Botox and other treatments

Archives1

Staff member
I saw a new urologist today and he said his goal is to get me out of diapers. To do this, because all other therapies failed, he wanted me to consider sacral nerve stimulation or Botox. I asked him what the costs were and he couldn’t answer me.

I looked it up and the sacral nerve device could cost out of pocket 20,000 to 30,000 dollars. Has anyone here had their insurance cover all of it? And if not what was the final cost? Was it affective?

Botox looks to cost 800 per injection. Can anyone who went this route tell me how much it ultimately cost? Was it affective? I have heard it loses efficacy over time and can have some severe side affects.

This is for urge incontinence.

Hi Tarlton one way to get more information here: if you go to the Nafc website by pressingbthe blue bar at the top you can see all threads and look forvtitles with interstim or Botox to read peoples various reactions to these.
One thing for sure is its a highly personal reaction to treatments, various people have different results.
I guess my experience of any type of medical prescription treatment or surgery ANY TYPE is that what one alters in the human body has other reactions. Picture a see saw, no one thing is altered without another thing changes.
Good luck! And continue to talk here, whatever your concerns the results.

Interstim, second implant I’ve had, has never worked for me. Botox typically lasts 4-6 months. Worked great for me and I am planning on having it done again. Medicare and health insurance covered both Interstim Implants and Botox injections.

Botox has to be repeated every 6 months or so. Did you physician mention PTNS? It might be worth starting there to see if stimulation works for you before you have an implant. Botox, PTNS and SNS are generally covered if you meet the criteria but out of pocket/deductibles would be on you.

So I have botox injections roughly every 9 months thru the VA. However mine is going to be different from yours. I have neurogenic bladder incontinence meaning I have no feeling or control at all. I cant tolerate cath due to pain and UTI's. So they do botox to force the sphincter muscle to stay open and allow drainage into a diaper.

I have thought about asking if the device could be used to make the sphincter release when I want, but not sure the VA would cover the cost.

Hi Tarlton,
I just had another urology visit and the doctor and staff were great. Out suggestions are similar. I’m trying a new prescription first and then Botox. I would check around and see what alternative agencies can help with the cost. Maybe you can find some help with out of pocket. PrYers for some financial help with this.
Jim

Botox, PTNS, and Interstim (SNS) haven’t helped me. But my urologist said they are effective in a lot of people. Lucky me.

Allergan, which makes Botox) had some kind of reimbursement program that you may qualify for. Check their website. Also check with your urologist about insurance coverage. Mine told me that some don’t cover SNS and Botox, because the consider them expérimental.

My friend had complete success with Botox for about 6 months. Then it became less effective. I don't know when she will get her next shots.

Botox has helped me. I have a follow up appointment in December and think I need more units injecting as they only injected 100 units. There is evidence to suggest that 300 units yeilds the best results and I feel that I am a third the way there so far.

At age 73, I have urinary urgency/frequency issues.

I started with meds. That was followed by testing and 3 cystoscopy dilation treatments.

Then we tried the external test of Interstim. When that showed some success I went ahead with the full implant. That was replaced about 18 months later because I was draining the battery too fast. Now I am more-or-less stable at every 2-3 hours before needing to urinate.

Most recently, I had a procedure to reduce the size of my prostate. The procedure is called "REZUM". It is uses a needle and steam to destroy tissue from inside. It is very easy for the doctor to perform, but you must insist on anesthesia. It has been helpful, and it continues to improve over about 1 year afterward.

All this was covered by Medicare and supplemental insurance. There is a deductible, but that varies based on your own insurance. You should ask them what they will pay for.

Trust not in your good deeds, but in the Lord Jesus for your salvation.

I pray for all who suffer from so many health and financial problems. 🙏

Thanks JarJar 🙏 Prayers for you to Brother.
Hope everyone has an amazing weekend.
Baltimore is doing a pretty neat light show around the harbor and some other communities. We are taking the Grandkids. Should be a nice event.

Thanks for the tips on the Botox too. So far the new oral med is a little better than oxybutinin but it hasn’t been a week yet so we shall see what week 2 provides.

Jrpoorman,

May God bless you and your family at the Veterans Day celebration.

And, I give thanks to Him for all our brave and courageous veterans. I am so proud of all that they have done to preserve the freedoms we have been blessed with. I won't go into specifics, but it breaks my heart to see how some of our citizens are trying to destroy our country from within.

God has blessed America beyond all others nations in history, but we are responsible to preserve it. Thank's be to God from whom all blessings flow. Amen.

Amen to that and thank you. Our Country has been Blessed indeed. Have a Happy Veterans Day weekend!
Kind regards,
Jim