Botox for under active bladder

Archives1

Staff member
I have been diagnosed with underactive bladder and my urologist next month is giving me Botox at the prostate and urethral sphincter.

Has anyone had this done

as it is I tend to store 800 -1200mls before I feel it if I don’t have overactive symptoms that day.

my private continence nurse and public health urologist have divided me into different treatment plans as the urologist refuses to communicate with the continence nurse

be carfull not to get to much botox. my friend had a over active bladder. after botox his bladder was paralized and he had a foley for over a year.

I had Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation treatment for overactive bladder and I was told it can be an effective treatment for underactive bladder as well. I was very surprised that this helped my overactive bladder symptoms as much as it did. But it did. The doctor places a needle on nerves near your ankle that affect bladder control. You’ll have one session a week for 12 weeks and then maintenance treatments as needed. This procedure is done in the office.

Having your treatment providers at odds and not talking to each other is an awful situation. It will interfere with your getting the best care/treatment possible. If you have other options for your treatment, I would check them out.

"rdelauro" = What kind of Dr. did you see for this procedure? Chiropractor? NaturalPath? MD? Do?, etc?

It was an MD, urologist.

My overactive bladder was due to trauma to the bladder, a result of removal of bladder cancer and the subsequent treatment to avoid its reoccurrence.

I was having regular Urinary Tract Infections. Which eventually responded to some aggressive anti-biotic treatment - stronger and longer than usual. Since the symptoms of UTI's are like the symptoms of overactive bladder (urgency and frequency) it was often difficult to tell what my symptoms were due to. I was getting the antibiotic treatment at the same time I was getting treatment for my overactive bladder.

The doctor and I discussed three treatment options for the overactive bladder: Sacral Neuromodulation, Botox and Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation. The PTNS was the least intrusive, so I chose that option. It seems to have worked. I'm not experiencing the frequency, urgency symptoms, whether due to UTI's or OAB. I am very thankful.