Botox and Self-Catheterization

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everyone. Has anybody had Botox injections for incontinence and then had to self-catheterize four times a day? Thanks.

Yup I had it done and I went from complete urinary incon to full retention and having to use caths. It was no fun and had uti after uti. Thankfully mine lasted around 8 months if I remember, never again.

Hi, I’ve had bladder Botox injections over the past 6 years for OAB and urge incontinence, I found it very helpful although it did not cure the incontinence it made it so leakage was not so heavy. I was having complete voids but now find that the bladder only half empty’s. I did not realise my bladder wasn’t emptying properly until I started getting serious UTIs and a major kidney infection and urosepsis. So now I self catheterise twice daily. Unfortunately I still have to wear tape on briefs but I have learned to live with that now. I was scheduled to have another bout of injections in April however the pandemic has put a stop to that and I have no idea when I will be going in for a further procedure. Back in the betterdry now and the forcite am/pm max absorbency briefs. Really hope I can get another procedure soon as it gets me down a bit.

I get Botox injections every four or five months. I usually have to self cath for most of the time between, which is partly due to the Botox but may also be related to benign prostate enlargement.

In my case, cathing is a nothing little procedure. It took me a few days to get used to the sensation and not hurt from it, and since then it's been no big deal. I've had only one UTI since I've been cathing.

Not everyone has as easy a time of it as I have, though.

@Col2138 Have they not restored elective procedures in the UK yet? They’ve been restored in the U.S. since early May.

@gwillie I get an extra huge (for the stingy U.S.) dose of Botox when I get injections (200cc). I’ve never had to self-catheterize. Here they start you at 100cc and may not be willing to increase the amount. I’ve read that the UK, Canada, and Australia start at 300cc. Perhaps you can ask to start at 100cc to see how you do.

snow said:
@gwillie I get an extra huge (for the stingy U.S.) dose of Botox when I get injections (200cc). I’ve never had to self-catheterize. Here they start you at 100cc and may not be willing to increase the amount. I’ve read that the UK, Canada, and Australia start at 300cc. Perhaps you can ask to start at 100cc to see how you do.

Hey Snow,

Urologists start us in the UK on 100ui to see how we fare with the drug. I asked to skip the 200ui opting for the full, 300ui next time as I really felt the benefit from just 100ui. It felt like my bladder had gone back to how I was when I was young, fit and healthy.

snow said:
@Col2138 Have they not restored elective procedures in the UK yet? They’ve been restored in the U.S. since early May.

Still waiting and think the waiting list is huge now!

@snow
No they haven’t started procedures like this again yet, I was told they are currently only doing diagnostics. We may be waiting a good while yet as parts of the northwest of the country is back on lockdown with more to follow.

@Col2138 It is the same at my local hospital. They are only doing cancer surgery until the risk of a second wave has passed.

@laalaauk Good to know! Yes, Botox injections are easily the most effective treatment I’ve had. I can understand why those who end up having to self-cath hate them. I’m so glad that doesn’t happen to me. My only problem with the injections is how expensive they are. But fortunately this year, I’ve met my out-of-pocket max with my insurance, so I’ll be able to get them for free; one set within this month, then another set in December. They’ll last until at least April 2021, whew!

snow said:
@laalaauk Good to know! Yes, Botox injections are easily the most effective treatment I’ve had. I can understand why those who end up having to self-cath hate them. I’m so glad that doesn’t happen to me. My only problem with the injections is how expensive they are. But fortunately this year, I’ve met my out-of-pocket max with my insurance, so I’ll be able to get them for free; one set within this month, then another set in December. They’ll last until at least April 2021, whew!

Honestly when you get used to using them, they are not a major issue. I suffer with pee shy too so this is another great help in that I can go in a public toilet if I have to.

I have just had the date through for my repeat procedure and having to self isolate for 2 weeks before I go in, also need the Covid test a few days before the procedure. I don’t mind self catching. My ic calms down a fair bit after the procedure although I still need to wear protection. It really does help.