Axionics Neural Stimulator?

Archives1

Staff member
Yesterday I consulted with a urologist who determined that after having Green Light Laser Surgery back in March some things had been remedied, mostly UTIs. She feels I now must figure out how to deal with OAB and the urgency that still remains. I have had an Interstim implanted device for about 4 years and it has been useless. I need to have that changed to a unit that allows for an MRI of my back.

The urologist told me about a new device called Axonics Sacral Neuromodulation. The key difference between Interstim and Axionics seems to be that the Axionics device has a rechargeable battery that will last up to 15 years. The Interstim battery must be removed and replaced about every 5 years. I am considering what to do, replace the Interstim with a newer MRI-compatible device or switch to the Axionics device which is also MRI-compatible.

Does anyone have experience with the Axionics product?

I don't but if sacral nerve stimulation didn't work before, why does the doctor think it would work now?

I have fallen a couple of times and the wire isn't working as it's supposed to. That might be due to the falls.

@fleemoore
I have been on Medtronic InterStim for many years now with good results. I just had mine swapped out for the latest model because, like you, I want to be able to have an MRI when needed. However, I did not get the rechargeable version. My surgeon and I agreed that the recharging process would be a hassle.

(I also have a Medtronic heart pacemaker.)

The device I had removed had been in for about 5 years and still had 2-3 years of life left. The surgeon said the newer model had an even better battery life expectancy.

Actually, the newer device is more trouble than the older model, because I have to keep a close watch on the battery of 2 external devices: the cell phone handset and the Bluetooth connector. Both must be charged, and both must be turned on and partnered to control the internal InterStim device.

My surgeon warned me to make sure the Bluetooth device does not completely discharge, because it would take a very long time to recharge.

I might add that it does take a good amount of skill on the part of the surgeon to get the lead wire in just the right location. I suggest that you ask your surgeon how many procedures they have done. If possible, ask the sales rep what he thinks about the surgeon's experience.

I discussed both the Medtronic rechargeable device and the Medtronic non-rechargeable with my surgeon before I had mine out in. I chose the non-rechargeable one because it's less hassle, and I figure that technology is moving fast enough that I'm not going to have it in for 15 years anyway.

My surgeon placed the leads while I was awake so I could provide feedback. She ended up having to move them from one side to the other because she couldn't get them in a good place on the one side. Having it done this way was painful, but I'm glad she did it. I get to set the intensity very low, and the device works great for me.