Bariatric surgery Gastric sleeve

Archives1

Staff member
Hello everyone one,

I am scheduled to have the Gastric Sleeve procedure done the 23rd of next month. Have a couple of questions for those who have had it. I have had 3 previous surgeries, not counting 7 colonoscopies, and have only been cathed for one. The others I just wore my diaper to. I have been told I will be in the hospital 1-3 days after the surgery and was wondering if other who had it were cathed or wore diapers for their stay? Also how hard was it for you to change the first few days you were home?
I have a phone appt with nurse in a couple of weeks and will aske her also.
My wife wants me to ask for a catheter as she thinks I will have a hard time to change.

Thanks for your assistance.

I had a laparoscopic gastric sleeve in 2016… thru 5, one inch incisions. Procedure was done at 7am. I was out of bed and walking by 3pm. Walked the required minimum of 600ft by 7pm, and would have been discharged home except they decided to keep me overnight, just to make sure all was okay… I weighed 550# starting out… 290# and stable since 2018. They did a foley cath which was removed by late afternoon. My only regret is that I waited 25 years to get it done. I hope this helps.

@Maurice

I am glad it worked out for you. I am guessing they are keeping me in the hospital as I am having the procedure to see if it helps my liver. I am seeing the Dept head from UCSF and he said to try this as nothing else is bringing my liver numbers down. My liver is now the largest organ in my body and my spleen is enlarged so they are taking extra precautions.