broken American medical system

Archives1

Staff member

Always remember the health care system needs to profit as much as possible from every minute spent in patient care. Advocating for each patients' needs means hours spent arguing with benefits administrators. Easier to dole out cookie-cutter care, send patients for tests just in case and overprescribe antibiotics because they might make the patient feel better.

If one is fortunate to have surgically correctable inco one may find relief within the first year.

Your right, our medical system in America is broken. But when we look at what’s broken we need to look at ourselves too. I rarely hear anyone say let alone admit we might be partly the cause. Our universities are partly to blame. They charge so much for tuition, doctors need to be paid so much to pay back their student loans. We have let our big pharmaceutical companies charge so much. Insurances companies now can override what a doctor says and argue about everything a doctor wants…blah, blah, blah. Everyone and everything is partly to blame. It too big a problem to fix and band aides don’t work either. The problem is so big there isn’t really an answer to fix it. We need to trash the whole system - but how? Too big a topic for me…

@tripichick I’ve never been over. Prescribed antibiotics in my entire life. I’m pretty sure that’s a myth.

@Chris318 The only solution I see is for the government to dictate that all of pharma and medicine to become non-profit, in addition to all upper education. Enrollment in med school has dropped severely. I think out of anyone, doctors and nurses should not have to pay to go to school.

I completely agree with Snow on a very important component of our healthcare system and that is education! By making the “Minimum” payment on student loans, too often at the end of ten years they owe more than they originally borrowed. Why they privatized “PART” of the Stydent Loan system has been nothing more than a sham perpetrated on the borrowers! All to line the pockets of friends and family that are/ were BIG DONORS! One of the main reasons you pay interest is risk. These loan servicing companies have ZERO RISK! If the student defaults, the government has another friend that has a collection agency, but meanwhile the loan is simply taken off the books of the loan originator / servicer POOF!
The other huge problem is students taking out huge loans to learn more about things they love without any thought as to how that degree will translate into earnings to pay for it!
I have a friend who is an incredible artist and paid her own way through NYU for a Masters in Art History (or similar?)and spent almost $250,000 for her degrees. Good and bad luck she won a Professorship at The Art Institute of Chicago, but competed against 1500 other applicants for the one job, and applications were limited to 1500 or who knows how many would apply?
With healthcare, yes there is an eventual payoff money wise, but a good friend of mine is 43 & still paying huge student loan debt. This is after doing every kind of volunteer for credit program he could manage on 4 hrs of sleep a night. His twin brother went to Northwestern, got his MBA in finance and not only did his Wall Street firm pay off ALL of his student loans after year 1, he makes 10x what his Doctor brother does!
These alleged COUNCILORS need to be held to some degree of responsibility, as I’ve never heard of one telling a student that you may love X, but you’ll be waitressing until you’re 50 to pay off your loans because these councilors are most often like scam used car sellers because no matter what the degree they get paid a percentage of every loan they “Originate”
If you think we have problems now, give it ten years! These are the current facts: If every desk in every nursing program were full today and 100% graduated on time, we will still be short 30% of the nurses needed as our country ages out.
Before you start blaming the Doctors, remember that in order to pass Obamacare, our Reps & Congressmen & women gave the final say over all of our care & prescribed medicines to the insurance companies, so now you have someone with a Masters in Ancient Languages sitting in a cubical deciding your future plan of treatment….
I apologize but my Wife and 3 sisters are all in medicine and each one is ONE headache away from quitting. My former PCP, a FABULOUS doctor, quit to volunteer with Drs. Without Borders she was just so disheartened & frustrated, when every single order she placed just for me was rejected or overridden & she had a wait list of patients….

snow said:
@tripichick I’ve never been over. Prescribed antibiotics in my entire life. I’m pretty sure that’s a myth.

How would you know? Placebo effect may make you feel better.

Here's a refresher course in case you've forgotten your college bio.

