Bus ride

Archives1

Staff member
Had to take a trip and plane was not an option. I rode greyhound (not recommended). I noticed in their terminal restroom whe desposing of my diaper there must have been a few other passengers with the same problem.

Do you mind saying why you don't recommend the bus?
I've often thought that bus travel may be a good alternative to the scans, searches, and awkward questions of air travel.

Well this is the third time I've taken the bus in last 20 years. First two times no problem. This time every time we stopped there seemed to be problems. When I go to where I was going they canceled my return ride, and I couldn't get a hold of anyone to fix the problem. Finally after complaining on their FB page someone fixed the problem. 4 days later

I haven't rode on a plane since college; and a bus since High School. I remember in high school; when I was getting taller - I had issues with my bladder not keeping up with my body; so I suffered from OAB (not as bad) in my teen years. My doctor said I would grow out of it; and even checked myself for diabetes which was negative.

But I do remember the bus trip; we were on the bus for about an hour and I had to go really bad but I didn't want to be the first person to use the bus toilet. Luckily one of the popular kids thought it would be funny to be the first to use the restroom as nobody had used it and got up and made a scene of himself going to the bathroom.

After he got done, I quickly relieved myself. After that, I felt comfortable using the on the bus toilet. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Blessing's In Christ,
Honeeecombs

LUCKY YOU. In the 1940sand 1950s when I rode Continental Trailways Buses, there was no such thing as a toilet on the bus. You had to go when a scheduled stop was made and often the cafe toilets left a lot to be desired in cleanliness. Plus you had to hurry. I made one trip from Oakland, California to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with no potty break! The bus was packed and took off my high heels. When I went to put them back on in OK my feet had swelled so bad the shoes wouldn't go on. I had sat by the window with a very heavy woman sitting in the aisle seat next to me. She went to sleep and leaned on me almost the entire trip. I was 21 and very slender and vowed not to do that again! But things change.

Many years later when I was a CT bus agent I was able to travel free. I took my 14 year old son on a three week trip and was able to arrange the schedule so we could get off and spend a couple days then go on. We went from Colorado to Texas and Louisiana then to Oklahoma and back to Colorado. In Houston I rented a car for a few days so we could go to Galveston and visit some relatives. We had a delightful time.

ritanofsinger said:
LUCKY YOU. In the 1940sand 1950s when I rode Continental Trailways Buses, there was no such thing as a toilet on the bus. You had to go when a scheduled stop was made and often the cafe toilets left a lot to be desired in cleanliness. Plus you had to hurry. I made one trip from Oakland, California to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with no potty break! The bus was packed and took off my high heels. When I went to put them back on in OK my feet had swelled so bad the shoes wouldn't go on. I had sat by the window with a very heavy woman sitting in the aisle seat next to me. She went to sleep and leaned on me almost the entire trip. I was 21 and very slender and vowed not to do that again! But things change.

Many years later when I was a CT bus agent I was able to travel free. I took my 14 year old son on a three week trip and was able to arrange the schedule so we could get off and spend a couple days then go on. We went from Colorado to Texas and Louisiana then to Oklahoma and back to Colorado. In Houston I rented a car for a few days so we could go to Galveston and visit some relatives. We had a delightful time.

You're going way back! I can only imagine how the bathrooms were. Growing up I used to go to a local community center and the bathrooms were horrendous and outdated.

Probably dating back to the 50s or even 60s like what you described. Being born in the 90s; Im still purplexed on who's idea it was to make what was the precursor to paper towel dispensers that were reusable towels that rolled and were reused.

I suppose whomever designed it didn't think of germs. Hahahaha.

Good story brings back to another era!

Blessings in Christ,
Honeeecombs

Honeeecombs, and if that wasn't enough, in 1953 in Tulsa at the designated bus station the water fountains and bathrooms were labeled, Whites only. And to further put people in their place, when there were two bathroom stalls you had to pay a nickel to use the "clean" one. I could never afford that! Two years later the high school students could choose whether to go to one of the three "white" high schools or to the newer Negro high school. After some experimentation the students chose to remain where they were. I graduated in 1955 and moved to Kansas and I don't know what happened after that but today the high school from which I graduated is largely black and Latino. And that's because that part of Tulsa is now the most economically depressed. I guess you'd call me woke. The schools in Kansas were already integrated when I went to high school in a small town in 1952. That may have been a unique situation since there were very few blacks but more Latinos. I find the history of all these things quite enlightening in understanding America.

ritanofsinger said:
Honeeecombs, and if that wasn't enough, in 1953 in Tulsa at the designated bus station the water fountains and bathrooms were labeled, Whites only. And to further put people in their place, when there were two bathroom stalls you had to pay a nickel to use the "clean" one. I could never afford that! Two years later the high school students could choose whether to go to one of the three "white" high schools or to the newer Negro high school. After some experimentation the students chose to remain where they were. I graduated in 1955 and moved to Kansas and I don't know what happened after that but today the high school from which I graduated is largely black and Latino. And that's because that part of Tulsa is now the most economically depressed. I guess you'd call me woke. The schools in Kansas were already integrated when I went to high school in a small town in 1952. That may have been a unique situation since there were very few blacks but more Latinos. I find the history of all these things quite enlightening in understanding America.

