying to adjust to my issues as they evolve.

I'm 75, but my incontinence problem goes back to a medical mishap when I was 14. So it's something I had to deal with in university. At the time, I was generally able to go without a daytime diaper provided that I had ready access to a bathroom whenever necessary. However, I wore a diaper while writing exams, going on car trips where it might not be possible to stop when I needed to, or at any time when a bathroom might not be available on short notice; and I always required a diaper to sleep in.

As noted above, I handled the issue by wearing diapers whenever I thought that an accident was likely to occur. In those days, there were no disposable diapers. So I had to wear cloth diapers with plastic pants; and that required laundering the diapers a couple of times a week. High-capacity modern disposable diapers make managing incontinence much less of a hassle than it used to be.

I lived in a dormitory with a roommate while I was in university. I had told the university about my incontinence problem beforhand. They paired me with a roommate who also had medical issues, although he was rarely incontinent.