I have worked in healthcare for 30 years. It is amazing to me how the care has diminished over that time period. The last 3 years have really hurt the field. Glad I have the knowledge and ability to pick my healthcare providers based on my knowledge of them or people I work with. I truly feel bad for people that have no ability to do this.

@tripichick- going to jump in and defend @snow (not saying she needs to be defended) but the tone and sarcasm aren’t necessary. I agree with her most drs don’t overprescribe antibiotics; if anything it’s things like pain meds (speaking as someone who works in a pharmacy) and for the record not everyone takes college bio.

@Giantsrule8719 Thank you!!!! tripichick has caused problems here before and I and others reported her to admin but apparently she’s still an active member.

@Sprung87 You are correct. I worked more than full time while going to Uni more than full time. I paid for my college (a B.A. at the U of U, an MFA at Columbia, and post-grad at UCLA). I’ve always had a 4.0. There aren’t very many scholarships in film, in fact, at the time I was going to film school, there was exactly only one scholarship in the world in film, the Grace Kelly scholarship. And guess what, I didn’t get it. In the final year of my MFA, I had to borrow $11,000 from the Feds to pay part of my tuition so I could pay for my graduate thesis films. I made the mistake of transferring that loan to ACS, which has been sold umpteen times (ASA, Xerox, ECMC, blah blah blah) and is now obnoxious, unhelpful Nelnet. Despite having made payments in most of the 26 years since graduating, I now owe $19,797!!!!! The feds are a lot more forgiving, so I’m going to try to transfer my balance back to them.

Fortunately for me, my degrees have 100% paid off in terms of fulfilling my life, making my dreams come true, and putting me in a higher income bracket - though not high enough, because ultimately working in film is still working in the arts where the pay is lower than if I had gone into computer science, for instance.

That school loan is the only debt that I have on my record. It keeps my credit score very low because it looks like I owe a credit card company that much money or something. I don’t think your school loan amount should be on your credit score at all! Neither should medical debt! In the meantime, I’ve paid rent for 35 years and none of my good payments are on there, ditto every utility - think of all those good payments for a landline, cable, cell, electric, gas, water, HOA, etc. You get no good credit for paying on time for most of the things in your life. You just get in trouble for debt. I don’t know how much longer it’s going to take me to pay off that damn loan. I may still owe money when I die! I’m 46! My parents were about my age when they finally paid their master’s degree loans off in architecture (dad) and social work (mom) because my dad owned his own firm and did well.

I think if I had been able to stay married longer, I would’ve been able to tackle more of my school loan faster, and get into a house, but alas, that didn’t work out. I currently live in the state with the lowest wages, and the highest rent and housing when taking into account the average income, which is $40,000. Then on top of that I get to suffer the country’s largest gender wage gap of 38%. A starter home here costs $500,000 minimum. A 2-bedroom apartment costs $2,500/month minimum. I actually had more spending money when I lived in Marina Del Rey, less than a mile from Venice Pier. Those were definitely the best days of my life.

Fortunately, since COVID and remote work became allowed, now when I work, I usually work for companies based in Hollywood, but as a single woman, I still haven’t made enough money to own a house because of that school loan, but I do get to live about 80% of the lifestyle that I would like to have. When I lived in CA, I had 100% of the lifestyle I wanted, with regular national and international travel.

Then I got hurt, and I got two kinds of cancer simultaneously. If I didn’t have $1,300 in medical expenses on average per month, I would definitely be having a good time in life and living the life I want to live. Medical expenses have really interfered with my ability to pay off that damn school loan or to buy a home.

So if any of you are young out there, and considering getting into school debt, be very, very careful about which field you choose to go into. Make sure it’s one like computer science where you’re likely to actually make a decent living from it. I chased my passion in the arts, and it really paid off for me, but it didn’t pay off for anybody else I graduated with, except for one other person that I graduated with who is a successful Editor now. Make sure you actually have talent in the field you’re pursuing; don’t waste your time and efforts in things that you’re only mediocre at, or worse. I was making movies and music videos by the time I was 15. If you can’t get good grades in the subject that you’re pursuing, then you’re probably pursuing the wrong subject and you should switch majors. I feel really bad for the people I graduated with who just totally failed once we moved to Hollywood.

