CNN report concerning price hikes on Diapers.

Archives1

Staff member
Was reading news articles today and Cnn said that disposables baby diapers are going up 5-10% across the board. That would be a big jump if it hits what I use already.

Have not seen anything about adult products going up but figure we are next as well.

I am in the packaging business. Have not seen was has transpired with corrugated board and res8n cost for plastics in the 10 years I have been do8ng this. I would say there are increases coming on a multitude of products. Due to the demand in the market place.

you can almost guarantee they will follow suit unfortunately

ThatFLGuy said:
Was reading news articles today and Cnn said that disposables baby diapers are going up 5-10% across the board. That would be a big jump if it hits what I use already.

Have not seen anything about adult products going up but figure we are next as well.

Everythings going up. The government has printed over 5 trillion in one year. No matter what the fed says, you cant do that without inflation.

Second, covid caused a ton of bad ripples in the market, imports, manufacturing etc. add to that cost of wood, which makes papre, and there you go.

Its not just diapers. Try to get a burger and beer at your local pub for under $15. I dare you.

and it will only get worse if they pass a $15.00/hr minimum wage Welcome to Mc Donalds you want a regular cheeseburger a small fries and Coke ok that'll be $25.00 be up in a minute

Newbie2this said:
Everythings going up. The government has printed over 5 trillion in one year. No matter what the fed says, you cant do that without inflation.

Sexondly, covid caused a ton of bad ripples in the market, imports, manufacturing etc. add to that cost of wood, which makes papre, and there you go.

Its not just diapers. Try to get a burger and beer at your local pub for under $15. I dare you.

I really dont wanna get political but i do agree on that. Im moving my savings out of dollars. Crypto, maybe other things like silver or gold, but certinly not getting a house which i was saving for any time sooon.

DPCARE said:
and it will only get worse if they pass a $15.00/hr minimum wage

Newbie2this said:

Sexondly, covid caused a ton of bad ripples in the market, imports, manufacturing etc. add to that cost of wood, which makes papre, and there you go.

My dad is a builder/Landlord/Family business

And regular building wood has tripled in price.

Luck, my dad owns a sawmill and wood drying kiln.

But yea. Stuff is going up. My big worry is that I am at the point were I want to get out and take photos but will not do it without something better than the Abena pul-ups I use around the house.

Well you could always stock pile, but you may wanna talk to your vendor and ask them about your concern. I know north shore and other vendors read these forums, maybe they could give some near term guidance.

Lol yeah. Millennials are supposed to just spend every penny we earn, well i try not to. Some months more successfully than others. Lol.
ritanofsinger said:
Newbie2this - Savings????

Baby diapers are in such short supply, there are now Diaper Banks (like food banks). Look around this forum and see how many are so strapped for cash they can't afford a price increase for adult diapers.
Used to live on Canadian border, some work in construction, too. Does anyone realize how much of our wood products come from Canada? Starting a trade war with them sure seemed contra-productive. Like the US/Canadian fish wars of the 1970s-1990s.
Who makes up this inflation-rate reporting, anyway? My bills are going up faster than the so-called rates. $300 dollars for one grocery cart with no meat or premium products, 2-person family. Gas back over $3.00 a gallon. Sheesh.
Tell me. How do you live with wages under $15.00/hour? You need to read "Nickled and Dimed". Some cities/communities have gotten so expensive they are sweating finding workers for janitors and others at that level, because those people can't afford to live there.
1940s-1950s, one-wage-earner-family worked. Sure doesn't, anymore, for those of us not in the top 1%.
Dang! Don't push my hot buttons!

AlasSouth, This minimum wage thing is very controversial. I'm no economist but I know that many employers pay more than the minimum wage. Each state seems to have their own way of handling this. I paid my employees much more than the minimum wage at my Colorado businesses in the 1980s. Plus because we were a seasonal tourist community and the workers seldom worked 40 hours a week, I provided them with housing so they only had to pay for some utilities. That way my employees stayed with me year after year.

My granddaughter started working at Subway at Albuquerque minimum wage law over $9 ph. A year later she is at $11+. However, if she were not living with me it would be very hard for her to pay the going rate for rent plus all the other living expenses. That's why some young people are sharing three-bedroom rental homes in my neighborhood.

There does seem to be a shortage of willing workers here too, especially for "grunt-work," like landscaping and home repairs. Why do some occupations pay better than others? How is the value of the work determined? I think we need to re-evaluate these things. It seems to me that people working in the service industry and in the store-to-customer transactions experience a gap in what the value is supposed to be. It would seem that food suppliers, from the farmer to those who wait tables and wash those dishes should be termed very valuable since we all have to eat.

Minimum wage employees seldom complain to agencies about working practices where they are taken advantage of, because the employer deems them expendable and it's pretty easy to get a new hire for the low starting wage.

In the 1940s -1950s, housing (compared to today) and utilities did not take such a chunk from an earner. Look at phones.I used my landline long-distance calling until 2015 sparingly because it was costly. We didn't even have to have car insurance in those earlier years. A lot of people didn't insure their homes. We didn't spend much on stuff. My folks didn't even have an electric refrigerator or vacuum cleaner until 1949. We didn't have medical insurance and seldom consulted a doctor. I didn't have medical insurance from 1976 to 1991. If we had to see a doctor we just paid the bill and it was not a burden.

It's a good thing to push buttons, AlasSouth. Otherwise we go along accepting what ought not to be!

The world population has gotten out of hand and each of us thinks we have to have everything and not just everything, but the best service and latest model of everything. It's all on us. And we need to keep asking the hard questions.

Rita, i go back and forth. It seems like everyone would need to raise prices if tgey up the min wage - grocery stores and the whole supply chain outside of the truck drivers are all mostly min wage, if min wage goes from say $8 to $15 wont we see large amounts of price increases? Not just food but rent, landlords are gonna say “hey, my tenants all got a raise. Next lease renewal rents are going up the max allowed by local law”

Yes the minimum issue is very controversial, But food for thought,,, In Arizona min. wage went from $8 per hour to 12 per hour, and it wasn't very long until everything else followed suite, It use to cost about $150 per 2 weeks of groceries (some name brands) for a 3 person family and now with ALL generic brands it costs about $300 for just 2 people for 2 weeks. and that is not even mentioning the regular merchandise, we are almost forced to shop at Walmart for, because of the little bit lower pricing and we need all we can get for our money.

Just thought I would throw that in as I have personally been subjected to this price increase.

The people that were at the bottom of the pay scale had to have 2 incomes to make it, and now that the min. wage has gone up, there back at the bottom again at the end of the month with no more money or monetary gain at all. Everything is plain more expensive nobody gained anything. (pre-covid)

That's in Arizona

Greg makes a great point. the only people who get squeezed is the middle. The family making $65 k a year isn't getting a magic raise but they get the price increases. The upper middle class(doctors lawyers etc) that make a few times that national household average wont feel a pinch, oh naybe they will get a new BMW every 3 years and not two.

The 3 bad letters put together: R O I ,, they have to keep the same margin from product cost to product sale, if min wage goes up margin goes down, the only way to re-coop is raise the retail price.

You know the big business won't loose, they will just pass down the loss to us, in the form of price increase.

Not only will they not lose, they are pushing it to crush competition. Amazon and walmart have enough margin to pay their staff freaking $25 an hour and just increase each item by a penny or two but small shops can not scale like that.

@Newbie2this : Naw after the suit and ties take there share there is never enough for the "little" people.