City dwellers

Archives1

Staff member
Had to go into NYC yesterday. I’ve got to say city living seems like it would be so challenging with IC. No one lets you use their bathrooms, they are cramped disgusting if you are paying which makes changing very difficult.

My thought was though in the reverse is it’s almost easier to be IC and have to wear diapers because if you weren’t wearing one, how do you deal with living in the city and having to go? My wife even joked that when we go to the city, she should diaper up like me.

Any city people that can weigh in?

Yes, definitely more options to change in the city. Last weekend I was driving the length of Iowa and parts of rural Illinois, and at some points had to time things around the rare clean bathrooms along the way. Travelers tip - Caseys gas/general stores are good options!

No, see my experience is the other way. Less places to change in the city than the suburbs. It’s easy to go into any bathroom in the suburbs, and find places to change.

In the city, everything is so close and tight and private that it’s challenging to find anywhere.

For me, I find it easy to go to Starbucks, hotels, etc., which are easier to find in the city. Maybe Chicago is different than NYC.

I seriously don't know how people manage. My daughter and bf went to NYC for a week. I had warned them that there is an issue with toilet avability and they gave me a horrified look. But can't imagine eating a meal and being out and about. Still don't know how they managed.
I think your wife is on the right track with joining you in self preservation in city limits.

She won’t actually do it, it’s definitely more of a joke because we find joking about it helps me cope a little bit, but I get your notion.

Brings up old memories:

In the early 1970's I was working in a suburban QuikTrip. This was when convenience stores were just getting started. They were very small and cramped in every way; no gas stations as there are today; rarely more than one employee on duty at night. (Very dangerous!)

There was only one restroom, and it was very small and hard to get to. We were trained to tell people that it was broken.

One thing I like about this site, other than the advice, is all the smiles I get from the group comments. :)

I get it, like your wife I was not one to run to the restroom in every movie theatre restaurant or mall crawl. I'd wait outside while my friends would run rom toilet to toilet.

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end....
Google Mary Hopkins it's an old English drinking song for a pub crawl)

However a sense of humor about life issues. That's a gift that keeps us sane!

I agree, at least as far as NYC is concerned: there is a scandalous lack of what the British call "public conveniences." There have been times when I have gone into a diner and bought a cup of tea to go so I'd be considered a customer and allowed to use the restroom to, er, "go." Major railroad stations (Grand Central, Penn Station) have public toilets, but places like restaurants often are "customers only." Unlike those in other places, supermarkets and chain drugstores do not have public toilets. Starbucks, McDonalds, and similar fast food places are a good bet, as are branches of the public library. There used to be restrooms in the subway stations, but most of them have been closed, although such larger stations as Times Square and Union Square still have them. If you are in a museum, gallery, zoo, botanical garden, theater there will be facilities, as well as in some parks. This is one of those cases where it pays to plan ahead and never pass up the opportunity to use a rest room. Also, NYC is famous for having to wait in (or as they say there "on") line. Manhattan is the worst: the other boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, Staten Island) are more like small cities or suburbs. (There are rest rooms on board the Staten Island Ferry and the Circle Line cruise ships.) If you venture into the suburbs, most of the commuter trains have at least one car with a lavatory, but many of the commuter railroad stations are nothing more than a platform and some ticket vending machines.

I have never been to NYC, but yes, I have found it tricky finding places to change in the city. Have had to change my pants a couple of times because of it. I tend to err on the side of caution these days and buy a small something at a petrol (gas) station to be able to use their bathroom.

No major issues in London - I've made a note of toilets that are accessible for me. I did have a major issue when I went for physio last week though - had an accident on the train and the toilet in the coffee shop which I usually use was out of order. Luckily there was someone at the station and could unlock the disabled one there.

In terms of protection making things easier, I've found it quite the reverse actually. When I was able bodied and using guards and pull ups I could still use normal mens toilets. The minute you need a full on nappy/diaper things become far more awkward as you have to have a suitable toilet to change in. Not being able to change will inevitably mean a rash. The issue is now compounded I have serious mobility issues as I need one I have room to lie down in to change and often you can't fit the wheelchair in and have room to do that. Changing Places toilets are a godsend but not all that common (and often require having to get someone to open them).