BPH and leaking

Archives1

Staff member
I've brought this topic up before. I've tried flowmax and had dizziness. The other meds are a no-go with my job. So I'm left wearing pads. I visit my urologist annually.

I'm two years into this and I've noticed my leaking is getting worse. It's pretty much a steady ever so small drip through the day and night. The pads feel damp but not soaked. If I use pads i go through 3 a day and I wear Threaded Armor training pants at night because they are comfortable.

Over the last week I have experimented just using pull-ups during the day. I feel like I'm close to needing them all the time. Anyway I'm rambling and looking for others with BPH to chime in.

@AUG168

There are lots of options besides absorbent products:

1) I have had several cystoscopes to dilate the urethra: under general anesthesia.

2) I have an implanted "bladder pacemaker", called an "InterStim". It generates electrical interference to the nerve that serves the bladder. The generator is under the skin, on my back, just above the belt line. A wire antenna lead is under the skin from the generator to near the nerve. I control its function using a special pair of devices: one looks like a cellphone, the other is about the same size but does not have a screen.

3) I have also had a procedure called "REZUM". It's a simple, 5-minute procedure under general anesthesia. The urologist injects small blasts of steam to shrink the prostate.

All these have done a great job at relieving my symptoms, and there are other things that can be done. I am sure some other people on this forum will have other suggestions for you.

I hope this gives you some ideas to discuss with your urologist.

NOTE: Not all urologists can perform all these things, so you might ask your doctor for the name of someone who does.

Got this article in email today...maybe this helps:

HELP RELIEVE SYMPTOMS OF BPH WITH INTERMITTENT CATHETERS

Many men struggle with an enlarged prostate, or BPH, which can cause uncomfortable urinary symptoms and urinary retention. A lesser-known treatment option, self-intermittent catheterization, may be a solution to help you find relief.

An enlarged prostate – also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) – is one of the most common
causes of bladder issues in men as they mature.

Typically, the prostate gland continues to grow in adult life making BPH common in men over the age of 50. As the prostate gland continues to get larger, it impacts the bladder and can press the urethra,
limiting or blocking the flow of urine.

With an enlarged prostate and narrow urethra, limitations to completely empty the bladder, a condition
called urinary retention, can cause uncomfortable urinary symptoms from mild to life-threatening. This
can affect men in different ways but ultimately there are two types of urinary retention:

Chronic urine retention.
This develops over time and symptoms are not always obvious. People with chronic urinary retention can urinate but cannot completely empty the urine from their bladders. With the pressure from the urine left inside the bladder, the bladder muscle can slowly stretch and become weak. Symptoms such as trouble urinating, frequent urination, or leaking urine, are indicators to speak with a healthcare professional about symptoms and possible treatments. Chronic urinary retention can cause serious health problems and shouldn’t be ignored.
Acute urine retention
More significant, uncomfortable, and potentially life-threatening, acute urinary retention, is a serious condition that should be addressed with a healthcare professional right away. Acute urinary retention includes symptoms such as severe abdominal pain and the inability to urinate.
TAKING CONTROL OF YOUR SYMPTOMS
Not all men need treatment for BPH. Treatment options usually depend on symptoms, age, overall health, and the prostate size. Options for treatment can range from adjustments in life style to medications, to medical procedures, or surgery. Recommendations from a healthcare professional may also include the use of an intermittent catheter.

Using an intermittent catheter to regularly and fully empty the bladder may help avoid urinary retention symptoms or complications. Self-catheterization can provide many men who have an enlarged prostate with the control they want over their bladder symptoms.

Speaking with a healthcare professional is most important to discuss what options may be best for you.

INTERMITTENT CATHETER SOLUTIONS TO ADDRESS BPH
Self-intermittent catheterization (IC), is the insertion and removal of a catheter throughout the day in
order to help empty the bladder completely. This technique can be either a short-term or long-term
solution, depending on your medical condition. It is always best to speak with a healthcare professional
if you’re experiencing any urinary symptoms or complications and to best understand if IC is a solution
for you.

If you’ve been prescribed an intermittent catheter, the process to self-cath, at first may seem overwhelming. The me+ program from Convatec is here to help navigate life using intermittent catheters, with access to certified nurses, innovative product solutions, and helpful articles with tips and advice.

“The me+ program is amazing and was so helpful to me and my recovery! Thank you Convatec for providing these immensely valuable resources.”

Convatec me+ member
It’s easy to find a product solution among the wide range of innovative GentleCath™ and Cure Medical catheter options. New products like GentleCath Air™ for Men with FeelClean™ Technology, can help make self-catheterization easier and more comfortable, whether you are at home or on-the-go. GentleCath Air™ for Men is discreet, portable and offers superior comfort.* Discover relief today and learn more about ordering free samples.

AP-034119-MRL-US
AP-60432-USA-ENGU

I switch to pull ups a number of years ago (6-7?) in place of in the underwear pads. I have BPH, and bladder neck "issues". Unlike yourself I do not leak continually but do leak after urinating (or if I cant get to the bathroom quick enough). This leaking after urinating, sometimes is a squirt and done, other times it 5-10 minutes(?) of dribbles. I know opinions are a dime a dozen and everybody has one but...personally I would not go back to pads. For me pads were uncomfortable to wear, moved around, would come unglued, and with a moving "discharge" many times there was a miss. I didn't want to wear pullups because of? pride? to easily seen? I dont know. But for a couple, few yrs I avoided them and used pads. Then I tried pullups in place of underwear and really like them, over pads (if I had a choice I would wear "regular" underwear with no help). the coverage area is larger, the absorbency is much better, and unlike the pads there is no moving to one side or coming unglued, etc. Currently I am using Because market overnight for men. I wear them during the day. I like the extra security of the higher absorbency level. They have a standing leak guard which I like, again, with the moving discharge, it doesn't matter the aim the leak guards direct the discharge to the center. They work very well and I believe they are unnoticeable. Pullups don't work for me at night, I only wear them during the day.
There are a few downsides that I can think of. If you need to change it is more difficult that pulling a pad out of your underwear and replacing it. During the summer months I do have some issues with diaper rash and chaffing in between my thighs. (they are an absorbent product that includes absorbing sweat). There is no hiding them if you get "caught" with your drawers down. there is probably more I didn't think of.
On the whole, for me at least, the pros outweigh the cons. That's why I wear them. Each of us has to figure out what works best for us.
Hope this helps you all.

I had the REZUM process about 6 years ago for BPH and I could rave about. The only issue was the urologist missed my prostate cancer resulting in my prostate removal a year ago. That doesn’t diminish the REZUM process, I’d have it again tomorrow if I could and I had a prostate.

Mike

MezaJarJarBinks has good info. My urologist removed 65% of my prostate doing a "Green Laser Light" surgery. That solved the BPH issue. I still had OAB and tried ever medicine over many years. None of them worked and the side effects were bad. Like MezaJarJarBinks, I've had an Interstim implant that has been helpful. Find a urologist who knows about these two things, and you, too, should have better options than having to wear pads and pull ups. Best wishes.