Artificial urinary sphinchter

Archives1

Staff member
Has anyone considered this as an option to severe incontinence? I am thinking about it but have great reservations. Jim

Jim,

In 2009 I considered doing the artificial sphincter, since I was using about 4-5 Depend pads per day. I live in Maine, so decided to go down to the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA, since a friend of mine had had good luck with an artificial sling he had gotten there. I had hoped to get the Advance Sling, but after talking with the urologist there he said I would be drier if I chose the sphincter. Because of my wife not wanting to drive in Mass. traffic, I decided to find a surgeon in Maine who could do the operation. I could only find one who does just a few of these each year (big mistake). He punctured my urethra, and one month after installing the sphincter he had to remove all 3 pieces of it. I learned my lesson: don't be afraid to travel to wherever you need to go to get a surgeon who has done a GREAT many of that kind of operation each year.

You haven't said how incontinent you are. How many pads a day do you go through? Or do you use some other system?
I believe the sphincter is a good system to have, because I have talked to local men who have gotten it from a reliable surgeon and it has worked good for years. I probably could be dry now if I had only chosen a qualified surgeon. So, do your research, and depending on how incontinent you are you could choose between the Advance Sling and the artificial sphincter. If you can go to a nationally known hospital, such as Lahey, etc. you could talk to a urologist and get good guidance. They put a camera up my penis and urethra and checked me out thoroughly before giving their advice.

Swanee

I had a prostecomy 3 1/2 years without clean margins. PSA started back up 2 year later. Had 38 radiatin treatments and2 years hormones. Tried collogen injections twice. Ended up with bleeding and clot blockage. Finished 7 weeks with a catheter yesterday and had virtually no control last night. Trying to decide on the surgery on try to live with the incontinence. Maybe an external catheter at night??

Jim,

You need to talk to a good urologist who can judge how good your health is and whether you can stand the surgery that a sphincter would entail. If you can't have surgery, perhaps there is another way to help your incontinence.
If you are able to undergo surgery, reread my last message to you and go to a reliable surgeon who is very experienced in the operation you choose. Don't let fear get in your way.
Google "prostate cancer support group" for your state. I bet you can be put in touch with someone who has had the artificial sphincter operation done, and maybe they can steer you to a good surgeon. I am a member of such a group in Maine, and we do have members who have had the operation.

Swanee