Can you help my Mum!?

Archives1

Staff member
Hi Guys
Concerned fifty something son - trying to find a solution or help for my lovely mum.
She's 88 years old - has had Urge Incontinence for many years - and it's really getting her down and stops her from going out and living her life.
She has recently considered Femilife - but her doctor told her it's not such a good idea as she's recently had some surgery - but also that it's not suitable for her type of incontinence.
Can anyone help - has anyone found a decent solution that does not involve major and risky surgery for someone of her age?
Apologies if this is a really obvious post - I'm sure there are millions out there suffering with this life-changing condition.
We are in the South of England.
Any advice and help will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Hi Salvage,

As the mother of adult son and also a g.mother:Thank you for asking.
As an obvious first question: how about the urologist's visit and recommendations?

E.

I am a 75-year-old woman who has had urge incontinence for years, as did my mother before me. (She lived to be 92.) Your mother may be embarrassed by her condition because it is something that is not mentioned by people her age. I don't know whether this is true in England, but where I live, there are television commercials and print advertisements for a variety of protective undergarments for adults, and they are sold in every drugstore and supermarket, as well as on line. My mother found this reassuring because it meant that there were other people who had the same medical condition that she did. If you can introduce your mother to this site, she will discover that she is part of a community who help each other with advice about procedures, products, exercises, and much more. A nice tote bag is an accessory any woman might carry, and it can contain changes of pads and/or special undergarments and bags into which to wrap used ones to allow for discreet disposal. If your primary care physician can recommend a female urologist who specializes in treating women, your mother may find her preferable to a male who treats both sexes. Sometimes knowing that one is not alone is a great comfort.