I left high school after my junior year and joined the Navy. i never really had any plan for my life. Just play it by ear. what i did have was a mother that worked 2 jobs while i was growing up. She made $1 per hour and gave the baby sitter 1/2 of that to watch her kids for 16 - 18 hours a day. Then later working with my step-dad early mornings before school on the ranch my moms old bosses bought and asked him to run it. Job paid $400 a month for him and i got $100 a month in the summer. We built fence in the. mountainous area of northern california, installed irrigation, raised cattle, chickens and pigs. My parents had six kids living on that income. They moved onto logging and that's when i went in the Navy at 17. what i got from them was a great work ethic. i spent 12 years in the Navy from a supply ship out of Japan back and forth to Viet Nam and my last 8 years on submarines. Always kept learning in correspondent courses and moving up. i learned ships navigation, instrumentation, running the TV studio to show movies. After the Navy learned went to work as an electrician in the shipyards in San Diego. Then back up home to Mendocino County and started working in sawmills. Learned programming PLC's, and pole climbing, power distribution and running a large scale power plant. Then hired as an engineer for a state of the art brand new sawmill in Washington. Six years later got a offer i couldn't refuse from another sawmill as a manager. From there i went to Ocean Spray as a engineer. Two wineries later i'm the engineering manager. I'm a private pilot, have two dirt track race cars, own my house on 5 acres free and clear and have enough implements of destruction to take care of it. i may have taken the long way to get here but i don't owe anybody anything except two more years on my little tractor cause they said 0% interest so i'm okay using there money and leaving mine where it is. if i had it to do over again i would do it the same way. i could retire today but i'm still having fun and teaching my team. And the more they learn, the easier my job gets. Two of them are college grads, one of them a phd. We all have something to share and give back. it hasn't always been great or fun but when i didn't like my job or felt treated unfairly, i found a better job for more $$ and kept advancing my career. Overall life's been great but i took it head on and steered it where i wanted to go. i did not wait for anyone to hand it to me. I thank God for my parents and thank them every day for instilling this drive in me. My heart goes out to you with that debt for college, but i still don't believe it's up to the American Tax payer to take that on. As i said before, that was a choice. i want a swimming pool so i will get on my backhoe and start digging. Love you guys but if a dummy like me ca do it then anyone can.

wyr13 said:
I left high school after my junior year and joined the Navy. i never really had any plan for my life. Just play it by ear. what i did have was a mother that worked 2 jobs while i was growing up. She made $1 per hour and gave the baby sitter 1/2 of that to watch her kids for 16 - 18 hours a day. Then later working with my step-dad early mornings before school on the ranch my moms old bosses bought and asked him to run it. Job paid $400 a month for him and i got $100 a month in the summer. We built fence in the. mountainous area of northern california, installed irrigation, raised cattle, chickens and pigs. My parents had six kids living on that income. They moved onto logging and that's when i went in the Navy at 17. what i got from them was a great work ethic. i spent 12 years in the Navy from a supply ship out of Japan back and forth to Viet Nam and my last 8 years on submarines. Always kept learning in correspondent courses and moving up. i learned ships navigation, instrumentation, running the TV studio to show movies. After the Navy learned went to work as an electrician in the shipyards in San Diego. Then back up home to Mendocino County and started working in sawmills. Learned programming PLC's, and pole climbing, power distribution and running a large scale power plant. Then hired as an engineer for a state of the art brand new sawmill in Washington. Six years later got a offer i couldn't refuse from another sawmill as a manager. From there i went to Ocean Spray as a engineer. Two wineries later i'm the engineering manager. I'm a private pilot, have two dirt track race cars, own my house on 5 acres free and clear and have enough implements of destruction to take care of it. i may have taken the long way to get here but i don't owe anybody anything except two more years on my little tractor cause they said 0% interest so i'm okay using there money and leaving mine where it is. if i had it to do over again i would do it the same way. i could retire today but i'm still having fun and teaching my team. And the more they learn, the easier my job gets. Two of them are college grads, one of them a phd. We all have something to share and give back. it hasn't always been great or fun but when i didn't like my job or felt treated unfairly, i found a better job for more $$ and kept advancing my career. Overall life's been great but i took it head on and steered it where i wanted to go. i did not wait for anyone to hand it to me. I thank God for my parents and thank them every day for instilling this drive in me. My heart goes out to you with that debt for college, but i still don't believe it's up to the American Tax payer to take that on. As i said before, that was a choice. i want a swimming pool so i will get on my backhoe and start digging. Love you guys but if a dummy like me ca do it then anyone can.