America is and always has been; a very interesting country.

The one thing I learned in school growing up in the 2000's I suppose could be referred to as "The Price of Freedom". If a vast majority in this country believe and that races should be segregated - then we foster a society that is pro-segregation. I don't think that people realize how much it took back in the 50's and 60's to change racial inequality in the form of the civil rights movement to take place.

I read an article about the F.B.I taking pride in the fact of not having a huge file on Rosa Parks - but yet the same agency does not like to talk about the retaliation and bias actions it took to Civil Rights Leaders like Doctor Matin Luther King Jr. But In that day during my research; that agency was operating in an environment that was still very much pro - segregation.

To relate this to continence I think back to my childhood and how bladder issues in general was something that was not talked about. That stigma still exists today I have found. While I feel normal on here amongst you all - unless you have gone through the trauma as a youth of the stereotypes people like us face or are dealing with bladder issues in general (which unfortunately I have not found anybody in my age group that can relate offline) - it can be a very isolating feeling.

Paying a nickel to use a public restroom is absurd. I am sorry you had to live in that era - but I am thankful that we as a country I am hoping are learning from those times to help create a more accepting future.

I think right now like what you said about unwealthy areas of towns and cities should be our direct focus. Income inequality is a pressing issue in our country today. We should be pushing more private businesses to grow in lower income developments to at least try to stimulate local economies.

I like to believe that better days are ahead - as long as the good people like us come together to help transform the country into a better place. It may be 70 years from 1952 - but we still have work to do.

Blessings in Christ,
Honeeecombs

In 1964 I had to cross the country and as a college student, I had no other means to pay to travel, that far - and had a deadline to meet to report to an employer so I could eventually go back to college. The first booking agent (Seattle) routed me all over the west. Finally, after 3 days of travel, the Utah agent asked which idiot had me travel that way, and got me on the express to Chicago - just in time to report to work the next day.
Up to the 90s, bus sgtatiions were inthe seedist plases in town, but that changed in a lot of places.
Of course, Greyhound had no problem getting me to boot camp in 1972 - leaving New Year's Day day of 1972.
Greyhound got me from Baltimore to Washington D.C. - the only way a Service Man could afford the trip. In D.C., the Solders, Sailors, Airmans, Marines Service Club charged $7 dollars a night (yes, seven dollars) for a tiny room and a shower and a few buck for a good breakfast. A one hour bus ride. I could afford that because we were at sea for up to 5 months a trip, twice a year. Lots of cheap things to do in D.C.
Now what? Things have changed, for sure. trakilways was the competitor, and still isx. I have to guess at hte prices - at $5.70 a gallon bus.
Those long buss rides were cheap, but grueling.

AlasSouth said:
In 1964 I had to cross the country and as a college student, I had no other means to pay to travel, that far - and had a deadline to meet to report to an employer so I could eventually go back to college. The first booking agent (Seattle) routed me all over the west. Finally, after 3 days of travel, the Utah agent asked which idiot had me travel that way, and got me on the express to Chicago - just in time to report to work the next day.
Up to the 90s, bus sgtatiions were inthe seedist plases in town, but that changed in a lot of places.
Of course, Greyhound had no problem getting me to boot camp in 1972 - leaving New Year's Day day of 1972.
Greyhound got me from Baltimore to Washington D.C. - the only way a Service Man could afford the trip. In D.C., the Solders, Sailors, Airmans, Marines Service Club charged $7 dollars a night (yes, seven dollars) for a tiny room and a shower and a few buck for a good breakfast. A one hour bus ride. I could afford that because we were at sea for up to 5 months a trip, twice a year. Lots of cheap things to do in D.C.
Now what? Things have changed, for sure. trakilways was the competitor, and still isx. I have to guess at hte prices - at $5.70 a gallon bus.
Those long buss rides were cheap, but grueling.

$7 a night? Thats a deal! Things have gone up so much even in recent times. I remember when $100 used to get you a cart full of groceries - now it'll barely get you a third.

Times sure have changed unfortunately.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

When my husband and I bought a 15 room motel in Colorado's ski country in 1976, a room with one bed was rented for $10 a night and in the summer for $6. By the time we sold the motel in 1984 that same room went for $30 during ski season. Our occupancy rate was over 70%. We were the Western Union agents and the Trailways bus station was in the lobby of our motel. What a great experience and what all-consuming hard work were those 10 years. The last five we also added the gas station next door, a gift shop, a plant nursery, we were agents for a taxi company and my husband was elected a town Trustee. You never know what you're capable of until you stick out your neck.