Bedwetting 8 months ago

Archives1

Staff member
I am 54 and in excellent physical health (bodybuilder). My blood work is all excellent except for an elevated PSA. I have been under the care of one of the best urologists in the country and he follows me closely. I have some slight urinary retention of about 150cc and he is not worried. He says the prostate is slightly enlarged because of my age.

8 Months ago I wet the bed and thought it was an isolated incident. I drink about 100 oz water a day from 6am until 6pm. My urologist and I felt it was the prostate medication, Uroxutrol, which relaxes things to allow for better flow so he stopped the med. Didn't work. He then prescribed Desmopressin which did not work.

It began as a weekly incident and then became daily over a couple months. I started wearing a pad. Also, I tend to leak a little during the day during physical activity. Not a lot and can mostly catch it.

The UI happens when I am sleeping or if I dose off in the evening when chilling with the wife.

I see my urologist on Nov 15 for an exam and Cytoscopy.

Anyone experience this?

You're following proper procedure. I have been bedwetting nearly my whole life due to being a heavy sleeper.

Did he do just finger test or ultrasound on prostate? Mine was enlarged but couldn't tell with just finger test. That was with 3 different doctors. I was 47.

Finger. Said it’s enlarged with no bumps. He stopped using PSA a couple years ago and went with PHI - prostate health index. It’s more detailed and gives him a better idea if there is Ca.

Yeah, I wouldn’t trust a finger with a rubber glove on it, compared to ultra-detailed modern radiographic imaging equipment.

Insurance usually determines protocol. Sad,but true. They try to find the least expensive procedure first, hoping it works. Then the next, and so on...

Absolutely. The insurance will not pay for MRI or US as the doctor hasn’t found cause.
artiejr said:
Insurance usually determines protocol. Sad,but true. They try to find the least expensive procedure first, hoping it works. Then the next, and so on...

A couple of suggestion: Check your medications and find out if there is anything that may cause urination. If so, check with your doctor about taking it earlier in the day. When I travel or visit someone overnight I set my alarm to wake me up every few hours to go to the potty.

In order to find a cause, these re standard protocol. Insurance are bean counters, cheapest first, then proceed. They'll spend 10 dollars, to save 5 dollars.

artiejr said:
In order to find a cause, these re standard protocol. Insurance are bean counters, cheapest first, then proceed. They'll spend 10 dollars, to save 5 dollars.
Right on the money! It’s not about patients. It’s about profits. Sadly, we get the wrong end of it.

BAJBAD said:
A couple of suggestion: Check your medications and find out if there is anything that may cause urination. If so, check with your doctor about taking it earlier in the day. When I travel or visit someone overnight I set my alarm to wake me up every few hours to go to the potty.
Thyroid meds in the morning from a total Thyroidectomy in 2001. Meds are taken in morning. No other meds.