I raised two horrendously expensive special needs kids while wfh ss a medical transcriptionist. First born tore through $100,000 in medical with three surgeries and months in reeking body casts for hip dysplasia. Having a 27-week preemie after cervical cancer cost an amazing $1/4 million.

Then I had a stroke while working from a weekly rent motel our first month in Eugene. Kids disappeared into foster care. Partner and I slept in a parking structure and had a weekly shower at the homeless service station while waiting for social workers to arrange Medicare and aneurysm clipping surgery. I simply peed in my sweats. Partner had to figure out things like briefs and walkers on his own.

american health care prioritizes profit.

i think we could have free health care in this country if we quit giving away our tax dollars to foreign countries. Absolutely no reason for that. We even give our enemies big US Dollars. Makes no sense while our people suffer and are driven to poverty.

@wyr13 “i think i lost track of the main subject of the post,” Yep, you sure did!

I never, ever said I expected someone else to to pay for ***my*** school loan of a pisspoor $10,000 (compared the $90,000 I paid as I went). I don’t!!! You’re right; I made the choice to go to school and to get the school loan. The problem is that the entire school loan system needs to be fixed so that the cost is not so high and so they don’t trick you. They even lied in the fine print! They told me my interest rate was fixed; they lied! Since you don’t have a school loan, because you never got a higher education, you totally don’t get it: school loans are very corrupt. *That’s* the problem people complain about and that’s why those of with school loans are pissed: we were misled. Almost anyone who had a school loan in the past 40 years was deceived. I’ve paid back my $10,000. In fact, I’ve paid more than the original $10,000! Yet I still owe $19,000! So yeah, some of us want reparations for having been lied to, and been charged illegal interest. You don’t actually read the news or you would understand that’s the issue, not trying to get a handout m. You’re clearly ultra right-wing and convinced anyone with a school loan just wants a hand out: think again!!!! Give me a break! I don’t personally know *anybody* who is expecting a free school loan forgiveness hand out from the government. I don’t think you understand that with school loans, you never pay down more than anything except interest, and you earn interest when life makes you take a forbearance. You earn interest on interest on interest. They’re loans that would never be legal in the mortgage system, for instance, nor the car loan system. But when they’re selling you the loans, they make you believe that they’re the easiest and most fair loans across the land. They promise you that you’ll be able to work in your chosen field, which is a complete lie. When they first offer you the school loans, it doesn’t sound like any of that is the way it’s going to go. That’s what people are pissed off about: we were lied to about the terms and nature of the loans, even in writing. THAT is what needs to be fixed. Higher education should also be nonprofit, unlike entities like Harvard that sit on huge, huge piles of investments and savings, while continuing to rip students off. Just like public elementary school is nonprofit, so should be higher education.

