Bed wetting and side sleeping

Archives1

Staff member
Any recommendations for protection for those who are side sleepers and wet the bed? I wear overnight pull-ups but some mornings wake up to wet sweatpants- I typically sleep on my side but I know people move around during sleep.

Pull ups sag more when wet all that hold them up is elastic. - use plastic backed tabbed diapers with leak guards - tabs make you able to get the diaper nice and snug - even when wet they don’t sag as much

Assuming you're a man, I highly suggest wearing something snug/tight fitting. That's important for several reasons but the most important is to make sure your penis is pointing down (super important) at all times and a snug diaper will keep it pointing down. Second reason is the "snugger" the fit the better the leg gatherings and waistband will work to prevent leaks.
I move a lot in my sleep and primarily sleep on my sides and rarely do I have any issues with leaks even though my bladder drains all night long.
I wasn't sure if I should attach a photo that shows exactly what I'm explaining about the importance of a snug fitting quality diaper. If it's offensive I'll gladly remove it.
Remember this, those of us that sleep with our loved ones it's very important to wear products that are both quiet and sufficient. I mean if we're wearing noisy products or getting up to change either way we're waking up our loved ones and that doesn't have to be the case.
7984cb2a649c9224eb1b8efd61519a84.jpg

Lifelong bedwetter and the only thing I can usually depend on to keep sheets dry are thick cloth diapers, pinned on snug, with plastic pants tucked in well at the legs and waist. I am primarily a side sleeper also and will wet numerous times a night. Nothing is perfect which is why it’s also essential to have a good mattress protector under the sheets. No disposable products have ever worked well for me overnight. During the day quality tape on briefs work well.

@Giantsrule8719 Depends Night Defense. They are plastic-backed. I’m a female; not sure if you are. Might be different for a man because of pointing issues. But I imagine the male Depends make up for that

Depends are totally incapable for me. Daytime I need better dry, at least, to hold 8-10 hours. Overnight very thick cloth ( an 8 layered adult prefold with 4 baby diaper prefolds inside) and plastic pants are necessary for me to hopefully keep sheets dry.

I'm in the same situation - side sleeper and bedwetter, and I tend to change sides many times during the night. I don't (generally) leak a lot as far as quantity, but its almost every night. I've tried at least 10 different pull-ups and while I found a couple I can afford that work fine during the day, I haven't found any that are secure enough around the legs for nighttime. Tab diapers are the best solution for me to make sure everything gets absorbed during the night. It seems like I've been sleeping more soundly knowing I don't have to worry about waking to damp sheets.

donny4 said:
Lifelong bedwetter and the only thing I can usually depend on to keep sheets dry are thick cloth diapers, pinned on snug, with plastic pants tucked in well at the legs and waist. I am primarily a side sleeper also and will wet numerous times a night. Nothing is perfect which is why it’s also essential to have a good mattress protector under the sheets. No disposable products have ever worked well for me overnight. During the day quality tape on briefs work well.

What he said.... I have also found that cloth diapers and plastic pants work best for me, to stop leaks. Also, although they cost more initially, in the long run, they are cheaper than disposable diapers, if you're wearing diapers every night, or day and night. When I travel, I'll wear a disposable diaper, with a cloth diaper and plastic pants over it, just incase of a leak. And as some others mentioned, guys can point "Mini Me" down to further reduce the chance of leaky diapers.

@donny4 I would never go 8-10 hours during the day without changing a diaper. That’s very unhealthy for your skin. You should change it after every time you wet, or, if you wet constantly, change it every hour.

I bought the reusable chux from Amazon and use bed pads. Me being fluffy, no diaper will fit me. I will say, after so much washing, the chux are no longer waterproof. The bed pads aren't absorbent enough to be used alone. I also fold up a twin flat sheet. So I use all 3 each night. I am so tired of laundry and the smell, but what can I do? I want to try that wick thing I see on TV. Anyone know anything about those?

@Fluffygal82 It’s called Purewick and doesn’t work for stomach or side sleepers, but look into it. It’s also very expensive but there’s a chance that the manufacturer can give you a discount or that your insurance company might pay for part or all of it.

17871c8ab9319d390412c70e872b7c62.jpg

New here, first time poster. 33M and always been a wetter. This is what I use for my bed. I sleep on my back and sometimes my side. I just wear regular underwear to bed and this does all the work for me. I wash my clothes in BORAX laundry detergent and they come out of the dryer NOT smelling pissy. Also, my wife is very supportive, in fact she found these for me. Hope this helps, JD

@Jcim943 Welcome to the forum! You’re off to a great start by sharing your tip with us! May you find friends and good advice here :)

I’m a side sleeper too. I have tried different diapers and found that the mega max works good for me. I also have a disposable bed pad I sleep on so if I leak it’s not a problem. Over the years I have found different diapers work better for different activities.

JC I appreciate your suggestions. For myself however I wet numerous times a night and would end up in a flood without diapers. Thick cloth diapers with good fitting plastic pants is the only reliable system I’ve ever used that’s most reliable. Quality disposables during the day work fine, but not overnight.

Drop the pullups - they just are not adequate at night, particularly for a side-sleeper. Instead, wear a good-quality high-capacity tabbed diaper with a booster pad. Then wear a diaper cover (plastic pants) on top.

Cloth diapers are the best solution as they wick through the entire diaper. However, many find them to be inconvenient.

For your bed, a washable incontinence pad is essential because sometimes mega-leaks can happen.

I'm double incontinent and have been so for years. I hate waking up in a wet bed. The tips above have served me well and could help you. Good luck.