Clamp

I've used one quite a bit. If you've never used one, they may look uncomfortable, but as with so many things, once you have some experience you find that the reality is different from the perception.

My experience is that they're comfortable and quite effective against dribbles and slow leaks. I have bouts of severe urgency, and my doctor suggested a clamp as a way to buy a little extra time to get to a restroom. It did work for that, but having my bladder in a spasm and pushing as hard as it could against a mechanical obstruction was unpleasant.

I still use one once when I instill lidocaine gel into my urethra, but I don't use it to manage my incontinence. If I had neurogenic bladder issues, I suspect I'd still be using it, though. I would imagine that they'd be useful for many men after prostate surgery, though whether they'd interfere with the healing process is a question is want to ask.

As always, though, talk to your doctor about it before you start using something new. I certainly can't give medical advice!

I used it for a while before getting an AUS. It worked, but I had scarring from a catheter and it got very uncomfortable as my bladder got fuller. When I definitely wanted to stay dry id use it.
I'd give it a try, if it works for you it's great. My Dr said it would help to keep my bladder from shrinking

I think the problem with these clamps is that they are only suitable for short use. If you wear them for a longer period of time, it can cause circulation problems. I know people who use them at night to get to the bathroom dry (they put them on in bed before they get up). The clamps work - but are not very comfortable to wear - especially when the urge sets in and the flow is stopped by the clamp. This can become quite painful in some cases.

For overnight use, a bed bottle is probably a better choice. One trick that can help if you still wake up but have trouble holding it is to roll onto your side, place the bottle on the bed and pee lying down, not sitting or standing. This reduces the pressure on the bladder and may give you the few seconds you need to pick up the bottle and get it into position.

Something I posted 3 months after my prostatectomy.

I received my Lunderg Confidence Clamp for incontinence on Sunday 12/13/2020. I chose Lunderg because the bottom pad is encased instead of covered and because there is only 1 pointed piece that fits in one of 4 holes. (You can see it in the link below).

It states to release and readjust every 1-2 hours and not for overnight use.

So far I like it. I release, pee, and readjust about every hour. Sunday I wore it for 4 hours, Monday 6 hours, and today (Tuesday) I wore it outside the house to buy groceries.

I am almost at 12 weeks using 1 NorthShore GoSupreme at bedtime, 2 depend pulls, and 3 depend pads.

I have watched the pressure - I use "for Small" bottom clamp and click it in the second hole. I am able to press on the head of my privates and the skin discolors and recolors appropriately. Not to tight to cut off circulation, but has been doing the job.

Lunderg sends through Amazon Prime - The price on both sites is $39.95 on 12/02/2021.

NAFC Search did not find "clamp" in titles, but mention in some of the threads.
Below is the link to the search with clamp in title and posts.

Wearing absorbents works fine for me so I would not be interested in using any kind of a clamp, and I think @DPCARE hit the nail right on the head when he said it looks like a medieval torture device!!!!
And @ltapilot had a good point re: bladder spasms pushing against the clamp so using that would be out of the question for me.

absolutely and I would be worried about reflux and back preasure

billliveshere said:
Wearing absorbents works fine for me so I would not be interested in using any kind of a clamp, and I think @DPCARE hit the nail right on the head when he said it looks like a medieval torture device!!!!
And @ltapilot had a good point re: bladder spasms pushing against the clamp so using that would be out of the question for me.

A urologist used one on me while preparing for a cystoscopy (sp. does anyone know how to properly spell this?) He had injected a gel into my urethra and this kept it from leaking out. I'd seen them before, but didn't want to use it. I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but I don't think it's good for prolonged use.

I tried to use one early on and found it extremely uncomfortable. When I next spoke with my urologist to see if there was a more comfortable version, I was warned not to use these due to the extreme pressure created during the bladder spasms I experienced. This pressure can build up and cause damage to the kidneys in some of us, we’re all wired a bit different, but I’d make sure to discuss with your Doc first.

thudson1965 said:
Something I posted 3 months after my prostatectomy.

I received my Lunderg Confidence Clamp for incontinence on Sunday 12/13/2020. I chose Lunderg because the bottom pad is encased instead of covered and because there is only 1 pointed piece that fits in one of 4 holes. (You can see it in the link below).

It states to release and readjust every 1-2 hours and not for overnight use.

So far I like it. I release, pee, and readjust about every hour. Sunday I wore it for 4 hours, Monday 6 hours, and today (Tuesday) I wore it outside the house to buy groceries.

I am almost at 12 weeks using 1 NorthShore GoSupreme at bedtime, 2 depend pulls, and 3 depend pads.

I have watched the pressure - I use "for Small" bottom clamp and click it in the second hole. I am able to press on the head of my privates and the skin discolors and recolors appropriately. Not to tight to cut off circulation, but has been doing the job.

Lunderg sends through Amazon Prime - The price on both sites is $39.95 on 12/02/2021.

NAFC Search did not find "clamp" in titles, but mention in some of the threads.
Below is the link to the search with clamp in title and posts.

I had my surgery Oct 6th. I ordered the same product get it tomorrow. My main use is going to be work.

I'm a nurse and all the walking causes a lot of leaking hopefully this cures it.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks everyone. My physical therapist suggested this for when I'm working. I'm gonna give it a try. Figure if it doesn't work out I'm only out $40. So why not. Will keep all posted.

I still say it reminds me of a medieval torture device

a6180328ade1755ba75b13e643ed7e9a.jpg
914b5e2ba92e39b51e588f259b584326.jpg

@DPCARE NOT HELPFUL nor HEALTHFUL

Look at the device link

Speak from your experience not imagination. Someone is asking for helpful, truthful advice based on personal experience.

If you do not have experience, do not respond! It clutters the blog / forum when someone is looking for answers.

and who put you in charge of the blog

thudson1965 said:

Look at the device link

Speak from your experience not imagination. Someone is asking for helpful, truthful advice based on personal experience.

If you do not have experience, do not respond! It clutters the blog / forum when someone is looking for answers.

thudson1965 said:

Look at the device link

Hi @jeffswet the way you spelled cystoscopy looks fine to me!! I do agree with you that this clamp may be best for short term use like having a cystoscopy. If anyone is thinking about using this for a longer time then do ask a doctor first!