Don’t put words in my mouth and say I expect taxpayers to pay for ***MY*** education, which cost me close to $100,000 that ***I*** paid as I went along by working more than full time while I was at UNI, the entire time, and getting perfect grades at the same time, too. I barely slept for a couple of decades. Not *one* of my other friends in UNI even had a part-time job! Did I ever ask you, or anybody else, to reimburse me for that $100,000, or the $10,000 I originally borrowed or the $19,000 I somehow still owe? No, not at all!!! So back off!

When we’re running out of essential workers like doctors and nurses who do disgusting jobs that very few of us can actually handle doing, like working around death 24/7, just because their education costs them over $250,000 and it really is a type of education where you cannot work while you attend that school, then their tuition needs to be free, or very much decreased, rather than cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. you didn’t have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the privilege of going in the Navy, did you? No! So why should an architect have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in education to be able to do his profession? I have a couple of friends who paid about half a million each to become doctors. They will never be rich because of their school loans, and because doctor salaries have dramatically decreased over the past decade. A psychiatrist who gets $250,000-$500,000 of school loan debt and spent 12 years of their life in ultra-intense higher education and interning, will never make more than $90,000 in today’s market. Why would anybody go to medical school then?! I don’t think anybody actually wants to be a doctor; they’re just people who think they want to be rich. But when you remove the possibility of being rich from being a doctor, and instead you make them go into half a million of debt to be a doctor, no wonder nobody’s in med school!

Utah has the largest population under the age of 18, yet we have just two child psychiatrists currently working in the entire state because there just are not very many psychiatrists anymore! The only doctors who are making a lot of money are radiologists and anesthesiologists. But we all need many other kinds of physicians. Utah has the highest quantity of per capita population under the age of 18, yet we currently only have two child psychiatrists in the entire state because there are just not very many psychiatrists anymore, anywhere! The only doctors who are making a lot of money are radiologists and anesthesiologists, who make $25,000-$350,000. But we all need many other kinds of physicians in our lives, not just radiologists and anesthesiologists. Since doctors and nurses save lives, I’m just saying, I think their tuition needs to be dramatically reduced, if not entirely forgiven, because of the nature of the work they do, and their value to all of society.

You got really lucky. Most people who started out like you did wouldn’t end up where you are, especially not somebody of the current median age’s generation. Anybody graduating from high school these days really needs a minimum of a bachelors degree to earn just the average, low-class income to be able to barely be able to afford the outrageous housing and food costs these days. Just because you manage engineers doesn’t mean you’re an engineer yourself; engineers have masters degrees and official licensure. Since you admit to not having gone to higher education, you’re clearly not an actual engineer.

“Engineers must complete a minimum of a four-year college degree, work under a Professional Engineer for at least four years, pass two intensive competency exams and earn a license from their state's licensure board. Then, to retain their licenses, PEs must continually maintain and improve their skills throughout their careers.”

“To use the Professionsl Engineer seal, engineers must complete several steps to ensure their competency.

-Earn a four-year degree in engineering from an accredited engineering program
-Pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
-Complete four years of progressive engineering experience under a PE
-Pass the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam

@tripichick Why didn’t you or your partner have health insurance when you had kids? How irresponsible. Why, after having one disabled child, did you go on to having another, knowing it would likely also be disabled? That’s just cruel. You shouldn’t have kept those children if you couldn’t afford to take care of them or yourselves properly; they should have been placed up for adoption on the day they were born.

Nobody needs to pee in your pants in your car; there is always a public place to pee somewhere. Sorry to hear you were homeless - I was almost there once myself so I understand how quickly and easily it can happen, particularly with disability. It sounds like something else such as drug addiction was likely happening, too. There are bushes everywhere, rest stops, gas stations, McDonald’s. If you’re in so much poverty that you have to reuse your disposable diapers (impossible!!!) and pee your pants, how do you have a computer and access to the Internet to be able to use this website, and the funds to be able to host your own website to sell your potholders? If you have enough money to buy the weed you’re such a fan of, you can afford to buy clean diapers.