college student looking for support&stories

Archives1

Staff member
I started having symptoms when I was 18 and thought it was a UTI. After being given antibiotics by a doctor I still noticed a strong and sudden urge to go to the bathroom.

It wasn't until my second semester when I was referred to a urologist and learned it was an issue with my nervous system and that I had urge incontinence. I remember one week where I peed myself daily and felt embarrassed before I was able to see a doctor.

I'm taking medicine for it now which really helps so I no longer pee myself. I'm grateful that this is working, but I'm worried about what happens when I go off the medicine and am still experiencing the incontinence--and perhaps having to wear a diaper.

Also I am a tea lover, but I find that tea irritates me even though I'm on medicine. In place I've been drinking chamomile, rooibos, other herbal infusions. Anyone else have to change or stop certain foods or activities?

I'd love to hear stories from other people in high school or college (and from other girls in particular) as I haven't met anyone who shares the issue--only a close friend who said her cousin has the same issue.

Thank you!

Male or female?
If female how many times do you get up at night to pass urine?
Do you get any pain in your lower abdomen?

Sunflower,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. I'm glad to hear the medication seems to be working. Beware that most of the OAB meds are Anticholinergics and they have a less than stellar reputation for "curing" the issue. I took four different ones and none worked for me. I only got the side effects of constipation and dry mouth. Most people have found that wearing diapers or "protection" seems to be the lesser of all evils. There are no side effects, and they provide peace of mind for the "just in case" most of us don't leave the house without a diaper on and spares in a diaper bag, once again "just in case" we are here to support you. Let us know what we can do to help you.

I also suffer from a neurogenic bladder disorder, resulting from spinal cord trauma to my sacral region. It started after the work injury, which led to catheterization which was severely uncomfortable once I was back on my feet. My body doesn't accept any of the prescriptions we've tried over the years, and I've opted for pads and briefs to be honest. It's easier to maintain as long as I stay hydrated (and don't stink), but did take several years to become accustomed to. It no longer bothers me that I have to wear, and it's just another more expensive pair of underwear for me.

Hey!

I was on college about 5 years ago but I have been there. I only had issues with having accidents at night. I remember all too well having to quickly go to the laundry room downstairs and hope no one seems me so I could wash my things. Sometimes my friends would come into our dorm to wake me and my roomie up and I had had an accident. I would have to tell them to go get food without me or whatever just so I could get out of bed without them noticing. I am sorry you are going through this. I really don't have much advice, I just did the best I could to keep it a secret. If you ever need to talk though I understand.

Almost all colleges have programs for people with special needs. (Having such programs may even be required by law, but I'm not sure about that.) In any case, if you tell the college to which you've been admitted about your problem, they will try to find a way of accommodating your need. One likely solution would be for you to be assigned a roommate with the same problem.
I have had severe and frequent incontinence since I experienced a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old. It's been several decades since I went to university; but my problem is severe enough that I had to inform the school about it before I arrived. The roommate to whom I was assigned had another special-needs issue, but we supported each other and did well academically with each other's help.