Botox

Archives1

Staff member
For those who have had Botox injections, did it help with leakage? From what I've read, it seems to help with retention, but I'd like to know if it reduces/eliminates leaks too.
Thanks!

Yes when I had it done it did, my painful spasms were less but, it made my retention much worse, personally they told me, I would either need too self cath 8 times per day, or more, or just come in and we will place a Foley catheter. Which I needed to do. So even thou they continue to pressure me to have more botox treatments I have delayed.

@risas I have had Botox twice. The first time it did stop leaks, but I had to self cath all the time. The second time it stopped me going when I wanted to, but didn't stop me leaking in-between. I don't think that I will try a third time, cheers Phil

I had botox 4 times. The first time it worked and lasted for a couple of months before I started to leak. Every time after that it did work but for a shorter period of time. It got to the point that it wasn't worth doing that. Also, I never had to use a catheter. It might be worth a try for you. I am incontinent from a radical prostatectomy and I tried botox 15 years ago.

I have had Botox 4 times. The first time, it only lasted a couple months. The second time, it did not work. The third time, it lasted for five months. What a great five months those were. The fourth time, didn’t work. I am scheduled for another Botox in early March. Praying that it will work again. It takes my pain away completely, when it works.

I had it done and went from complete incontinence to full retention and that was a nightmare between the caths and uti's. Do your homework because I was told Botox would fix the constant leaking and it did but to extreme opposite.

I just had Botox done a couple of weeks ago. Helps a good bit but still some issues. Have a follow up in a week. Will try it again but guess they just have to figure out the correct # of injections for next round.
Seems to help though.

@jrpoorman it is good to hear that it is helping you, I hope it continues to work for you, cheers Phil

Thanks Phil,
Urologist said it takes a little while for it to work effectively so will see how it goes. I opted to not do anesthesia and just have the lidocaine in the bladder. I didn’t know they were going to use the old straight cystoscopes. For guys just know that the straight scopes hurt once it needs to get around your natural ureathral curve. I think next time I may just let them knock me out. Once the scope is in the needle pricks aren’t very bad.
Hope everyone is doing well.
Have a happy Valentine’s Day everyone 😊

Kind regards,
Jim

@jrpoorman hi Jim, I was awake both times, but they used a flexible scope. I even got to watch it on the screen, not for everyone! Cheers Phil

I can handle the flex scope. Neat to see our parts inside working.
He just used the solid scope since the are more precise for injections. It’s all good although I asked him to use the flexible one next time. 😊

Hope you are having a good day today.
Jim

@jrpoorman I'm waiting to try the interstim implant next. It isn't offered at many hospitals in the UK, so my wait could be about a year. Have a great weekend, cheers Phil

Doc did tell me the new interstim batteries last up to 15 years now. He offered that too but I wanted to try the less expensive option first 🙂. Will consider that if the Botox outcome doesn’t work the way I need it to. Dropping $500 copay the beginning of the year really hosed me for a while on the Botox treatment. So love our initial out of pocket each January

Started on Botox 5 years ago for OAB, it helps with less frequent leaks as i did only wet at night, then one day I had real bad back pain and had to go to A&E and diagnosed with Uro sepsis. After tests they informed me I had retention so had to start self cathing. Also ended up with CKD and a more overactive bladder than before so have to wear nappies now 24/7.

The Botox, since my recent first injection helps some. Still have mixed feelings but will see how the next round goes. Has definitely kept me from having to take oxybutinin so I’m happy about that.