Battling incontinence post catheter

Archives1

Staff member
Got catheter out 3 days ago and have no bladder control - depressing. Doing my kegels but wondering what next steps to restart some level of control. Getting a condom catheter but hoping that not a long term need. Any recommendations on products to normalize life?

Kegals, walking, core exercises and most importantly patience which I did not have either. We all heal on our own timeline. For me it took almost 9 weeks to see significant improvement and 12 weeks to almost normal

Doing it all, and still dripping…almost 3 months post….keep hearing everyone is different. I also know patience is a must, but it is hard not to run out of it.. take any suggestions myself…

Wanted to share something with you, I had bladder surgery then had a catheter removed. If I recall correctly, things did get somewhat better with the catheter. Due to myself having bladder surgery around the neck, I had more leaks, HOWEVER after the catheter was removed it seemed like it was worse the first few days. Everyone recovers different and I always say when unknowns exist, take it a day at a time. They have guards for men as well if you dont like the male external system.

Glenpman,I don't want to alarm you, but I had my proctectomy combined with a bladder diverticulotomy over 4 years ago. I am still incontinent. I had previous bladder control problems prior to surgery including green light laser surgery. I was warned of long term incontinence prior to surgery, but wanted to get rid of the cancer. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will need diapers for the rest of my life. Pads or pull ups don't work for me. I'm 74 years old. After a time one gets use to a new normal. Best of luck on your recovery.

Hi Glampman,

Everyone is different and heals differently so have patience and hope and keep doing your pelvic floor exercises.

The external catheter system is a boon, especially when worn with something like Coloplast's Active leg bag. I use this system and is very helpful at keeping me dry.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I am 75 years old. I had my prostate removed almost four months ago. I went to a physical therapist, learned the proper way to do Kegels and other exercises. Now, and only occasionally, I dribble when I am on the golf course or exercising. My next hurdle is correcting the erectile dysfunction and I am very hopeful I can also overcome that problem. Best of luck Glenpman. Keep working and you will improve.

Do not over analyze it Glenpman. Depression can be a slippery slope.

Did you have prostate cancer or why were you catherized in the first place as I am not sure if it is meant to get better for you etc….

Best other option is to get good protection.

Hopefully that helps and hope it gets better for you.

Cheers.

Jason

I am 68. My robotic radical prostratectomy was March 11th—so nearly five months ago—and the incontinency has not changed. Currently working with a PT, who has assigned me the attached exercises to strengthen my pelvic floor. Please note that my surgeon warned me against wearing "an incontinence device with an attached bag, a condom catheter, or a clamp. If you do, you will not develop the muscular control necessary for continence."

In regards to recovery time, he said 80% of his patients are recovered by their 12-week followup. That was certainly not the case with me. Of the remaining 20%, 18% recover within the first year and 2% require additional surgery to permanently remedy the issue.

It depends largley on what condition your bladder was in prior to sugery. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say. I was catheterized in the ER for extreme retention issues earlier this year on two separate occasions, the second for 6 weeks right up to and including the day of my surgery.

At my last PT session, I ran into a minister who was visiting patients at the facility. He told me he had his prostate removed in the 1990s and still wears a thin liner to this day. His brother who underwent the same procedure has never experienced incontinency of any kind.

So each case is unique. I just have to keep reminding myself how lucky I am to be living in the 21st century. You can trace bladder issues back to the ancient Egyptians, who used papyrus reeds to catherize themselves. Ben Franklin fashioned one out of silver for his brother. It has really only been since the advent of vulcanized rubber 150 years ago—and later, silicon—that catheterization has even become a viable option for the population as a whole. The first robotic prostatectomy was performed in 2004.

Thank your lucky stars, my good man, and take it day by day. Slow and steady wins the race.

16ab78615db116b78e12d72307e17864.png
3ad8c1fdedf2bf81ca52e9f4b6b33309.png
d28ea0d832d85271381b8f588b678cb0.png